Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 12:11 PM

4 posts, read 7,667 times

Advertisements

Yes another moving to Charlotte post. Lol. Anyway, webwill be relocating for work after the school year from south jersey. We originally focused our search on waxhaw or wesley chapel for the schools. We have an 8 year old and soon to be 6 year old. I'm curious what the thoughts are about indian trail. The schools rate slightly lower but still rate fairly high. And it also seems slightly less expensive. My wife loves the little main street in waxhaw, I couldnt find any info as far as indian trail having any sort of downtown. Indian trail would be closer to work and other amenities. Looking for 4 beds close to 3000sq ft pool community and would like to max out at 400k. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2020, 01:11 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,702,725 times
There isn't really a "downtown" to Indian Trail like there is in Waxhaw. Indian Trail Hardware at 205 N Indian Trail Rd, Indian Trail, NC 28079 is geographically in the original "heart" of the community. If you take a look around on Google Maps, you'll see it isn't really like Waxhaw's though. It is a nice safe area, but has grown into a commuter community of suburban tract homes mixed around farms and industrial parks. There are a few big strip malls with Walmart, Harris Teeter, et. The movie theater isn't far away either. You may find yourself shopping along the Highway 74 corridor more than you like (miserable and rather ugly route).

Downtown Matthews is the closest charming "downtown" area with rows of shops and cafes to Indian Trail. Parts of Indian Trail are pretty close to downtown Matthews.

Old 02-09-2020, 02:23 PM

335 posts, read 429,050 times
I’d have to agree with CLT4 on this one. Indian Trail seems more like an “area” that seemed to become popular for new homes to be built simply because the location is convenient to Matthews and Waxhaw and there was just some available real estate there. No real destinations, not a lot in the way of shopping or good dining...but yes it is more affordable and is still a great place to raise a family. But if your wife likes the character of downtown Waxhaw I think you’ll be disappointed in Indian Trail. I agree that Matthews sounds like a really good option if you don’t think Waxhaw has won you over yet. Weddington is also a nice burb close to shopping and the highway, but doesn’t really have a downtown either.

Old 02-09-2020, 04:46 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,055,843 times
Your price range with some of the highest rated schools in Union County is available just off Chestnut lane in the 28104 zip code. The first two housing developments along Chestnut lane on the left (Strawberry Lane). 350K to 450k, close to swim clubs, tennis, Matthews and Charlotte. Within Minutes of the new Waverly Shopping center on HWY 16 at the county line. If you begin looking, check Zipcodes, the 28104's are Union County, the 28105's are Mecklenburg County.

FYI: I just checked in those neighborhoods, nothing for sale right now, but plenty of recent sales.
This is an example:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...61794590_zpid/

You can also enter a potential address in this site and find out which schools are assigned to the address:
https://web01.edulogweb.com/Union/webquery/

Old 02-10-2020, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the input. One more question. I noticed a couple of neighborhoods in waxhaw feed into the parkwood orbit- waxhaw es and parkwood middle and high. Millbridge looks like its split. Is there a noticeable difference between those schools and the cuthbertson orbit? Doing this from afar I dont want to get hung up on the ratings sites if I can get a local viewpoint. We are heading down this weekend to try to pin down a few neighborhoods and meet with a realtor. But I dont really know of a way to get a legit feel for the difference in schools. Thanks again.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:52 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyb35 View Post
Thanks for the input. One more question. I noticed a couple of neighborhoods in waxhaw feed into the parkwood orbit- waxhaw es and parkwood middle and high. Millbridge looks like its split. Is there a noticeable difference between those schools and the cuthbertson orbit? Doing this from afar I dont want to get hung up on the ratings sites if I can get a local viewpoint. We are heading down this weekend to try to pin down a few neighborhoods and meet with a realtor. But I dont really know of a way to get a legit feel for the difference in schools. Thanks again.
Are you currently in a district that has all of it's own schools or does your municipality feed to a regional high school? School districts in NC are mostly by county. This can result in redistricting, when or if a school gets overcrowded. There can also be some circumstances that you just won't run into in South Jersey.

Old 02-10-2020, 12:18 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,702,725 times
Quote:
One of the main reasons people want to live that far out from the amenities and restaurants of "closer in" locations is the sacrifice for good schools. People in Union County are VERY big on the Cuthbertson / Weddington / Marvin Ridge High School clusters and are willing to make very long commutes from their jobs in Mecklenburg County to their home in those clusters for the school ranking. That enthusiasm for a 1 hour+ commute each direction diminishes if the school isn't really any higher ranking than schools closer in to jobs and amenities.

Here's how the conversation plays out at work: "Yeah, I have a 1.5 hour commute home, but my kids attend Cuthbertson High, which is the highest ranking high school in the entire metro area so it is worth the sacrifice for my family."

Last edited by CLT4; 02-10-2020 at 01:48 PM..

Old 02-10-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Are you currently in a district that has all of it's own schools or does your municipality feed to a regional high school? School districts in NC are mostly by county. This can result in redistricting, when or if a school gets overcrowded. There can also be some circumstances that you just won't run into in South Jersey.
Our district feeds into a regional hs. I understand the redistricting, this just took place in town a few years ago where an elementary school was closed due to low enrollment district wide. And neighborhoods were shuffled around. So I guess with the possibility of redistricting later on, is there a noticeable difference between kensington elementary and waxhaw elementary? Since this will affect us immediately. Both my kids are still elementary age.

Old 02-10-2020, 01:06 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Our district feeds into a regional hs. I understand the redistricting, this just took place in town a few years ago where an elementary school was closed due to low enrollment district wide. And neighborhoods were shuffled around. So I guess with the possibility of redistricting later on, is there a noticeable difference between kensington elementary and waxhaw elementary? Since this will affect us immediately. Both my kids are still elementary age.
I don't live in Union County. I live in another part of the area. I moved down from Cherry Hill. There are distinct differences with the schools which can vary by the municipality.

Check the school websites. There is a super long thread on redistricting in Union County. It will take a couple of days, at least, to read it and it is a few years old. I'd still read it though.

For what it's worth, you might want to also read the grocery thread, although there isn't much concerning Union County specifically, it will give you an idea of the chains available in the area. Before I moved, I checked grocery store websites. As it turned out, I don't patronize any of the chains that I checked out ahead of moving. For me, the only constant was Aldi, which is the only chain here that carries Amoroso rolls, to my knowledge.

Good luck in your search. I'm sure that you'll get some good advice

Old 02-10-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I don't live in Union County. I live in another part of the area. I moved down from Cherry Hill. There are distinct differences with the schools which can vary by the municipality.

Check the school websites. There is a super long thread on redistricting in Union County. It will take a couple of days, at least, to read it and it is a few years old. I'd still read it though.

For what it's worth, you might want to also read the grocery thread, although there isn't much concerning Union County specifically, it will give you an idea of the chains available in the area. Before I moved, I checked grocery store websites. As it turned out, I don't patronize any of the chains that I checked out ahead of moving. For me, the only constant was Aldi, which is the only chain here that carries Amoroso rolls, to my knowledge.

Good luck in your search. I'm sure that you'll get some good advice
Thanks. I started going through that redistricting thread a few days ago. We are actually coming from evesham. I never thought of checking out the crocery stores ahead of time. I always figured groceries are groceries. Lol. But I'll definitely check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte