Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 02:10 PM

87 posts, read 205,608 times

Advertisements

I've tried all the big name companies and was wondering if there are any smaller local companies that I should be checking out. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 02:42 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
No recommendations. We are getting quotes from USAA, but they are neither small nor a homegrown local company.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:47 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,918 times
Do you have AAA? They set me up a homeowners policy and car insurance and saved me over $500/year from what I was paying with State Farm!

Old 06-15-2012, 03:08 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,349 times
A few years ago USAA widened its parameters on who qualifies for membership. I'd encourage anyone who falls within the guidelines to at least secure quotes.

I've used them as my car insurance provider for at least 12 years - and no other company has ever been more competitive than them when it came to rates. The customer service is top notch too. I have never, ever had a problem.

Two weeks ago it came time to renew the homeowner's policy on my Charlotte rental property. The former policy was through Burns & Wilcox and the premium was $783 for 1-year. There have never been any claims filed. The replacement value of the home is only $128K.

I switched over to USAA, identical coverage, line for line, and the premium was $345. I was astonished by the stark difference, thrilled I took the time to acquire a quote and now I can't be happier - especially since I pretty much have everything in one place now.

Good luck with your search!

Old 06-15-2012, 03:30 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,164,128 times
Costco members get probably one of most competitive prices through Ameriprise Insurance, a bit better than my old Insurance Broker can find (probably best option if not a Costco member).
https://www.ameriprise.com/auto-home...rtnerID=COSTCO
Combining home & auto helps.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:59 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
Geico.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:04 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,361,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
A few years ago USAA widened its parameters on who qualifies for membership. I'd encourage anyone who falls within the guidelines to at least secure quotes.

I've used them as my car insurance provider for at least 12 years - and no other company has ever been more competitive than them when it came to rates. The customer service is top notch too. I have never, ever had a problem.

Two weeks ago it came time to renew the homeowner's policy on my Charlotte rental property. The former policy was through Burns & Wilcox and the premium was $783 for 1-year. There have never been any claims filed. The replacement value of the home is only $128K.

I switched over to USAA, identical coverage, line for line, and the premium was $345. I was astonished by the stark difference, thrilled I took the time to acquire a quote and now I can't be happier - especially since I pretty much have everything in one place now.

Good luck with your search!

I have always had and love USAA since joining in 1997.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:24 PM

972 posts, read 2,444,004 times
Another vote for USAA. Honestly, we've not done much price comparison for several years with them because the service is so outstanding, we'd even be willing to pay more. I worked in insurance litigation years ago and inside the industry, their reputation is also strong in all areas.

On another note, when we unfortunately have had to call them because of a parent's death, they are over the top helpful will everything. Both our fathers were retired military and long time USAA members. They have a whole department just to help you navigate everything, including non-USAA matters.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:52 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Do you have AAA? They set me up a homeowners policy and car insurance and saved me over $500/year from what I was paying with State Farm!
I will check out AAA. Just renewed my State Farm policy and they changed my deductible from $500 to $1000. I consider that a de facto rate increase.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:34 AM

162 posts, read 228,715 times
USAA has the most competitive rates and coverage. For those of us who can not get USAA I think state farm is a great option IF and only IF you have agent that is willing to work for you. I have had great experience with State Farm and it is more affordable and has better coverage then any other agency I have checked out (especially if you bundle all of your policies). Every year I check 3-6 other insurance companies and no one can beat state farms rate and coverage!

Sometimes it is worth paying a little bit for better coverage. A lot of the smaller companies are not as good as the larger companies when you have to file a claim. When my family has to file a claim our agent is 100% supportive and walks us through the steps. If anyone would like a referral feel free to DM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: