Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 02:00 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
A-n-y d-a-y n-o-w!.... A-n-y d-a-y! Time to go into "ani Oakley" mode if nobody shows up!
Well, I have no clue what has happened. Maybe when the cruiser came down, he got a visual on the guy and turned around to go after him. I have no clue.

The van is still there. I am not going to walk up the hill and find out what is going on. I saw two of my neighbors drive around the van (it is parked perpendicular in the street!) so I guess if they thought it was suspicious, they would have stopped and questioned it. So it must be a work van and unrelated to "free trip" guy.

Guess it's back to work for me . . . just gives me the creeps.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
ani It may be those "magazine people" coming to your area. At least, I hope it is! They also had a Ford Econoline type van and dispersed 3 or 4 in our development. I hope you were on the 2nd floor talking to him! Keep your doors locked!
Thank you, Em! Believe me, doors are always locked. At least I know my "open window policy" is working well, Hee Hee. Now I will perfect it, and take my cell phone w/ me - and snap a picture when I yell out the window. You just never know.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:07 PM

578 posts, read 2,598,769 times
I don't even open the door to solicitors anymore. Talking through the door works just fine.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:08 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
There have been problems wih 911 as well as police response-times in Philly. People got fed up & retaliated by calling the local TV stations' news departments.

The reporters will yell & scream & rant & rave about it. You will see results.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:15 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,552,153 times
So blessed to live in a gated communtiy. We never have solicitors or unexpected visitors. You must call us from the street level to see if you can gain access. If you are not expecting anyone...don't answer and they will go away.

I can't stand for anyone to just show up unexpected...not even family.

Hope the Police get there soon!

Old 04-15-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
So blessed to live in a gated communtiy. We never have solicitors or unexpected visitors. You must call us from the street level to see if you can gain access. If you are not expecting anyone...don't answer and they will go away.

I can't stand for anyone to just show up unexpected...not even family.

Hope the Police get there soon!
I honestly do not think they are coming. After my neighbor told me the cruiser had turned around and exited the neighborhood - I don't guess I will see anyone. Maybe they spotted the dude. The van is now gone.

Also - forgot to mention - this guy had NOTHING in his hands, no coat on to have pockets in it. So how was he soliticing for anything w/out any paperwork? He had on a navy blue pullover sweater.

Checked w/ the guys who live on each side of me (they work at home, too). Strangely, no one came to their houses. Hmmm. Why did they pick my house? I did contact 2 neighbors in the culdesac - and they are SAHMs - and they said the guy rang their bell but they yelled out the door to go away - they were not interested. So he left.

Gated communities are good.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:45 PM

452 posts, read 1,345,474 times
ani - You did a good job being on your feet.... What i do is, when they come to my door and knock, i ask them for their cell phone number....They usually say why? I usually say: why should I open my door to you. They pause and turn around. AHA! Iv had that happen about 3 times. I even do that with telemarketers..haha.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:54 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Actually gated communities uptown are pretty easy to get into. All you need to do is stand by the gate & look like you lost your card. Sooner or later a resident will appear & open the gate to go out & will hold it open to let you in. That's been my experience at any rate.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Actually gated communities uptown are pretty easy to get into. All you need to do is stand by the gate & look like you lost your card. Sooner or later a resident will appear & open the gate to go out & will hold it open to let you in. That's been my experience at any rate.
Well, dern, Barking . . . you have that modus operandi down really well, ROFL!!!! Why are you loitering around uptown condos!!!!????? J/K

Old 04-15-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdiovany View Post
ani - You did a good job being on your feet.... What i do is, when they come to my door and knock, i ask them for their cell phone number....They usually say why? I usually say: why should I open my door to you. They pause and turn around. AHA! Iv had that happen about 3 times. I even do that with telemarketers..haha.
That is funny! Yeah, invade my space!!!

Well, at least this was in the daytime. But you know . . . these dudes need to move on and stop hanging around our neighborhoods. They really do. It all may be innocent enuff (but this guy looked out of his 20s - more like early 30s). So you wonder about this "trip" he was trying to earn - plus - where was the paperwork????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte