Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2020, 06:21 AM

91 posts, read 136,244 times

Advertisements

I lived briefly in Hendersonville about 25 years ago and had to move due to the economy. I would love to move back near the area of Charlotte to work, and somewhere within an hour to live. I currently work in insurance (home and auto) and wondering how the job market is/has been? I live in VA and just quoted someone moving from Arden, and she made the comment that if I move to North Carolina, I better "bring my job with me" She is a teacher and has not had any luck - but I feel I am in a completely different industry. I would either be looking for insurance sales, claims, or underwriter position and living within an hour of the mountains is really important to me as I love to hike - I would like to be within 2 hours driving distance of hiking (like Pisgah National Forest). i want to mention I am also looking in the Asheville area and reposting this in that forum too. Can anyone give me advice - it is so hard trying to move from a different state. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 06:36 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,702,725 times
One can't really push COVID aside when analyzing the job market. Other than the great recession, the labor market has probably not been so disturbed nationwide in the last 20 years and COVID is helping define the labor market. While the Charlotte area economy was booming prior to the coronavirus crisis, it has contracted somewhat (like most of the country). Many firms have reduced job postings temporarily. Whether those firms enter an expansion mode in a couple months and add the job postings back will just be a guess. Bank of America for example went from over 600 jobs postings in Charlotte pre-virus to 95 job postings today, an 84% decrease. Many other firms have reduced their job postings significantly as well.

The Charlotte area has plenty of companies in insurance / underwriting though. Allstate in particular was on a large hiring spree prior to the crisis.

Old 05-21-2020, 04:19 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Lebeck View Post
I lived briefly in Hendersonville about 25 years ago and had to move due to the economy. I would love to move back near the area of Charlotte to work, and somewhere within an hour to live. I currently work in insurance (home and auto) and wondering how the job market is/has been? I live in VA and just quoted someone moving from Arden, and she made the comment that if I move to North Carolina, I better "bring my job with me" She is a teacher and has not had any luck - but I feel I am in a completely different industry. I would either be looking for insurance sales, claims, or underwriter position and living within an hour of the mountains is really important to me as I love to hike - I would like to be within 2 hours driving distance of hiking (like Pisgah National Forest). i want to mention I am also looking in the Asheville area and reposting this in that forum too. Can anyone give me advice - it is so hard trying to move from a different state. Thanks!
You might want to look at the area around Gastonia, including Kings Mountain and also Hickory.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:49 AM

129 posts, read 91,220 times
Helping a friend who is moving next month. TA looking for jobs at CMS or Cabarrus schools. A teacher friend on FB mentioned that Wake County has frozen hiring in their district, despite jobs still being posted online CMS slowly interviewing but cannot commit to new hires, as school budgets are not yet finalized.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:14 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,494,901 times
The job market is going to be shaky everywhere until this pandemic is under control with a vaccine. As long as the unemployment rate is high, revenues will be down, whether it's a business or government. Many businesses have taken it on the chin. Government has been partially spared so far, but once the tax receipts decline, there will be layoffs or furloughs.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:09 AM

91 posts, read 136,244 times
Thanks everyone! I have alot of looking and researching to do until the pandemic slows down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte