U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2008, 07:28 PM

74 posts, read 330,573 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of looking for a home inspector, but we are doing so from a long distance away. Has anyone ever had any experience with either "Microspec" or "Inspection Contractors"?

Feel free to send me a direct message.

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 08:12 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,380,727 times
I haven't worked with the people you've mentioned but I can recommend "Home Spectors". They were very thorough and informative.
Home Inspection services you can count on

Old 04-28-2008, 10:16 AM

407 posts, read 778,683 times
We obtained a list of three from our realtor. I was not available the day of the inspection since we are 500 miles away. The inspector missed things that should have been noted. You need to be there and ask questions how everything works,appliances, HVAC, check drains, etc. There was a post last week about a final walk thru prior to closing on a new home construction. Very informative. Also strongly advise a home guarantee paid for by the seller.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:07 AM

255 posts, read 833,404 times
If the selling home has a crawl space they are nothing but closing cash predators...

Least in my experience.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:53 AM

74 posts, read 330,573 times
Default Thanks

Yes - I plan to fly in for the inspection. Not an expense I WANT to incur, but I would probably reget it if I didn't.

How close to the closing date does the final walk-through take place?

Old 05-15-2008, 08:57 PM

4,638 posts, read 23,416,339 times
Default Finding a good home inspector

This may be a little late for you, but...
You can do a "find an inspector" on the American Society of Home Inspectors web site Home Inspector at American Society of Home Inspectors: American Society Of Home Inspectors, ASHI, ASHI Home Inspection, ASHI Inspector.

At least you know that with an Certified ASHI inspector, they have completed at least 250 inspections and past some real tests. Some of the other affiliations inspectors use are no more than diploma mills that send them a "certification" as soon as they get their check.

You still need to interview the inspector. Find out how long they have been in business inspecting homes, how many homes they have inspected, how long it will take them, and if they are going to include a bunch of digital photos of the stuff they find. Since you can't be there, the photos will help you understand what they are writing about.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:02 AM

79 posts, read 214,333 times
We plan on hiring a home inspector to inspect our new home a month or two before the 1 year warranty is up. Their list will stand up a lot better than the homeowner's complaints should a dispute ever be taken to court. SD

Old 05-16-2008, 06:52 AM

4,638 posts, read 23,416,339 times
We do a lot of year end inspections on new homes. The builders seem to respond to a professional home inspectors list. In NJ, home inspectors need to be state licensed.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:59 AM

3,361 posts, read 9,401,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfrommass View Post
Yes - I plan to fly in for the inspection. Not an expense I WANT to incur, but I would probably reget it if I didn't.

How close to the closing date does the final walk-through take place?

Our final walk through was a week before closing, we had the house inspected a week prior to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte