U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 05:24 PM

9 posts, read 37,886 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to Mooresville from Long Island. My husband is retired NYPD and we need to change our health insurance coverage.(Vytra is not recognized down south) Any retired cops from NYC that can comment on which carrier we should take? We are not sure what is widely accepted in the area and we have a young son who will need to get set up with a pediatrician soon after we move.

Thanks
~brandonsmom
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 07:21 AM

77 posts, read 208,424 times
not NYPD...but I just secure Wellpath. ...less expensive than BCBS

Old 04-30-2008, 01:21 PM

Thanks MoveItCharlotte!

Wellpath is not one of our choices. With the police department you have to pick from the list of companies they offer. Its kind of a shot in the dark at this point.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:59 PM

99 posts, read 377,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonsmom View Post
My family is moving to Mooresville from Long Island. My husband is retired NYPD and we need to change our health insurance coverage.(Vytra is not recognized down south) Any retired cops from NYC that can comment on which carrier we should take? We are not sure what is widely accepted in the area and we have a young son who will need to get set up with a pediatrician soon after we move.

Thanks
~brandonsmom
My husband is retired Dept. of Sanitation and we now have GHI - the only participating pediatricians happen to be in Mooresville. That might work for you, but it would be a little far for us to travel with a sick kid. I am pretty sure that all city workers have the same medical choices (?). When I was looking, it seemed like Aetna would be the only good choice for us. It will be very expensive for us though -over $250 a month - GHI is free.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:03 PM

3 posts, read 11,465 times
We made the GHI mistake...dont do it. Your ONLY option is aetna

Old 05-07-2008, 06:55 PM

24 posts, read 68,131 times
shmom, what's the problem with GHI? We have that now in NY and haven't had any problems with it. What makes aetna so much better? And does it really cost $250 a month?

Old 05-07-2008, 07:33 PM

Default GHI vs Aetna

From what Info I am receiving Aetna has many more providers in NC. However it costs about 290.00 per month pick up the coverage. (for a family) I have been sent a few emails from people that have moved from NY to Mooresville and they have given me the names of the Doctors they are using with the GHI coverage.
I am going to call those doctors and see how it works.....When I called Aetna they said they could not even tell me what my co-pay would be until I was on board with them....
We pay 220.00 per month right now for Vytra. We live in Suffolk county and when we initially chose this plan because the GHI Doctors were really from Nassau county in towards the city. (very few and far between where we live)We would love to not have to pay for Insurance once we move but my 2 years old cannot go without a pediatrician :-)
Thanks to all for your input. I cannot thank you enough. In all the craziness that comes with relocation this topic has proven to be the hardest decision. And we could not have done it with out you!!!!

Old 05-08-2008, 07:26 AM

3 posts, read 11,465 times
Your GHI works in NY because drs accept it. If you want to travel back to those drs you will be fine. If you want to see a dr in NC GHI is not going to work.
It is more expensive but it seems to be the only option until we get more nyc benefits. Good luck

Old 05-08-2008, 11:45 AM

24 posts, read 68,131 times
Thanks for the info shmom. I guess it will be aetna for us!

Old 05-08-2008, 01:15 PM

99 posts, read 377,862 times
Has anyone used GHI out of network? Is there a deductible before you get
reimbursed? My temporary plan is to have all of our maintenance care when we are back here in NY. The only time I will need a dr. is for emergencies. I know that my husband will get restless being retired (he is only 40) and will eventually get a job. When he does we will use whatever insurance is available at his new job. Unless, of course, GHI goes public like someone on this forum mentioned and more NC drs. start accepting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte