Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 07:56 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,411,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
I am not certain what the above comments are all about. The city cut funding because COVID has reduced the money they have available. The plan at Eastland was designed to gentrify the area. I am not sure if Tepper made the decision himself or did the city also have input. But the feeling is that soccer camps for youths and soccer fields along with new housing would have a bigger impact than a team headquarters. I am inclined to agree with that. The new plan will leave some additional land available for additional housing or other opportunity.

As far as the Panthers building a new stadium in Rock Hill. I don’t think that is going to happen. Tepper is not going to move that far from the central part of his fan base to a county less than 33 percent that of Mecklenburg. He does want to fill the seats.

For the person above that mentioned stopping the growth, you know that is not going to happen. If you are not happy with the growth then move to a city where there is no growth.

For the person complaining about the project, it is hard to argue with the success that Charlotte has had in recruiting jobs, corporate HQ, cresting development alingvrail line and its success in creating walkable neighborhoods, gentrifying rundown neighborhoods near downtown etc. the city has done many things right. So if your not happy move. It accomplishes nothing to come on here and complain. Now is a good time to sell your home. You will get top dollar now.

Move to a town with no population growth and no job growth. Then good luck at finding a job.
I agree, which is why I included the excerpts from the original article that I did. The funding that Tepper is getting has been reduced significantly, and the site should still be developed. From what I’ve seen, the main advantage for Tepper seems to be the amount of time for when Charlotte FC can relocate from BofA Stadium was reduced from 15 to 9 years.

I doubt an “MLS HQ” would really add much to the area. Having the academy there is something that might actually benefit the surrounding community, both through the academy itself and being able to use the fields. Speaking of, if fields are taking up a large portion of the land, that’s a pretty big area where apartments can’t go so the traffic impact may not be that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2020, 07:57 AM

The revised plan was passed BTW - https://www.wcnc.com/mobile/article/...9-2d808ef4da7b

Old 11-13-2020, 06:28 AM

334 posts, read 293,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post

When did the public hearing take place?
When was the variance of the variance announced?
That school was well underway before public notices about the change of zoning were even put up. Even then, the one sign that I went looking for was hidden behind a tree branch..

The city council is hot to put anything there regardless of the cost to the surrounding area. Anyone remember when the city council OK'd the ethnic theme park? The only reason why that didn't go through was because the city wasn't willing to make major concessions to the developer.

The film school fell through, and everyone agreed that it wouldn't pull in any revenue to the area. Now we're going to have low income housing and sports practice fields there. How is that a money-maker?

The area is short on police. (45 minutes+ for 911 response time unless there's a shooting--- if anyone even shows up).

I think the area needs a new District 1 city councilman and a new mayor to accompany him as they leave office after the next election.

Old 11-15-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langerhans View Post
When did the public hearing take place?
When was the variance of the variance announced?
That school was well underway before public notices about the change of zoning were even put up. Even then, the one sign that I went looking for was hidden behind a tree branch..

The city council is hot to put anything there regardless of the cost to the surrounding area. Anyone remember when the city council OK'd the ethnic theme park? The only reason why that didn't go through was because the city wasn't willing to make major concessions to the developer.

The film school fell through, and everyone agreed that it wouldn't pull in any revenue to the area. Now we're going to have low income housing and sports practice fields there. How is that a money-maker?

The area is short on police. (45 minutes+ for 911 response time unless there's a shooting--- if anyone even shows up).

I think the area needs a new District 1 city councilman and a new mayor to accompany him as they leave office after the next election.
What do you think should go there?

Old 11-29-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
What do you think should go there?

Should? I can't make policy. I can make suggestions on the basis of "could".

Perhaps a medical clinic. Atrium has nothing on that side of town. Neither does Novant.

A non-Hispanic grocery store. Not everyone--- not even the majority of people--- in Windsor Park is Hispanic. There are three Hispanic grocery stores within a mile of Eastland, but only one Harris Teeter that's located on Central. While it's said that the HT at Eastland closed because of rampant shoplifting, lessons learned could help a new grocery store at Eastland to be profitable. (Yes, there is a Food Lion on N. Sharon Amity and Kimmerly Glenn, but have you ever been in there?).

I'm not a city planner, and I don't know where the economic growth potential exists.

One thing that I do know that more "affordable housing" (i.e. low income housing) will not attract stable business development to that area. Earlier, I stated that there were about nine apartment developments within a mile or so of the area. Further investigation reveals that there are closer to sixteen apartment developments in the area. High density housing (e.g. low-income apartments) won't attract stable businesses.

The brakes should be put on all development of Eastland until the Covid-19 crisis passes. There is already a school in completion stages in the area, and I don't think that it is even opened yet. When it does begin operating, the traffic will be a nightmare. Though the city has designated one lane on Central for buses only, that won't really solve problems. When Eastland Mall was doing well in the late eighties and early nineties, weekend traffic in and out of the mall created much congestion.

The city council needs to tour the area --- on one bus--- together to see what exists in the Eastland mall/Windsor Park area before it makes any more hare-brained decisions regarding the development of the Eastland tract, then the councilmen should ask themselves, "Would I live in the area with all of the apartments?".

The City Council seems to believe that putting anything at Eastland is better than having nothing there at all. It isn't thinking in terms of the future.

Old 11-29-2020, 06:26 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,603,388 times
Eastland Mall has been a blight for some 20 years. I remember the last time I went there and decided it was my last time (think Concord Mills).

I agree with Langerhans that affordable housing, hispanic grocery and/or apartments are not a good fit. Whatever is developed it does not need to encourage any 'hanging out'.

BTW - are you sure Egleston is the rep? I thought this was district 5? Seem to remember Dipple Aljmera was the old rep there. She certainly didn't do that area any favors.

Old 11-30-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Eastland Mall has been a blight for some 20 years. I remember the last time I went there and decided it was my last time (think Concord Mills).

I agree with Langerhans that affordable housing, hispanic grocery and/or apartments are not a good fit. Whatever is developed it does not need to encourage any 'hanging out'.

BTW - are you sure Egleston is the rep? I thought this was district 5? Seem to remember Dipple Aljmera was the old rep there. She certainly didn't do that area any favors.

It doesn't matter to me whose district Eastland is in. It borders Windsor park, which is BowTie Guy's territory. I thought District 5 was Matt Newton's district.

I'm not against Hispanic grocery stores. I just feel that the area doesn't need any more ethnicity-specific grocery stores. There are two Asian stores and (at least) two Hallel stores as well as two Hispanic stores in the immediate vicinity of Eastland. They serve a present demographic.That's a good thing. To shop in a non-ethnithicity specific grocery store, one must drive down Central Avenue to Plaza-Midwood to the HT where the prices are outrageously high and there is very limited parking, or drive to the WalMart on Independence. Unfortunately, a grocery store will not locate at Eastland because of the rampant shoplifting that HT suffered from the inhabitants of the surrounding low-rent housing back in the late '90's.

Anyone who has followed the growth of businesses on Central from 10th Street to Morningside Drive (and beyond) during the past five years will certainly see an upscale trend. Central Avenue is beginning to look a bit like the early stages of the South End. Planning should shift toward that mindset.

Put some affordable housing in Myers Park and Dilworth. It'll do everyone concerned some good.

Old 11-30-2020, 02:13 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,603,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langerhans View Post
It doesn't matter to me whose district Eastland is in. It borders Windsor park, which is BowTie Guy's territory. I thought District 5 was Matt Newton's district.

I'm not against Hispanic grocery stores. I just feel that the area doesn't need any more ethnicity-specific grocery stores. There are two Asian stores and (at least) two Hallel stores as well as two Hispanic stores in the immediate vicinity of Eastland. They serve a present demographic.That's a good thing. To shop in a non-ethnithicity specific grocery store, one must drive down Central Avenue to Plaza-Midwood to the HT where the prices are outrageously high and there is very limited parking, or drive to the WalMart on Independence. Unfortunately, a grocery store will not locate at Eastland because of the rampant shoplifting that HT suffered from the inhabitants of the surrounding low-rent housing back in the late '90's.

Anyone who has followed the growth of businesses on Central from 10th Street to Morningside Drive (and beyond) during the past five years will certainly see an upscale trend. Central Avenue is beginning to look a bit like the early stages of the South End. Planning should shift toward that mindset.

Put some affordable housing in Myers Park and Dilworth. It'll do everyone concerned some good.
You mentioned the district rep twice - that is why I brought it up....

The land is too expensive to put affordable housing in Myers Park or Dilworth. There might be a few units put in by developers that are required to add it but you are kidding yourself if really think that is going to happen.

Old 11-30-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
There might be a few units put in by developers that are required to add it but you are kidding yourself if really think that is going to happen.

But it's the thought that counts.

Old 07-22-2022, 08:26 PM

I guess no one should be surprised, but Charlotte FC now out of Eastland project completely

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/ea...ource=facebook
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte