Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2008, 07:38 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,468,592 times

Advertisements

There was a thread recently about police procedures, but I have a specific question so I thought I would ask in a new post.

DH and I witnessed a car accident on Friday night. We were driving along Steele Creek Road on our way home after taking a look at DH's new company's job site. It was after dark, and we were a bit lost, as we're not too familiar with this part of town (another reason DH wanted to drive through, as he will soon be working in the area).

Anyway, we witnessed an accident that looked much worse than it was - the two young girls in the car were not seriously injured, though scared. We saw them go off the road and hit a tree head on. Speed was most definitely a factor. We called 911 and pulled over while the authorities did what they needed to do. The firefighters who arrived on the scene first told us to wait because the police would ask us to give a statement.

Well... we hung around for an hour while the accident was cleared up. We thought for sure the police would talk to us last after they did what they needed to do. Well, soon enough, the firefighters left, the ambulances left, the tow truck left, and the police cars left... and nobody asked us a thing! We were the only witnesses, so to us this seemed really strange. Was this just apathy on the part of the police? Did they just forget we were there? Or, did they not need a statement from us since nobody was injured?

I know we did the right thing by calling for help, as the girls in the car never called 911 (they called family/friends instead). But it just seemed weird that the police never asked us anything. Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 08:29 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,252,507 times
If you witness a car accident and there is an injury, immediately call 911. Make victims as comfortable as possible, but do NOT move them. Moving an injured person can turn a minor injury into a serious one. Give your name to the police and to the parties involved in the accident. Make notes about what you personally saw. You may be called on to reconstruct the accident later; for example, by giving a recorded statement to an insurance company. In most circumstances being a witness will not take much time, and your information helps make the roads safer for everyone.

I would also use caution if there is no other witnesses or other parties involved.
My mom witness this car go off the side of a mountain and she offered assistance and within a month later she was bein sued for causing the accident stating she ran them off the road. (The case was dropped) You just dont know what kind of people you are dealing with these days.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:12 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,468,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I would also use caution if there is no other witnesses or other parties involved.
My mom witness this car go off the side of a mountain and she offered assistance and within a month later she was bein sued for causing the accident stating she ran them off the road. (The case was dropped) You just dont know what kind of people you are dealing with these days.
This is what we were afraid of. But, since nobody asked us for any details, I can't imagine they know who we are! 911 only asked my husband for his name and cell phone number. I assume the police would be able to find us with just that information though.

We'll be sure to record our collective notes over what we saw - that's a really good idea.

I still hope that if I was ever in need of assistance, someone would help me without fearing we would sue them.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:23 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,574,293 times
In another state, after I gave my name to the ambulance driver who asked me about initial injuries (head injury, person was unconscious), the police left without talking to me. About a week later, the insurance companies called for recorded statements. Then months later, I got a court summonses to testify about the driver, not the badly injured one, whom I had helped and told the EMTs smelled strongly of alcohol. At court, no one talked to me and the case was "nolo contendere" so I asked the prosecuitor what had happened. He seemed surprised to see me but explained that with the insurance statements and the lack of a record for the driver, they arranged a deal. Very surreal to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte