Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 06:03 PM

116 posts, read 212,558 times

Advertisements

Will be attending UNCC Uptown but will also need to go to the main campus at times. I've been looking for an apartment with the max of around $1250. Would I be better off in Huntersville or the Myers Park area? Any other suggestions? Looking for a not too horrid commute but also a safe area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 07:33 PM

807 posts, read 689,828 times
Both are pretty safe areas, but Huntersville will probably have more in your budget than Myers Park. Myers Park will be much closer to uptown though. My recommendation would be to find somewhere along the light rail line, which runs directly past UNCC Center City and terminates at UNCC Main Campus, so that you do not always have to drive.

Old 04-25-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
Both are pretty safe areas, but Huntersville will probably have more in your budget than Myers Park. Myers Park will be much closer to uptown though. My recommendation would be to find somewhere along the light rail line, which runs directly past UNCC Center City and terminates at UNCC Main Campus, so that you do not always have to drive.
Just a little concerned about riding the light rail. Comments I've read said the rail itself was safe, but there might be a problem in the parking lot - should it be after dark. Never been there, so I don't know for sure.

Old 04-25-2020, 08:44 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,183 times
You should be able to find a small apartment in your price range near the Uptown campus. That makes much more sense than commuting from Huntersville every day.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:17 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,577 times
Get an apartment in NoDa or the Optimist Park area along the rail line. They've recently built and are still building some pretty nice apartments out there. Those areas are pretty safe and offer better amenities than Myers Park would for a college student. Huntersville is way out of the way so I wouldn't consider it at all.

I'd suggest you visit if possible, or maybe check out some recent Youtube videos on the NoDa area. Crime can happen anywhere but I wouldn't consider it unsafe.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:00 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettJ View Post
Will be attending UNCC Uptown but will also need to go to the main campus at times. I've been looking for an apartment with the max of around $1250. Would I be better off in Huntersville or the Myers Park area? Any other suggestions? Looking for a not too horrid commute but also a safe area.

Do you particularly care about being near other students?

If yes, I'll have to suggest NoDa as another poster did or SouthEnd. There are more likely to be students in these areas a few blocks down. A little fun.

Also, I lived in Huntersville while attending UNCC. I loved the area. Myer's Park is a little too "old" feeling and can feel a little sterile and lifeless. It's a place I would want to be later in life. (I'm not a party person but it's so family oriented).

Huntersville is a cheerful place I thought. It's family too but the recreational younger family type. Lake life was nice. I recommend the places near Birkdale Village. But most of your peers will be living in NoDa/SouthEnd (generally the students that have more financial resources) and those generally on student loans or financial assistance are in University City. I sort of felt a little isolated out in Huntersville from other students. Felt like most UNCC students that lived in Lake Norman were people living with their parents.

Old 04-28-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Do you particularly care about being near other students?

If yes, I'll have to suggest NoDa as another poster did or SouthEnd. There are more likely to be students in these areas a few blocks down. A little fun.

Also, I lived in Huntersville while attending UNCC. I loved the area. Myer's Park is a little too "old" feeling and can feel a little sterile and lifeless. It's a place I would want to be later in life. (I'm not a party person but it's so family oriented).

Huntersville is a cheerful place I thought. It's family too but the recreational younger family type. Lake life was nice. I recommend the places near Birkdale Village. But most of your peers will be living in NoDa/SouthEnd (generally the students that have more financial resources) and those generally on student loans or financial assistance are in University City. I sort of felt a little isolated out in Huntersville from other students. Felt like most UNCC students that lived in Lake Norman were people living with their parents.
Don't really care about being near other students. Don't go to bars or out very much. Wanted to be near shopping (not necessarily a mall). I was mainly concerned about the commute from Huntersville.

Old 04-28-2020, 05:25 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettJ View Post
Don't really care about being near other students. Don't go to bars or out very much. Wanted to be near shopping (not necessarily a mall). I was mainly concerned about the commute from Huntersville.
Commute from Huntersville is quick and easy taking 77 to 485.

At worst, they’ll be slight congestion between Sam Furr and Gilead, but honestly. It should be smooth sailing. It’s one of the better commuters you could have within Meck Co. IMO.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:34 AM

145 posts, read 156,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Get an apartment in NoDa or the Optimist Park area along the rail line. They've recently built and are still building some pretty nice apartments out there. Those areas are pretty safe and offer better amenities than Myers Park would for a college student. Huntersville is way out of the way so I wouldn't consider it at all.

I'd suggest you visit if possible, or maybe check out some recent Youtube videos on the NoDa area. Crime can happen anywhere but I wouldn't consider it unsafe.
If you want a safe area I would stay far away from Noda. Just drive one mile in all directions to understand why.

Old 05-29-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshnc View Post
If you want a safe area I would stay far away from Noda. Just drive one mile in all directions to understand why.
So, do you think Southpark or Plaza Midtown would be okay? Or should I stay closer to Huntersville? From what I read, I don't want to be near the University.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: