Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2021, 01:19 AM

39 posts, read 54,955 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm looking to relocate to Charlotte in Summer 2021. I was thinking about the first of July.

I'm a single guy in his early 30's with no kids. This would be me moving to a new place and starting fresh. I don't have a job at the moment. My job which was a contract ended before covid and I have been unemployed since. The work I mainly do is office work. I have no degree and the only thing I can get is decent office gigs without any skills or certifications. I don't want to let this stop me from starting fresh. I do have $18,000 saved to my name. I know that should be a nice little cushion for a move.

Like I said, I'm looking to move in the first of July. I'm also considering the first of January in 2022. That might be more wise because I could at least get a temporary job and save up more money for the move. I also think this might be me overthinking things. I was wondering should I wait things out a bit more as far as the pandemic goes, but I don't want to put stuff off. I'm thinking I should just take a leap and stick to July of this year. I have some questions:

1. I'm looking to living in the South End and/or Dilworth area. Are there any office building in those areas where I could find office work near where I would be living?

2. Also, I don't have a car so would it be possible for me to living in the South End or Dilworth area and take the lynx train or public transportation in general to and from work? Also, are there any offices that are in walking distances of said areas?

3. I would love to rent an apartment in South End, but that doesn't seem feasible in the beginning. I would most likely have to rent a room? Are there are lot of rentals for a room in South End? A suite with a private entrance attached to a house would be ideal. I see a lot of rentals where people have apartments over top of their garage. By the way, my ideal price range is within $800-$1100. I know there are some apartments in Charlotte within my price range but most of them I have looked up are high in crime , roach infested, in bad neighborhoods, and just terrible in general.

4. As far as job searching in Charlotte's job market, would it best to look for a job before I move? Or could I wait until I move and start looking?

5. Would renting a duplex be a good move? I would prefer privacy and they seem to be within my price range. The real estate companies renting them do have bad reviews. I also wonder would sharing a wall with another person end up being a pain? Here is a realtor.com listing for a duplex as an example:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2-88188#photo0

Would something like that be good to rent?

6. Is $18,000 grand enough to have saved for a move to Charlotte? Or should I save some more money and wait until January 1st?

That is all the questions I have. Thanks a lot for reading. I really appreciate it. I would also appreciate any and all replies. Any suggestions and criticism regarding my plan are welcome. I know moving to a new state is no joke and I'm trying to have all my bases covered. I know my case is different since so many people who tend to move somewhere new have degrees, careers, and a car. lol I just want a brand, new start. Like the old saying goes, if there's a will then there's a way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 06:51 AM

751 posts, read 936,392 times
Would always recommend finding a job before making a large move. Not only for financial security, but also because your office may end up far away from wherever you found a residence.

The Lynx/Light Rail is great if you have a job uptown or at UNCC, but otherwise you'll most likely want a car in this area. They do have a robust bus network, but depending on your route, you may end up needing multiple bus transfers...which is another reason to line up a job before finding a place to live.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:01 AM

425 posts, read 420,234 times
I moved to Charlotte in late 2002, as the Bush era recession was ebbing. I had enough money saved to rent an apartment on my own, and it took me about 3 months to find a job through a temp agency. It was an assignment that lasted several months and paid $12/hr, just enough to cover my bills until I could find a salaried position.

So I don't discard the idea of moving first and establishing a base. However, I did have a car and that made every aspect of searching for an apartment, furnishing it, plus normal daily errands so much more convenient.

It is possible to lease a car at a weekly or monthly rate. I really think you should consider it.

Last edited by SGMI; 01-19-2021 at 08:10 AM..

Old 01-19-2021, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDcc123 View Post
Would always recommend finding a job before making a large move. Not only for financial security, but also because your office may end up far away from wherever you found a residence.

The Lynx/Light Rail is great if you have a job uptown or at UNCC, but otherwise you'll most likely want a car in this area. They do have a robust bus network, but depending on your route, you may end up needing multiple bus transfers...which is another reason to line up a job before finding a place to live.
Thanks for responding. My mind keeps telling me to try to get a job lined before I come. I'll consider this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMI View Post
I moved to Charlotte in late 2002, as the Bush era recession was ebbing. I had enough money saved to rent an apartment on my own, and it took me about 3 months to find a job through a temp agency. It was an assignment that lasted several months and paid $12/hr, just enough to cover my bills until I could find a salaried position.

So I don't discard the idea of moving first and establishing a base. However, I did have a car and that made every aspect of searching for an apartment, furnishing it, plus normal daily errands so much more convenient.

It is possible to lease a car at a weekly or monthly rate. I really think you should consider it.
Thanks for responding. I wasn't trying to get a car. At least not at the beginning. I have to think about this. Leasing does sounds like a good idea though.

Old 02-09-2021, 09:26 PM

44 posts, read 97,101 times
The only thing I would add to the good advice given by others here is that a car is almost a necessity in Charlotte if you don't know exactly where you're going to be working. The public transit is good, compared to a lot of cities, but don't underestimate the time required to travel to work. And depending on what kind of work you get, your job could be anywhere -- not necessarily close to the transit routes. When I lived there about 8 years ago I had a 6 mile commute from the Steele Creek/Rivergate area to just off South Tryon inside 485, which meant that driving my own car was the only option. And just that short commute was tiring during rush hours.

Good luck with your decisions and job search!

Old 02-09-2021, 11:04 PM

282 posts, read 114,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcitynewme View Post
..., roach infested,....
You understand that Charlotte is the Roach City?

Old 02-12-2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk55 View Post
The only thing I would add to the good advice given by others here is that a car is almost a necessity in Charlotte if you don't know exactly where you're going to be working. The public transit is good, compared to a lot of cities, but don't underestimate the time required to travel to work. And depending on what kind of work you get, your job could be anywhere -- not necessarily close to the transit routes. When I lived there about 8 years ago I had a 6 mile commute from the Steele Creek/Rivergate area to just off South Tryon inside 485, which meant that driving my own car was the only option. And just that short commute was tiring during rush hours.

Good luck with your decisions and job search!
Thank you so much for the reply. I think I'm leaning more towards getting a job first before I move. I feel that would be best. No telling where I would be working and I would need to consider that before I move anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countysquare View Post
You understand that Charlotte is the Roach City?
LOL!!! Thanks for the reply. I didn't know that about Charlotte. I heard it was called the Queen City, but not Roach City. I did a quick google search and some things came up. Palmetto bugs were mentioned along with the roaches. Can you elaborate a little more? Is every place plagued with roaches? Even new apartment complexes?

Old 02-13-2021, 09:46 AM

425 posts, read 420,234 times
Palmetto bugs used to be something native to the "deep south" and I had not seen them locally until about 30 years ago. It's probably a mixture of climate change and perhaps some of the major hurricanes recently, blowing them further north. Keep firm weatherstripping around your doors, and they won't usually come into your house.

Old 02-13-2021, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMI View Post
Palmetto bugs used to be something native to the "deep south" and I had not seen them locally until about 30 years ago. It's probably a mixture of climate change and perhaps some of the major hurricanes recently, blowing them further north. Keep firm weatherstripping around your doors, and they won't usually come into your house.
That sounds good. Thanks for the tip. I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte