Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 10:15 PM

10 posts, read 7,781 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

We’ve been enjoying our stay in (the new) Mooresville area near YMCA as a family with our little one for the last 2 years so far. My work location is in Maiden, NC area so it’s around 25 miles each way. It’s all single lane driving to work and takes around 45min to an hour if I hit the traffic or get stuck behind a slower moving vehicle...

Even though we enjoyed where we are, we decided to try a new area to explore and I was fascinated by the Ballantyne area how beautiful it’s there and every place we usually go is much closer to Ballantyne (<20min) vs 45+min from Mooresville. Except work is going to be much further now as I have to take 485 to west then 85 towards Gastonia and finally go north via 321 from there to be at work around 7-7:30am. Total drive will be around 55miles each way.

I’m about to sign the lease for a rental townhome style apartment and I would greatly appreciate your inputs if what I am about to do is a bad idea especially traffic wise and I’d be glad to hear overall thought / advices.

Thank you for all caring to reply

Last edited by FreeWoRLD83; 09-23-2019 at 10:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 11:24 PM

3,318 posts, read 5,526,401 times
No way would I make that commute.

I imagine that 55 miles will take you about 1.5 hours each way? That is 3 hours a day/15 hours a week! That is almost 2 work days a week of commuting time.

Crazy IMO.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
No way would I make that commute.

I imagine that 55 miles will take you about 1.5 hours each way? That is 3 hours a day/15 hours a week! That is almost 2 work days a week of commuting time.

Crazy IMO.
I’ve been checking on google maps and it shows 1h 1m mostly and the max I have ever seen was 1h 15m. So I was thinking going from 45m to an hour should not make a lot of difference or maybe I am making a huge mistake idk

Old 09-24-2019, 05:49 AM

5,410 posts, read 5,893,244 times
I go from the Weddington area which is a few minutes the other side of Ballantyne to the Maiden exit on 321 in about an hour and 15 minutes on a good day. If it is during the normal commute times, I would add 20 to 25 minutes to the time.
I think rather than 321 it might be better to use 485 to 16 north to Maiden.

I would not envy that daily commute, but if you enjoy windshield time and the car is fun to drive, why not?
You can always change your mind and relocate in a year or so.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:31 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,437,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeWoRLD83 View Post
Hello Everyone,

We’ve been enjoying our stay in (the new) Mooresville area near YMCA as a family with our little one for the last 2 years so far. My work location is in Maiden, NC area so it’s around 25 miles each way. It’s all single lane driving to work and takes around 45min to an hour if I hit the traffic or get stuck behind a slower moving vehicle...

Even though we enjoyed where we are, we decided to try a new area to explore and I was fascinated by the Ballantyne area how beautiful it’s there and every place we usually go is much closer to Ballantyne (<20min) vs 45+min from Mooresville. Except work is going to be much further now as I have to take 485 to west then 85 towards Gastonia and finally go north via 321 from there to be at work around 7-7:30am. Total drive will be around 55miles each way.

I’m about to sign the lease for a rental townhome style apartment and I would greatly appreciate your inputs if what I am about to do is a bad idea especially traffic wise and I’d be glad to hear overall thought / advices.

Thank you for all caring to reply
You couldn't pay me enough to do that.

I live in Kings Mountain. I go to Hickory, occasionally, to shop at ACMoore. If I do that I go off-hours. Once you get on 321 at exit 17 traffic can back up. It stays very heavy until you pass exit 12/ Dallas-Cherryville road, going northbound.

Record WSOC to watch their morning traffic reports. They give good coverage west of Charlotte.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:57 PM

332 posts, read 417,062 times
As much as I like Ballantyne and south Charlotte, I’d never even consider it.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyRocksNC View Post
As much as I like Ballantyne and south Charlotte, I’d never even consider it.
Would you mind sharing the reason why? Thanks

Old 09-25-2019, 03:14 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,437,137 times
Quote:
For one thing, are you forgetting the NCDOT will be widening I 85, from 321 to the Mecklenburg County line?

Old 09-25-2019, 04:42 PM

332 posts, read 417,062 times
Quote:
Of course. It sounds like you'll be leaving early enough in the mornings to miss a lot of the morning rush, but in general the mornings at rush hour from Ballantyne to 85 towards Gastonia can be pretty rough...and that's just the first ten miles. The real issue I would have would be the return home in the evenings...I have meetings near the airport once a month, and I usually end up leaving that area between 4pm and 6pm...it takes me almost an hour to get from the airport to Providence road where I live, which is a 22 mile drive. Add the rest of your commute home to that last 22 miles and you've got a pretty long commute on a consistent basis. I'd venture to guess a minimum of an hour and 15 minutes every evening.
I am always one to encourage someone to live where they will be happiest. We invest a lot of money into our homes or rentals and you should feel good about coming home to an area you love, even if the drive is not all that fun. But it sounds to me like that will be a seriously taxing commute in MY personal opinion. But that's a very subjective opinion.

Old 09-25-2019, 05:24 PM

3,318 posts, read 5,526,401 times
If you were single and enjoyed books on tape or something I might could understand BUT you have a spouse and a young child? When will you have time to see them? Not to mention the wear and tear on your car, cost of gas and maintenance, the dinners missed, etc.

I would have rather lived in an tiny apartment near my work when my kids were young than take that time away from them. I guarantee your child would vote to have you there rather than to live in Ballantyne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte