Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 11:47 AM

19 posts, read 100,950 times

Advertisements

Hi all....it's been awile since I posted, but I appreciate all the information you've given me so far. I'll be in Charlotte April 25th-27th and plan to look around at rental houses (I plan to move in July)....the online search has been daunting so far. I'm having a hard time finding many houses for rent online and all the realtors I talk to are really pushy about buying vs. renting. Yes, I've heard people say renting is like throwing away money, but it doesn't make sense for me to buy until I know the area.

Are there many rentals in the areas mentioned? My max rent is $1800, I would like at least 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, and it's very important to have a fenced in backyard for my dog. I want to be close to the city and in an area with young, single professionals.

Thanks for any advice!

P.S. I wish I could be in town the 24th so I could attend your get-together for the females...It sounds like you all have had a great time at them and I cannot wait until my first!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 10:33 PM

72 posts, read 220,292 times
Unfortunately, it's hard to find rentals more than about a month before you want to begin renting. I, too, am looking to relocate to the Elizabeth/Eastover area, but not until August. I've been scoping it out since the fall, and I'm typically able to find 5-10 houses available in the area at any given time. Within that, a few might meet all those guidelines. But unfortunately, the houses you see in late April will probably be available in May, not July.

However, here are a few of the sites I've been using, in addition to Craigslist, which I'm assuming is kind of a given. I check every couple of days and usually find a few good things.

Brown and Glenn Realty (http://www.brownandglenn.com/availprop_test.php - broken link)

Real Estate

Brenneman Thompson Properties (http://brennemanthompson.com/ - broken link)

Old 04-14-2008, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the information...I thought I might be searching too far out, but wanted to look at some places while I'm there in a few weeks, just to get a feel for what areas I like, which ones have the type of neighborhood I'm looking for, etc. Besides, this is the fun part to me so I'll have a good time just driving around looking at available houses!

Good luck on your search!

Old 04-14-2008, 09:34 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,428,999 times
There are a lot of advantages to renting. Realtors want you to buy because that's how they make money.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:39 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,600 times
Look in specific ZIP codes...

28203 - Dilworth
28207 - Myers Park
28204 - Elizabeth
28205 - Chantilly & Plaza Midwood

GOOD LUCK!

PS - If you find anything...you have to act VERY quickly. Intown rentals go VERY fast and are usually not cheap.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:31 AM

184 posts, read 467,426 times
Go to property management cos, like Brown & Glenn, Dwelle, MECA, etc. From what I remember, they have properties in the areas you desire. Don't know about their on-line version, but Creative Loafing always has ads for properties in NoDa, Dilworth, Elizabeth, etc. from individual owners. Good Luck!

Old 04-14-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
There are a lot of advantages to renting. Realtors want you to buy because that's how they make money.

I agree...it really ticked me off that they were being so pushy...I said I wanted to rent, they said no you should buy. I said I want to rent a single family home, they said no, you should get a condo, I said what areas I wanted to be in, they said no you should move farther out. It was incredibly annoying...they weren't even listening to what I wanted...I'm not some young, naive country bumpkin who needs someone to tell me what to do....I know exactly what I want and I didn't appreciate being spoken to like I was a child. They lost my business because of how they spoke to me....I think I'm just going to look on places like craigslist and not bother with a realtor.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:49 AM

Thanks so much everyone for all the replies...you have been very helpful, as always!

Old 04-14-2008, 06:58 PM

21 posts, read 113,855 times
I was very recently in your same position, and just to add to the above comments which I will second most of them, TR Lawing Realty, Rental Homes Charlotte NC was another site with a pretty good listing of rentals if you want some assistance from an agent. However I did not work directly with anyone from that agency so I can not speak to their customer service.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:08 AM

Thank you....I'll take a look at their website today. Did you recently move to Charlotte or were you just changing neighborhoods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte