U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 08:38 AM

5 posts, read 14,063 times

Advertisements

I've been doing some research. Is the town as small as it seems to be? Right now I live in a medium size coastal town. Besides a mall, we have plenty of upper class shopping areas, parks, nice bars/restaurants, culture in the form of cinema and theater, and, DON'T LAUGH, A BARNES AND NOBLE.

I've always said I would never go back to small town life. Its's about 40 minutes away from Charlotte which has everything, so that's good, but the town where I am from is about 3o minutes away from anything too, so iit seems like a step back.

I ask due to this guy I met. His company has a new facility opening in Monroe. Is there a town that more in between Charlotte and Monroe that's not a far drive to either? If I moved I would definately want to work in Charlotte as I feel it would hold greater oppportunity for me, but I am also gas price conscious.

At the very least I would like to live somewhere with some of the features above. Right now I'm a member of Golds Gym, and there doesn't even seem to be a decent variation in Monroe there of. I also worry about the job market. Their biggest employer is TYSON?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 09:13 AM

529 posts, read 1,818,899 times
I live in Monroe and it only takes me 15 minutes to get to Charlotte/Matthews city limit sign off 74. Monroe is in a great area and it is only growing (much like everywhere else). The towns between Monroe and Charlotte are Indian Trail, Stallings and Matthews. You can cross through all three in less than 10 minutes because they are not large areas as you drive down 74.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cball75 View Post
I live in Monroe and it only takes me 15 minutes to get to Charlotte/Matthews city limit sign off 74. Monroe is in a great area and it is only growing (much like everywhere else). The towns between Monroe and Charlotte are Indian Trail, Stallings and Matthews. You can cross through all three in less than 10 minutes because they are not large areas as you drive down 74.
That makes me feel soo much better. Thanks.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:19 PM

3,349 posts, read 4,351,305 times
Monroe is more like 20-25 minutes to center city Charlotte. That being said, it depends upon what you want. Monroe is not as affluent as western Union or Mecklenburg Country. Therefore, it doesnt have some of the upscale retailers and restaurants you would find in high income cities. Still, it has most of the national retailers you will find in a mid size American town. It's just not a high end market yet.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:27 PM

45,269 posts, read 89,917,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Monroe is more like 20-25 minutes to center city Charlotte. That being said, it depends upon what you want. Monroe is not as affluent as western Union or Mecklenburg Country. Therefore, it doesnt have some of the upscale retailers and restaurants you would find in high income cities. Still, it has most of the national retailers you will find in a mid size American town. It's just not a high end market yet.
Sorry to disagree, but that is just not true. Monroe is almost 30 miles, thru constant traffic on Hwy 74, from uptown Charlotte. No way anyone is making that in "20-25 minutes", ESPECIALLY in rush hour.

I live in the southern end of Charlotte and go to the heart of Monroe frequently. From my house it takes me almost 30 minutes, depending on time of day. (I made it in just under 20 minutes one time at 11 o'clock at night!)

Monroe is a nice place, but more middle class. No upscale shopping there, but you can get that in south Charlotte.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 04-26-2008 at 12:41 PM..

Old 04-26-2008, 12:45 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,136,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sorry to disagree, but that is just not true. Monroe is almost 30 miles, thru constant traffic on Hwy 74, from uptown Charlotte. No way anyone is making that in "20-25 minutes", ESPECIALLY in rush hour.

I live in the southern end of Charlotte and go to the heart of Monroe frequently. From my house it takes me almost 30 minutes, depending on time of day. (I made it in just under 20 minutes one time at 11 o'clock at night!)

Monroe is a nice place, but more middle class. No upscale shopping there, but you can get that in south Charlotte.

Loves is correct, it is not 20 - 25 minutes. Monroe is a nice community, but it sounds like you'll be more happy in Matthews or somewhere else looking at the "cinema and theater" and Golds Gym etc...They did open a new shopping center on the outskirts, more towards Indian Trail with a Best Buy, Five Guys etc... As a former employee of Tyson, it is a pretty large facility with many employees.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:30 PM

529 posts, read 1,818,899 times
Monroe has a very large workout facility at the aquatics center. Living in Monroe for 32 years, it will take at least 40 minutes to get to downtown Charlotte. I thought the biggest employer was the school system, but I could be wrong on that. Goodrich has a large facility and also Charlotte Pipe.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:31 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,909,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cball75 View Post
Monroe has a very large workout facility at the aquatics center. Living in Monroe for 32 years, it will take at least 40 minutes to get to downtown Charlotte. I thought the biggest employer was the school system, but I could be wrong on that. Goodrich has a large facility and also Charlotte Pipe.

Yes, the Monroe Aquatics and Fitness Center comes highly recommended:
Monroe Aquatics and Fitness Center

Check out some of these links from the City of Monroe website:
City of Monroe Useful Links (http://www.monroenc.org/link_0.htm - broken link)

Here is also a link to the Union County Chamber of Commerce's Newcomer Guide:
Union Co. Newcomer's Guide (http://www.unioncountycoc.com/newcomer_sguide.html - broken link)

Last edited by marvinnative; 04-26-2008 at 04:40 PM..

Old 04-26-2008, 06:20 PM

33 posts, read 95,014 times
I live "in the country" in Monroe. It takes me at least 30 minutes to get to 485. If there is absolutely no traffic and I catch all the lights I can make it in 20 minutes. Monroe is pretty big and there is a possibility you can make it to uptown in 20 minutes, but not from the far reaches of the township. The Poplin Place shopping center is in Monroe. A new hospital facility is opening across the street. The area is growing by leaps and bounds but outside the city limits, it's just wonderful. The center of Monroe has fabulous old houses - not much land but truly beautiful pieces of early 19th century architecture. No, we don't have all the glitz, glamor and fluff that some medium size municipalities enjoy but the Monroe Aquatics center will rival any big city gym and has all the equipment you could imagine plus a pool, handball/squash courts, running track, etc. Big companies? Turbomeca is ramped up (makes helicopter parts), Charlotte Pipe, Goodrich and a dozen others on Airport Road. Sounds like you need to be in Matthews which is 20 minutes from uptown (again depending on traffice and the time you have to leave) with all the "fancy" restaurants and bars. There's always South Park for shopping.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:15 PM

I hope no one took offense at my original post. I didn't mean it that way. Coming from a similar size town and get used to "niceties," it's very hard to think of switching back.

Thanks for all your comments..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte