Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 05:44 PM

8 posts, read 5,922 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I will potentially be starting a job at Atrium Health Northeast in Concord and I am looking for a great neighborhood to raise my 2 boys, 5yo and 1yo. I have lived in South Florida for over 30 years. We currently live in a townhouse in Davie, Fl and was looking for a single family home with a yard. To our disappointment, the prices (and property taxes) for a decent home with good schools is way out of our budget $250k-$325k. Fate would have it that a job recruiter contacted me about a position available at Atrium Northeast. After discussing with my husband, we have decided that should they offer me the job, North Carolina would be a great option to raise our boys. They are flying me out to interview (good sign, right?) July 23rd and putting me up for a night. In my spare time, I plan to learn as much as I can about near by neighborhoods, etc as I have actually never been to North Carolina . From research that I have done online, Harrisburg, Huntersville, and Highland Creek area all look beautiful. We are looking for a 4bedroom home with a decent backyard (my husband insists we get a house that backs up to the woods). We plan to make this our "forever home" where we can raise our boys. So all school grades would be a factor. We are still debating on whether to build or buy a fairly new build. We do plan to rent the 1st year so we don't feel like we have to rush into anything. We would, however, like to rent in or near the area that we plan to buy in to keep the schools consistent for the boys.

so here it is:

Where do you recommend we look to buy our home with price, schools, family friendly/oriented all a factor?
What building company do you recommend should we decide to have our home built? Is it worth it?
Is there a Relator you suggest to help us find our "forever" home?

I appreciate any and all help as we have it is just us that would be in North Carolina, no family no friends...yet

Looking forward to my visit there, and can't wait to call it home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 06:55 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,692,857 times
The areas you are looking at are excellent options for a young family. I'd especially recommend you focus on Highland Creek area of Concord and Harrisburg due to the reasonable commute to Atrium Northeast. You will have some good home options in your budget and be able to upgrade to a SFH.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:30 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,597,657 times
I am also from South Florida lived in Parkland, Davie, Weston, and Sunny Isles. Lived in Charlotte 12 years now. My wife works at Northeast for Atrium and we live in Harrisburg. The schools here are really nice, houses can be found in your price range, and the town is growing. in Harrisburg look into places that feed into Patriots or Harrisburg ELM, and then Hickory Ridge MS and HS. Plus there is a Publix!

New builds in Harrisburg aren't going to be in that price range, but homes in larger neighborhoods that are resells could fit. Harrisburg has a huge 4th of July event in it's main park with fireworks and a parade down the main street HWY 49, has movies in the park for kids with a huge outdoor screen, has rec league sports, rockin the burg which is a food truck event with live music and stuff for kids to do monthly during the summer, and all kinds of local events. I really like it here.

You can also check out the Cox Mill/Moss Creek area of Concord, as we were looking there before choosing Harrisburg. Cox Mill is currently having multiple neighborhoods built and is right near Concord Mills, Lidl, and WalMart, and that whole shopping area there. The Cox Mill schools are really good too. Cox Mill is right out of the side entrance of Highland Creek.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:10 PM

833 posts, read 520,350 times
If you're interested in a little more rural/small town living (house backed up to woods, etc), but with easy access to Concord/Northeast Atrium, look at Mt. Pleasant, NC and Locust, NC. Locust is highly rated in lots of aspects.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:46 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
I am also from South Florida lived in Parkland, Davie, Weston, and Sunny Isles. Lived in Charlotte 12 years now. My wife works at Northeast for Atrium and we live in Harrisburg. The schools here are really nice, houses can be found in your price range, and the town is growing. in Harrisburg look into places that feed into Patriots or Harrisburg ELM, and then Hickory Ridge MS and HS. Plus there is a Publix!

New builds in Harrisburg aren't going to be in that price range, but homes in larger neighborhoods that are resells could fit. Harrisburg has a huge 4th of July event in it's main park with fireworks and a parade down the main street HWY 49, has movies in the park for kids with a huge outdoor screen, has rec league sports, rockin the burg which is a food truck event with live music and stuff for kids to do monthly during the summer, and all kinds of local events. I really like it here.

You can also check out the Cox Mill/Moss Creek area of Concord, as we were looking there before choosing Harrisburg. Cox Mill is currently having multiple neighborhoods built and is right near Concord Mills, Lidl, and WalMart, and that whole shopping area there. The Cox Mill schools are really good too. Cox Mill is right out of the side entrance of Highland Creek.
The neighborhoods along Cox Mill road are out of the OP's budget. Cox Mill ES will be capped in the next couple of years because of the tremendous growth in the area and the fact that there isn't anymore room in the school. Those that purchase or rent homes once the cap goes into affect, will most likely be sent to Odell ES or Boger (whichever one has the capacity).

Old 07-11-2019, 01:22 PM

32 posts, read 50,417 times
Quote:

she hasn't mentioned the weather, but i'm also from South Florida (Miami Garden) to be more specific, but i'm looking to move out of here within the next year. I can ask for a transfer and my job, which is in Marshville, NC, the reason i mentioned the weather is because i'm looking for a place where the humidity is NOT brutal, you know the humidity down south is horrible, i don't mind the cold though (i can put sweater or jacket and I'm good) humidity and lupus don't get along.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
The neighborhoods along Cox Mill road are out of the OP's budget. Cox Mill ES will be capped in the next couple of years because of the tremendous growth in the area and the fact that there isn't anymore room in the school. Those that purchase or rent homes once the cap goes into affect, will most likely be sent to Odell ES or Boger (whichever one has the capacity).

Even the tract homes they are building further up before you hit 73? I thought they were in the low 300's to start. Harrisburg is capped and they built a new ES to cover and Patriots also takes some from Harrisburg. I think outside of Harrisburg Locust/Midland is a good option. Mt Pleasant isn't far but don't know about schools.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:44 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,957,550 times
[quote=pumbaa;55645082]Even the tract homes they are building further up before you hit 73? I thought they were in the low 300's to start. Harrisburg is capped and they built a new ES to cover and Patriots also takes some from Harrisburg. I think outside of Harrisburg Locust/Midland is a good option. Mt Pleasant isn't far but don't know about schools.[/QUOT

Those homes on Poplar tent before 73 don't attend Cox Mill ES. They would go to Odell. Maybe I misread, but the OP said that 250k to 325k was out of her budget. Or maybe her budget is 250k to 325k.

There aren't any plans to build another elementary on our side of the county at this point.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:09 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,416,035 times
I would suggest that before you get a house"next to the woods" that you know what the zoning will permit to be on the wooded property. There may be plans for a walmart or a chicken processing plant or even a hog farm to be located there. Your real estate agent will be the last one to inform you of these things and these plans are often kept secret until its too late for the near by homeowners to protest and try to stop. Be careful

Old 07-11-2019, 06:34 PM

[quote=Riley09swb;55645446]
Quote:
Even the tract homes they are building further up before you hit 73? I thought they were in the low 300's to start. Harrisburg is capped and they built a new ES to cover and Patriots also takes some from Harrisburg. I think outside of Harrisburg Locust/Midland is a good option. Mt Pleasant isn't far but don't know about schools.[/QUOT

Those homes on Poplar tent before 73 don't attend Cox Mill ES. They would go to Odell. Maybe I misread, but the OP said that 250k to 325k was out of her budget. Or maybe her budget is 250k to 325k.

There aren't any plans to build another elementary on our side of the county at this point.

I thought she meant 250 to 325 was the budget. I meant poplar tent. So turning off christenburry onto cox mill before poplar tent would those homes go to cox mill? There are like 3 or 4 new neighborhoods going up over there but I'm not sure on price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte