Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 08:47 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,958,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosges View Post
I think Plan B is where the 2 day a week option comes into play.

Does anyone know how it is decided what plan is appropriate? I can’t find this anywhere. Is it quantity of cases? Days of increased cases? ICU beds? What data is driving this decision?
They will be using the same metrics they use when they determine if we can go into the next phase. Have you seen a press conference? Mandy Cohen uses the same metrics each time and those are it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 09:07 AM

188 posts, read 209,454 times
Thanks Riley:

I haven’t seen a press conference. Can I see that online? What do I search?

Old 06-26-2020, 09:15 AM

Never mind, looks like I found it.

14 day trajectory of lab cases, positive tests, & hospitalizations. (All of which are currently trending upward. Hence, the face mask order and phase pause.)

So, hypothetically speaking, if we were starting classes on Monday. What option are we in Option B or Option C? I’m having trouble differentiating between these two scenarios and which one they are going to implement.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Never mind, looks like I found it.

14 day trajectory of lab cases, positive tests, & hospitalizations. (All of which are currently trending upward/ with more positive test results. Hence, the face mask order and phase pause.)

So, hypothetically speaking, if we were starting classes on Monday. What option are we in Option B or Option C? I’m having trouble differentiating between these two scenarios and which one they are going to implement.

Option C, which is 100% online. Option B is 50% in-person and online. I'll take option B over option C any day.

I'm guessing you have kids in CMS, but this news article just came out for CCS. https://independenttribune.com/news/..._medium=social.

I'm guessing that there will be a couple of changes to whatever plan comes out on July 1st. We could be in a much different place on August 1 ( and I really hope we are).

Old 06-26-2020, 09:33 AM

Just to clarify, I’m not confused by definition of option B vs Option C. I don’t understand how they decide to implement one or the other. Is this spelled out anywhere?

Old 06-26-2020, 09:35 AM

I'm guessing that there will be a couple of changes to whatever plan comes out on July 1st. We could be in a much different place on August 1 ( and I really hope we are).[/quote]

Do you think we will be better or worse off on 8/1?

Old 06-26-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Just to clarify, I’m not confused by definition of option B vs Option C. I don’t understand how they decide to implement one or the other. Is this spelled out anywhere?
I think if the numbers are trending in the right direction we will do Plan B in August. I don't see us doing Plan A at all this school year.

I think the numbers need to be looked at by county when making a determination about school. Our county has 983 cases with 723 people recovered (data from Cabarrus Health Alliance). If those numbers are correct, I'd go with Plan B.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:26 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,892,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollypocket53132 View Post
As well as teachers with elderly/at risk family members
I think a concern for elderly/at risk family members is more of a concern than a risk to "elderly" teachers. I know some teachers who have taught 40 or more years (rare), but most retire upon completing 30 years of service which for most teachers makes them retired by age 52. There are some exceptions. Example: Teachers who began teaching later in life who typically retire in their 60s.

From what I've read, the majority of deaths are people who are over 60; however, there are younger people dying--babies, teenagers, those in the age 20 to 50+ age range. There are trends and exceptions. Some in the age 60 to 100 age range recover. Many people, a majority of those infected, have recovered from it. The latest news reports an increase in cases in the age 20 to 35 range. There is a fb group for people who have had the virus for an extended time (such as 60 or more days) and can't seem to get rid of it. I'm opting not to post links to news stories, but feel free to google, there are many virus stories online.

I think people are scared because there are no guarantees of who will survive and return to normal health, so much uncertainty. People want answers, we want the prepandemic life back yet there are so many unknowns. The transmission by asymptomatic infected people is one of the scariest features of this disease. I read an article recently about potential long-term health problems in those who have recovered. It seems new information is learned on almost a daily basis as well as changing advice from the "experts." Some would like to believe we can live life as we did prepandemic with no consequences, but things have changed. If anyone is afraid of infecting an elderly or at risk family member, they may need to make drastic, even inconvenient lifestyle changes.

We want answers about the 20-21 school year. Those in leadership roles make decisions based on information available at the time. As new information becomes available, decisions and the path forward may be adjusted, adapted. Flexibility isn't always easy, but essential when faced with a volatile situation. My guess for the 20-21 school year is schools will not be open in the traditional prepandemic 5 day per week schedule. For those with special needs, there are face masks available where a clear material stitched or glued into the mask over the mouth area allows the mouth to be visible.

...about going to a pool... just because a pool is open doesn't mean it's 100% safe to go there.... same could be said about beaches.... schools...malls... airplanes... there were risks and dangers before the pandemic, increased risk now.... what level of risk are we willing to accept and be a part of or participate in... the response varies by individual and how does each individual response affect others

Many have said life will not be even close to prepandemic normal until/unless there is a vaccine.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 06-28-2020 at 06:59 AM..

Old 06-28-2020, 08:57 AM

2,486 posts, read 1,417,250 times
Quote:
What are your thoughts on schools reopening this Fall?

The CDC guidelines have been released and they include:
-6 ft separation in classroom and cafeteria
-students/teachers wearing masks
-buses 1 child every other seat

How are schools that are already using trailers for overcrowding going to accommodate a 6 ft distance?

Buses-how does that work? Does that mean capacity 66 goes down to capacity 12? Not sure of the math but close.

I’m curious to hear what others are thinking. Links below-read for yourself.

Summary from yahoo: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/cdc-...103946972.html

CDC guidelines start on page 40

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...se.pdf#page=45
How can ALL of the children be forced to wear mask especially while riding a school bus???????. Where are they going to get these mask?????? ps a rag tied around your face can be called a mask BUT it does not do what a mask DESIGNED to filter out the virus does. I want my child to have a medical approved mask if they plan to force him to wear one....??????????????????

Old 07-03-2020, 09:35 AM

It looks like Plan B, which will be one week in person and then 2 weeks of remote learning. That's only if Cooper doesn't go with Plan C. Districts can choose to do more not less than Cooper.

https://www.wbtv.com/2020/07/01/cms-...-announcement/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte