Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 12:34 PM

10 posts, read 13,822 times

Advertisements

First I want to welcome you to the Charlotte area. As with the aforementioned replies by others, the Lake Norman area is a very attractive and fun place to live. One area I would also allow you to consider is Birkdale Village in Huntersville. It's right on Sam Furr Rd. (NC 73) which can take you right to Lake Norman. Birkdale Village has a mix of apartments, townhouses, and single-family homes near a really nice town center that's fun to take people too. Davidson is also a good option as mentioned by others and Cornelius is nice as well.

As far as uptown Charlotte (we mostly say Uptown instead of downtown), it's a decent drive down I-77; however, I will let you know that highway can get congested at times (forward planning usually helps). The beaches are easily accessible by taking a drive on US-74 East. For the mountains, you can hop on I-85 West towards I-26 north (there's a few other routes that I can't think of off the top of my head). Charlotte is a really good middle ground for those who love both the mountains and the coast. Since you like watersports you can go to the US National Whitewater Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 10:51 AM

12 posts, read 12,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchurms96 View Post
First I want to welcome you to the Charlotte area. As with the aforementioned replies by others, the Lake Norman area is a very attractive and fun place to live. One area I would also allow you to consider is Birkdale Village in Huntersville. It's right on Sam Furr Rd. (NC 73) which can take you right to Lake Norman. Birkdale Village has a mix of apartments, townhouses, and single-family homes near a really nice town center that's fun to take people too. Davidson is also a good option as mentioned by others and Cornelius is nice as well.

As far as uptown Charlotte (we mostly say Uptown instead of downtown), it's a decent drive down I-77; however, I will let you know that highway can get congested at times (forward planning usually helps). The beaches are easily accessible by taking a drive on US-74 East. For the mountains, you can hop on I-85 West towards I-26 north (there's a few other routes that I can't think of off the top of my head). Charlotte is a really good middle ground for those who love both the mountains and the coast. Since you like watersports you can go to the US National Whitewater Center.
Thank you so much for your recommendation of Birkdale Village! I think that may be exactly what I have been looking for... It looks beautiful!! Thanks again

Old 02-18-2020, 08:03 AM

188 posts, read 207,660 times
What Chicago suburb are you from?

Old 02-18-2020, 08:56 AM

12 posts, read 12,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosges View Post
What Chicago suburb are you from?
We are from Mundelein!

Old 02-18-2020, 12:33 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,540,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeverett95 View Post
You are welcome! We also will be checking out Belmont. Seems to be a nicer quieter area. But we wanna see it for ourselves. People will complain about traffic in different spots but I wanna get my own view on it, as Minneapolis has some rough traffic. Different perspectives.

As lame as it may sound, I enjoy doing the Google maps street view and going up and down roads. It's no substitute for real life but it's kinda nice to get a general idea of what an area looks like!
There's a restaurant in downtown Belmont named Nellie's Southern Kitchen. It's owned by the Jonas family. They get very good reviews.

Old 02-19-2020, 02:01 PM

82 posts, read 187,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeverett95 View Post
As lame as it may sound, I enjoy doing the Google maps street view and going up and down roads. It's no substitute for real life but it's kinda nice to get a general idea of what an area looks like!
It's not lame. Especially if you're doing initial research from far away. We found the neighborhood we eventually built our house in by "traveling" around the area in Google street view. It helped in narrowing down prospects for a subsequent physical visit.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:04 AM

193 posts, read 157,403 times
If you like Huntersville you might as well add Concord to that. Both will have traffic of course because of people going in and out of Charlotte. Im curious what did you not like about Chicago? Is it cost of living? Chicago to NC feels like a downgrade to me but i gues its based on preference and what your looking for.

Old 02-24-2020, 11:58 AM

2,486 posts, read 1,400,982 times
One of the best ways to find a place you may want to live is to actually visit the area. Go there around 11pm on any friday night and take a little walk for about 2 blocks in each direction. You will quickly learn if this is the community for you... also you may want to wear running shoes . lol

Old 02-25-2020, 04:47 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,938,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyh1120 View Post
Thank you so much for your recommendation of Birkdale Village! I think that may be exactly what I have been looking for... It looks beautiful!! Thanks again
May wanna check out the cancer cluster in that town before you settle on that area

Old 02-25-2020, 05:32 PM

3,862 posts, read 4,253,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstriker View Post
If you like Huntersville you might as well add Concord to that. Both will have traffic of course because of people going in and out of Charlotte. Im curious what did you not like about Chicago? Is it cost of living? Chicago to NC feels like a downgrade to me but i gues its based on preference and what your looking for.
I guess you're in this person's brain about what and where they might prefer to live for any number of reasons. Just stop already with City A is better than City B because you think so or what might be an up or downgrade....you have no clue. It's as if though some people want to live for other people and just can't come to terms with folks being content or happy...I mean damn.

Huntersville is nice and most of that area, can't go wrong. Traffic can be heavy but so in traffic in most places of Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte