Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 7,177 times

Advertisements

I am just starting to look with my hubby in that area for a home.We would love to live in South Charlotte but need a safe affordable area .We have a 2 yr old and we have a price range up until 150K. would love some feedback on good areas and subdivisions in that range...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 08:37 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
That area was just discussed recently and is discussed often on this forum.
You can use the search feature on the right of the forum and look up alot of information you may be looking for .
I just did that and here are some threads relating to Steele Creek.

STEEL CREEK any one with info.
Steele Creek Area of Charlotte
Steele Creek RESIDENTS Can you answer some ???s
Just moved to the Steele Creek area
The Springs at Steele Creek / Whitehall Apts ???
Steele Creek
Steele Creek or Lake Norman?
Walkers Creek area - near York Rd./Steel Creek Rd Info Please
Steele Creek or Fort Mill?

Old 05-03-2008, 08:52 PM

672 posts, read 1,830,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsmomiam View Post
I am just starting to look with my hubby in that area for a home.We would love to live in South Charlotte but need a safe affordable area .We have a 2 yr old and we have a price range up until 150K. would love some feedback on good areas and subdivisions in that range...
Any particular reason why you have zeroed in on Steele Creek? With a house price range of $150k max, that would probably put you in a neighborhood like Planters Walk etc, and well, we just didn't find it to be all that family friendly. YOu may be able to find a house nearing Ft. Mill in that price range. We reside in Berewick and you can't even get a house for that price here.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:37 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Hi kimsmom It is very hard to get a home in south Charlotte itself in that price range anymore. In addition, homes in Steele Creek in that price range are not always in the most desirable areas due to some neighborhoods having more foreclosures. Will your job be in south Charlotte, is that why you are looking there? If not, where will it be?

Last edited by lovesMountains; 05-03-2008 at 09:52 PM..

Old 05-04-2008, 01:20 AM

15 posts, read 38,142 times
Even highly respected expensive neighborhoods have foreclosures. That price range is a little more difficult but not impossible. I keep seeing neighborhoods named as being bad that are still good neighborhoods. I have friends in them and they enjoy their community. They are in great locations. I hope to see their labels disappear. Some of those neighborhoods had easy terms for the first purchase of the home...even getting in the home with $99. Easy qualifying can lead to putting a buyer in a home they cannot continue to maintain and afford. Thus, the foreclosures may occur in multiples in one area. That doesn't necessarily mean the neighborhood should forever be avoided or that the community is bad.

Last edited by BeckyRoss; 05-04-2008 at 01:26 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-04-2008, 08:18 AM

672 posts, read 1,830,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyRoss View Post
Even highly respected expensive neighborhoods have foreclosures. That price range is a little more difficult but not impossible. I keep seeing neighborhoods named as being bad that are still good neighborhoods. I have friends in them and they enjoy their community. They are in great locations. I hope to see their labels disappear. Some of those neighborhoods had easy terms for the first purchase of the home...even getting in the home with $99. Easy qualifying can lead to putting a buyer in a home they cannot continue to maintain and afford. Thus, the foreclosures may occur in multiples in one area. That doesn't necessarily mean the neighborhood should forever be avoided or that the community is bad.
When I think of family friendly, I think of having great neighbors, being able to take walks as a family or with your child, feeling safe and giving your child the quality of life that brings happiness, etc. In certain neighborhoods in Steele Creek I do not find that to be the case at all, and I can speak from personal experience b/c we rented in Planters Walk while we were building in Berewick and couldn't wait to get out of that neighborhood. I did not consider it family friendly, I did not feel safe walking my daughter to school as the rif raf loved to drive thru the neighborhood and it just wasn't one of those neighborhoods where I felt that I could stay and be happy and feel safe in. Add to the list numerous break ins throughout the neighborhood, and neighbors whom you never really saw. Also, we had friends living in Withers Grove and they put their house on the market and moved back to their former town b/c of constant gun shots and crime in their neighborhood. Steelecroft also has similar problems, etc. I don't consider these neighborhoods family friendly by any means. What I do find family friendly and safe are neighborhoods heading towards Ft. Mill, some of the more expensive ones which are out of the OP's price range unfortunately, but I will list them anyways, The Palisades, The Sanctuary, and with added security now my neighborhood I would list as family friendly and safe. Yes, there are others, but since I haven't visited them or haven't lived there I don't feel that I should be the one commenting on those.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,177 times
Default Home in steele Creek

We have been looking in south charlotte bc my hubby will be starting a new job in a few months down there but now we live in Cornelius so we need something kind of halfway. So far our agent has had us look in Southbridge area. Any feedback????

Old 05-04-2008, 07:53 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
We have been looking in south charlotte bc my hubby will be starting a new job in a few months down there but now we live in Cornelius so we need something kind of halfway. So far our agent has had us look in Southbridge area. Any feedback????
I don't know of a bad thing to tell you about Southbridge Schools are some that I like.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:01 PM

249 posts, read 874,928 times
Have you looked at hamilton lakes? Its a kb subdivision. I believe its technically ft mill but its pretty close to the border of steele creek. Taxes and schools would also be better. They start at 148k so it might be pushing your budget a bit but maybe you could find a deal on a spec home?

I like that area, best of both worlds... steele creek shopping (rivergate) and ft mill schools/taxes. There are a couple of other communities right in that area off 160 but i'm not sure what the names are.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:07 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,021,085 times
Hamilton lakes is this side off the state line, it is in Charlotte proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte