Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 11:11 AM

85 posts, read 395,662 times

Advertisements

I have read quite a bit about the general Steele Creek area, but I would like to know some specifics from anyone who actually lives/has lived there. I've just read through dozens of threads mentioning Steele Creek, but these questions are still unanswered.
  • There are some large homes for sale under $200k. Why are homes so affordable here?
  • What are some good "family" neighborhoods/subdivisions?
  • How is the commute to Uptown? To Ballantyne?
  • How high do your taxes & home owner's insurance run?
  • What do you generally like & dislike about living there?
Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 12:00 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,024,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodbye Bawlmer View Post
I have read quite a bit about the general Steele Creek area, but I would like to know some specifics from anyone who actually lives/has lived there. I've just read through dozens of threads mentioning Steele Creek, but these questions are still unanswered.
  • There are some large homes for sale under $200k. Why are homes so affordable here?
I guess first off define a large home, I could have a bought a home much cheaper than mine else where, however I liked the area.

I live in Falcon Ridge, I would say pretty much family orientated

Commute to uptown is 30-35 mins

Currently Falcon ridge has not been annexed so tax rate is 1.01, home owners is $550 a year

I love the fact that we are so close to everything within 3 miles I ahve two harris teeters, super walmart, food lion, bi-lo, lowes supermarket, super target, home depot, lowes etc, etc

I lovethe fact that I see horses on the way home etc.

Only lived there a year so do not have any dislikes yet.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:09 PM

672 posts, read 1,831,493 times
Quote:
I will touch on a few of these aspects. I don't generally think that homes are cheap here. WE paid $300k for ours here. But yeah, price per sq ft is pretty good. A lot of the newer construction you see their prices are so low b/c everything is an option so if you want a nice looking house with nice options it would be closer to $250k.

Schools: A work in progress. Some of them score rather low, Steele Creek elem for example and Berry Hill Elem. I would rank Lake Wylie Elem as the best one in the area. As far as Kennedy Middle, it mimics that of an inner city school so that one is a bit frustrating as well. The good news: we are getting new schools so that will help with overcrowding.

Our taxes are quite low right now as we are not annexed for the city of Charlotte yet. When we are annexed are taxes will go up but will still be reasonable. HOme Owners ins is about $100 a month for us.

Likes: Close to 485. trees, hills, walking trails, parks. Rivergate shopping center.

Dislikes: NO local hospitals or good doctors. Though they are putting in health care facilities near the Palisades. Whitehall shopping center. Within one area like Steele Creek it is amazing the difference b/w these two shopping center and the difference in crowds they bring in.

It depends on how much you are looking to spend but if you could afford it, the Palisades is a wonderful place to live within Steele Creek. Beautiful neighborhood, security within neighborhood, great family feel to it, etc.

Good neighborhood/subdivisions: Being that Berewick has also just recently added security I would put them and their ammenities right after the Palisades. This neighborhood has its good points, will have shops etc, community pools, playground, etc and a new school. Waterlyn is also a nice looking subdivision but neighbors a so so subdivision.

Neighborhoods I would personally stay away from: Planters walk, Withers Grove, Steelecroft.

Good luck.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:32 PM

85 posts, read 395,662 times
Thank you both so much! These are exactly the kind of answers I was looking for.

NKJAWS - I really appreciate the warnings of areas to stay away from too, sometimes it's hard to judge when you're excited about a new area and not at all familiar with it.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Thank you both so much! These are exactly the kind of answers I was looking for.

NKJAWS - I really appreciate the warnings of areas to stay away from too, sometimes it's hard to judge when you're excited about a new area and not at all familiar with it.
Oh, I so agree. Also another positive to Steele Creek, it is so close to Ft. Mill. They just opened the Tega Cay Walmart which is wonderful to shop at. Also, we go into Ft. Mill for all of our doctor appts. So it is nice to be close to uptown and to be close to Ft. Mill.

Also subdivisions off of Erwin near Lake Wylie Elem seem nice.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:43 PM

My nearest gas station is in South Carolina, added bonus there.

I like shopping in Lowes foods, nice little supermarket.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:51 PM

578 posts, read 2,599,377 times

Dunno, but I love!!! it! We moved from Seattle and literally got twice as much house for half as much money. I've been waiting for the "ah-ha" too, but it just hasn't happened.

Can't speak for any other than Coventry, where we bought. I like it and am very happy here. Can't say enough good things about Eastwood.

20 mins straight up Tryon to uptown, or you can take the freeway. I love the fact I have different routes to get into town. Ballantyne, I went there today and it was 25 mins in rush hour.

This is the one thing I am not happy about. Taxes on our $203k house are about $2600 a year, and I fume every time I think about the fact I could have moved 3 miles down the road and been paying half that and in a better school district.
Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you! [/quote]

I really, really like Steele Creek. I was just saying to my husband that everything we could possibly need or want is right in the area. Stores, banks, gyms, everything is within 10 mins except for a hospital, like others have said. It's my understanding an ER is going up on S. Tryon or nearby, and there's a hospital scheduled to be built down the street in Tega Mill/Fort Cay at some point (yeah, I said it. What is that place REALLY called, anyway?).

Old 05-01-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post

Dunno, but I love!!! it! We moved from Seattle and literally got twice as much house for half as much money. I've been waiting for the "ah-ha" too, but it just hasn't happened.

Can't speak for any other than Coventry, where we bought. I like it and am very happy here. Can't say enough good things about Eastwood.

20 mins straight up Tryon to uptown, or you can take the freeway. I love the fact I have different routes to get into town. Ballantyne, I went there today and it was 25 mins in rush hour.

This is the one thing I am not happy about. Taxes on our $203k house are about $2600 a year, and I fume every time I think about the fact I could have moved 3 miles down the road and been paying half that and in a better school district.
I really, really like Steele Creek. I was just saying to my husband that everything we could possibly need or want is right in the area. Stores, banks, gyms, everything is within 10 mins except for a hospital, like others have said. It's my understanding an ER is going up on S. Tryon or nearby, and there's a hospital scheduled to be built down the street in Tega Mill/Fort Cay at some point (yeah, I said it. What is that place REALLY called, anyway?).[/quote]
I think that hospital situation is still up in the air. NO one really seems to know when it will be built. Yes all the shopping is great here, although, restuarant choices are lacking. WE always seem to have to go to S.Charlotte/Pineville to eat good

Old 05-01-2008, 01:06 PM

You may also like this site

Steele Creek Residents Association

Old 05-01-2008, 03:32 PM

578 posts, read 2,599,377 times
Nkjaws, so true about good food. You do have to travel to get it, so I agree that is one thing that Steele Creek is lacking = truly fine dining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte