Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 03:33 PM

32 posts, read 42,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Plan to come in July. It will be suitably hot in July.
Most of my family is from florida so I know the humidity..hooooot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 02:27 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeverett95 View Post
I've got some questions for you all transplants.

1) how long did you start planning to move to Charlotte?

2) what were your reasons for the move?

3) how was adjusting to the new city?

4) anything you did it realize until you actually moved down there?

5) how was the move overall?

Currently planning on moving there in a year and a half!! Just curious, wanted to hear what other transplants thought!
Just one thought about your questions. I think this is a good topic, but when talking about "transplants", it's overlooking a key component of that phenomena- transplants moving from elsewhere in North Carolina or an adjoining state. I think maybe you meant Northeastern US transplants, based on question #4 referring to "down here".

A "transplant" who moves from Thomasville, NC or Society Hill, SC may also experience a significant degree of culture shock, coming to Charlotte, just as someone from Queens, NY would, although it's a different kind of culture shock. OP, if you're not familiar with these places and others like them, they are small, traditionally Southern blue-collar towns or rural areas that are close to the antithesis of Charlotte, at least within the Carolinas, yet just an hour or two drive away from Charlotte. If you haven't ventured far out of Charlotte, it would be immediately apparent what I'm talking about if you ever want to take a road trip to these or a number of other places that are in pretty deep contrast with Charlotte, just as the urban-rural dynamic in many states would be. This doesn't include the people in Charlotte who were born out of the US, which is an entirely different transplant experience as well.

OP, I'm not being critical of your questions as I think they're good, but there is a part of the Charlotte transplant issue (and other areas of NC that have lots of people moving from elsewhere) that's not often considered since it tends to be dominated by NY, NJ, CT, PA, etc. perspectives.

Old 01-29-2020, 02:57 PM

184 posts, read 244,728 times
Wink I have experience w/ ques. #5

Hi, I needed to get an affordable company to move my household from Tampa to Charlotte. I had done a "freight" move before and did it again.
YOU pack & load your own goods, the company puts a tractor TRAILER where you want at your home and you have two days to pack it/ My friends helped.

Then they come out, put up a security/wooden "wall" up against your stuff and then they have room to put more moves on truck (saves you and them). No hazardous materials would be added. Then they transport it to location, you have a little time to tell them you are ready for it, and they park at new location. I did not have unpacking help in of Kannapolis, so I went on a site that had recommended MOVING help, I chose a small co., they supplied two laborers and they unpacked, put in new place. It went well and the site listing the moving Help info was from U Haul lists, with real time reviews.
Your cost is based on the footage you take up on the trailer. I had a small, 2 bedroom house, no appliances and it came to "14 foot" measurement. (from back of trailer toward front).

I paid approx. $1,800. for everything (there were a few additional charge included with basic move charge,but total 1800.), it would be different according to YOUR needs) and I think that was good. I saw some other prices that did pack for you, and it was way high - for me.
I highly recommend Old Dominion as the freight/move company. I have no affiliation with them. I was kept very informed before, during and after move. They complied with every promise they made !!! This is SIMILAR to how PODs moves people, but they were more money.

This may Not be what your asking, but saving money was my main worry. Old Dominion was good, and I'd be very careful no matter who/what you end up using. IMHO. I'm sure your current research is very indicative of your smart research. AND I always like to recommend THIS type of moving strategy, it might help others. HOPE it all works out for you.

Old 01-31-2020, 06:15 AM

120 posts, read 140,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Plan to come in July. It will be suitably hot in July.
Minneapolis people are generally lake people. Come swimming in July and you'll see another advantage to Charlotte. Or heck, take your boat out in March and leave it until November or even all year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte