U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2008, 12:23 PM

29 posts, read 91,769 times

Advertisements

Hi

Can anyone give me information on any Irish Dance Schools that are in the South Charlotte area?

Any information would be appreciated.

Would like to know how big they are, how friendly they are, how disciplined the teachers are with the students, do they do shows around town, how active the parents are with the school?

Anything else about the schools would be very appreciated.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 01:39 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,443,833 times
I don't have firsthand knowledge of any of this, but I thought I'd pass on some information I found on Google. Here are some links that may be helpful. Good luck!

Rince na h'Eireann School of Irish Dance

Walsh Kelley School of Irish Dance

Both appear to be located in S. Charlotte. Maybe someone with personal experience can chime in on one or both schools.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:15 PM

72 posts, read 208,410 times
oh shoot, i know there is a family in my church (in s. charlotte) who is HUGE into irish dance, but i don't know where they go. i'll ask them sunday and get back to you.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabercro View Post
oh shoot, i know there is a family in my church (in s. charlotte) who is HUGE into irish dance, but i don't know where they go. i'll ask them sunday and get back to you.
Thank you very much, I would really appreciate anything you can find out. What church do you belong to in South Charlotte?

Old 04-20-2008, 02:08 PM

Thank you for the two websites. I checked them both out.

To the poster who has the friend at church who is into Irish Dance, did you have an opportunity today to talk with them? Would really appreciated anything you can find out. Thank you!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:40 AM

15 posts, read 35,518 times
Default Charlotte Irish Dance Schools

My daughter has been dancing at the Walsh Kelley School for 7 years. There are 2 schools in Charlotte, the Walsh Kelley School and Rince na h'Eireann. The schools are owned and run independantly, though the owners of both are sisters. Rince na h'Eirann is the larger of the two. Both schools have produced great dancers and are well respected throughout the southeast. Our annual competition, or Feis, is being held on 6-7-08, Saturday, at the Blake Hotel in downtown Charlotte. R.N.E's annual competition is usually in October, the last Saturday of the month. If you have any specific questions please let me know and I will be happy to try to answer them for you. If you have a child who wither dances or is interested in dancing, check out both schools, and come to our competition in June- open to the public. This will be our 10th regional competition and we should get about 500 dancers from the SE- perhaps more as there are few competitions in the SE before Nationals in July.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:54 AM

Default Irish Dance Schools Cont'd

forgot some of your ?'s:
Walsh Kelley has about 80- 100 dancers in Charlotte, with an active location of about 60 in Greensboro. Rince na h'Eireann is much larger- guessing 200+ dancers, and has locations outside of Charlotte as well.
Can't speak for discipline outside of our school, but I know both teachers to be very quality people that are also very caring about their dancers. Very supportive, but demanding of appropriate behavior and attention- nothing extreme- what you would expect and want as a parent. I had the pleasure to meet their parents while vacationing in Ireland a few years back- their mom wasa dancer ands teacher- and their parents were wonderful. Their father has since passed away, but their mom still comes to Charlotte on occasion.
Both schools have very supportive parent groups who obvioulsy enjoy their dancers affiliation with each school, as during the course of a year both schools are active dancing all over the community. Community dancing ranges from senior homes, school events to fesivals, [obviously St Pat's week the schools are everywhere!] to dancing at halftime at the Bobcats 3 weeks ago, to dancing on stage with the Chieftains and other more formal venues.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschroeder View Post
forgot some of your ?'s:
Walsh Kelley has about 80- 100 dancers in Charlotte, with an active location of about 60 in Greensboro. Rince na h'Eireann is much larger- guessing 200+ dancers, and has locations outside of Charlotte as well.
Can't speak for discipline outside of our school, but I know both teachers to be very quality people that are also very caring about their dancers. Very supportive, but demanding of appropriate behavior and attention- nothing extreme- what you would expect and want as a parent. I had the pleasure to meet their parents while vacationing in Ireland a few years back- their mom wasa dancer ands teacher- and their parents were wonderful. Their father has since passed away, but their mom still comes to Charlotte on occasion.
Both schools have very supportive parent groups who obvioulsy enjoy their dancers affiliation with each school, as during the course of a year both schools are active dancing all over the community. Community dancing ranges from senior homes, school events to fesivals, [obviously St Pat's week the schools are everywhere!] to dancing at halftime at the Bobcats 3 weeks ago, to dancing on stage with the Chieftains and other more formal venues.

Thank you for the information. My daughter has been dancing for 6 years. We will be moving to Charlotte (south) at the end of July. Do you know when classes start for the schools? (meaning, is it open enrollment?) We will be making a trip to NC in two weeks, hoping to stop by the schools then. Do you know what the tuition cost is? At the school we are at now, if you pay for a full year, you get a discount. The teacher is very open to girls who just want to dance and doesn't push those who don't want to do competions. My daughter usually does 4 feis a year. She is also into soccer. The school we are at now also has a parent group and very friendly people. Sounds like the schools you are talking about are just as nice and very similiar. How many days a week do the girls take lessons? My daugher is a novice and dances 2 days a week and 1 day for teams or if they are getting ready for a show, they work on show numbers on the 3rd day. Are parents permitted to stay at the studio while classes are being taught? Thanks again for any help you can give in answering these quetions. Sounds like these schools will be a nice place for my daughter to continue with her Irish Dance and for me to meet some nice people since they have a parent group.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:30 AM

852 posts, read 2,334,390 times
My child dances at the Rince na H'Eireann school. To answer one of your questions regarding tuition - yes there is a discount for up front paying at RNE. I think it is quite a substantial discount but I cannot think of it offhand. We start classes in August - kind of following the Char Meck schools calendar. My dancer takes 2 solo classes per week and one team one with more coming up to Oireachtas or other major competitions. We have a waiting area at our studio although the parents are requested to stay in the waiting area and not in the dance studio. Good luck with your decision and move.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:40 AM

Default Charlotte Irish Dance Schools- additional ?'s

Walsh Kelley tuition varies depending on how many classes you take per week. The school office manager- Cathy Hean cathy@walshkelleyschool.com can answer all those ?'s - I don't have them memorized! Your daughter's current schedule sounds like the norm for most kids that are in love with dance but might also be involved in other school activities. My daughter dances an average of 3x/week depending on homework, school team sports etc. The studio is open August-June, and Aine' typically brings in 2-3 special teachers in the 2nd week of August for a special dance camp [the kids call it boot camp!] that teaches the kids the new steps for December's Oriechtas. The teachers are 2 sisters originally from [and had a school in] Galway and 1 husband of the two. The husband and wife have a school in England, and the other sister, Breda, is the "O'Brien" portion of the Healy -O'Brien school in Chicago. Breda origially came to the US about 4 years ago and taught at our school until the opportunity came up last year for her to be a part owner in the Healy school. All three are great teachers and really work the kids hard. They're tough, but the kids really respond and respect them. All three will be adjudicators at Nationals this year.
Breda continues to come to our school at least 3x/yr on her own to conduct weekend workshops, and there is a chance she may come this May. Do you know when you're coming by? Breda may come down the 17th, but it is not definate.
As far as competitions, Aine' teaches for the love of dance and kids can compete in as many or as few as they like. Obvioously the more they compete the quicker skills improve, but there is no presssure to compete. The kids are all very supportive of each other at competitions- even when they are in the same line- it is very impressive.
Parents can stay at the studio during classes, but only in the outer area- no watching! Most parents of older kids simply drop their dancer off.
Let me know if you have any other ?'s- either about dance or Charlotte, as I am a Realtor and could help you with housing ?'s as well.
Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>