Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 09:26 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,692,857 times

Advertisements

^ Life in front of the TV alone isn't fun, especially when you aren't yet in the retirement home stuck watching local news. It brings on a lot of negativity in one's life. Most people are out and about enjoying life with friends and family. Many times when people relocate the most difficult thing is making meaningful connections with others in their new city. Redirecting frustration towards other elements of life can help mask one of the most painful things about a move... difficulty with friendships and having people that would care. Like, "would anybody here show up to my funeral here if I died in a car accident tomorrow?" Those are often true fears moving to a new place, masked by other topics. At the end of the day, people want to feel valued.

Last edited by CLT4; 02-16-2020 at 09:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 02:50 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,959,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeverett95 View Post
Sweet bottoms is known for being fixed on crime and nothing else.

If that's all you worry about in life you will be miserable. Yes the CLT crime numbers are alarming, but for most of us its avoidable if you're smart.

Don't go walking alone at midnight in some strange area, dont get into arguments about drugs, and lock your doors at night.

For most people in Charlotte, it's not something to be worried about.

It's a great city.

The crime rate is alarming, perhaps because I live in a seemingly "safe" place in Charlotte, and in an HOA and yet I've been broken into 6 times. Along with the very nice HOA'S around me. I was just speaking with a mother from Fort Mill, the place everyone raves about, last week who told me two women rang her doorbell looking distressed. Her dogs began to bark and a man ran out from the side of the house and said "lets get out of here you hear the dogs".. they're looking to break in and rob her.. Sugar coating the ever rising crime issue is a real problem here and on any given day you too can be a victim of it.. Its hardly a miserable way to live..its a way of being aware of your surroundings at all times. Whats miserable is living in a city like this where one must be on constant guard and consider if the parade is safe to go to, should I run to the store at 8 pm when its already dark and my child has a fever or will I be jumped going there. THAT is a miserable way to live and its how a lot of people in Charlotte do live outside of these ultra rich areas you guys want to constantly recommend. Not everyone has $700,000 to spend on a bungalow in Myers Park and so for those who are looking at the "cheap" housing in Charlotte of $200,000 I will be the one to be realistic with them and let them know you're gonna hear gun shots, you're gonna have your car broken into etc.. Thats the way it is here. You guys can **** on me all you want but I've lived up and down the East coast from Miami, to Boston, to Naples, Key West, New Hampshire, VA Beach and back.. Charlotte is the ONLY city we've ever EVER been broken into, heard gunshots on the monthly, seen drive by shootings, etc in all different parts of the city. Hell my mother grew up in the Bronx and refuses to move here to be nearer to her grandkids. She watches the news, she knows whats up and you people do these people a disservice not warning them. Violent crime is up 90% as of 2019... Alarming doesn't begin to cover that

Old 02-16-2020, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 605 times
Anyways..
South charlotte is the best that's also close.
I like Matthews and its community oriented town. Waxhaw is quieter, a little further away but very nice as well!

Huntersville is busy but has lots of family oriented events.

Wherever you end up, good luck! No place is perfect, but you can make it how you want. This area is booming with potential!

Old 02-17-2020, 10:21 AM

146 posts, read 139,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by periwinkle06 View Post
But of course there are bad school districts in NC and great ones in SC. State rankings don't apply when someone narrows down certain areas.
You’re right, for sure. The individual school is what matters. I just felt compelled to correct the hyperbole coming from the “I hate living in Charlotte, so I will make everything seem worse than it is” corner. Also, I grew up hearing how NC was almost last in k-12 education, so finding that we’re actually just mediocre instead of awful was a pleasant surprise.

Old 02-19-2020, 04:20 AM

120 posts, read 139,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegofoxgo View Post
You’re right, for sure. The individual school is what matters. I just felt compelled to correct the hyperbole coming from the “I hate living in Charlotte, so I will make everything seem worse than it is” corner. Also, I grew up hearing how NC was almost last in k-12 education, so finding that we’re actually just mediocre instead of awful was a pleasant surprise.
My four kids have done very well in college and in their careers. One went to a top-20 university. I've been currently substituting in the Clover school district (just over the border in SC) and I can tell you, it is excellent and way ahead of what my kids were learning at the same grade levels. The kids are respectful and kind, too. My neighbors' kids graduated from Clover High School and went on to great colleges and jobs. I am duly impressed.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:35 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,160,384 times
In Union County (S of Charlotte) there are 2 awesome golf club neighborhoods to choose from:

- Firethorne
- Longview

Both these top neighborhoods are going to the highest ranking Marvin High School, check them out.
Good luck!

Old 03-12-2020, 06:23 AM

4 posts, read 2,932 times
Anyone familiar with lake Norman? Specifically the point golf course? They have beautiful houses and from my research good schools. The only thing would be the commute but I'm also hearing the E-ZPass lanes on 77 have helped that? Just looking for anyone who has experience or knows anything about this area?

Old 03-17-2020, 06:58 AM

193 posts, read 158,590 times
Marvin and Weddington have great schools but technically this is not within Charlotte so your going to deal with traffic from union county people trying to go to Charlotte during work hours.These areas small town feel will go away very soon if not already because everyone is moving here crowding up the schools. With that budget though you will have huge options here as the pricing of this area has increased since i moved here 2007. If you want to be in south Charlotte i agree i think your best chance is Ballentyne. Fort Mill/Lancaster SC may work too as its slowly building up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte