Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 12:42 PM

16 posts, read 12,993 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am in the process of relocating to Charlotte from out of state. I think we've pretty much settled on Fort Mill as where we will buy a house, due to the school quality, and prices for what we want.

The only thing nagging me is that I have two kids who will go to college (one in 3 years, one in 7 years). I would like to pay for their college tuition. But I can't afford most private tuitions, and I don't want them to saddle themselves with student loan debt, so I will nudge them towards public universities in the state in which we reside.

I'm debating for this reason to look for a house in NC instead because of the better selection of state universities in NC.

Has anyone else made the decision whether to live in SC vs NC, with their kids possibility of attending that state's schools (either NC or SC) as a large factor?

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 04:46 PM

425 posts, read 419,281 times
Think of it this way. You are an employer looking at some resumes for an entry level position.

University of Kentucky... Colorado State... Arizona state... Michigan state... etc.

Odds are, you see them as roughly equivalently credentialed, and don't really put much weight on one school vs another. You're going to look more at how the candidate presents himself, any other indications of motivation and enthusiasm to perform, the candidate's personal references, etc.

So North Carolina over South Carolina isn't going to be a big bucket of beans one way or the other, if your kids apply to jobs more than a few states away from here.

Old 04-16-2021, 05:59 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
I am sure plenty of people have graduated from South Carolina universities and are very successful in their fields, but I suspect if you were to ask this question on a forum like CollegeConfidential the folks there would come down resoundingly in favor of colleges in North Carolina. South Carolina really just does not have an equivalent to UNC. NC State and Clemson are in the same ballpark, but USC is really not in UNC's ballpark. Do you anticipate your kids wanting to go to a very selective college? Are they good students? It may not matter. There are some good colleges in SC, too. You can run the numbers on it. And yes some employers absolutely will look at where you went to college, just depends on the field.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:04 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,305,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I am sure plenty of people have graduated from South Carolina universities and are very successful in their fields, but I suspect if you were to ask this question on a forum like CollegeConfidential the folks there would come down resoundingly in favor of colleges in North Carolina. South Carolina really just does not have an equivalent to UNC. NC State and Clemson are in the same ballpark, but USC is really not in UNC's ballpark. Do you anticipate your kids wanting to go to a very selective college? Are they good students? It may not matter. There are some good colleges in SC, too. You can run the numbers on it. And yes some employers absolutely will look at where you went to college, just depends on the field.
I agree with this. Generally, NC universities are a cut above those in SC, with the exception of Clemson, but to a large extent, it depends on what they want to major in. For example, for a nursing degree, it wouldn't matter - either state is fine.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:16 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
It doesnt matter where you go to undergrad. NCs might look better than SCs, sure.

But it literally makes no dif. A bachelors degree in borderline useless anyway. The real determinate of a job is the quality of their Masters degree if they get one.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:14 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
It doesnt matter where you go to undergrad. NCs might look better than SCs, sure.

But it literally makes no dif. A bachelors degree in borderline useless anyway. The real determinate of a job is the quality of their Masters degree if they get one.
That is really not true. Some fields don't need grad school.

Old 04-18-2021, 05:00 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
And yes some employers absolutely will look at where you went to college, just depends on the field.

Especially if they plan to be employed in NC. My son chose NC State over Penn State and an out of state private school because he thought long term it made more sense. I'm glad he did because he's been back and forth so much due to COVID that I feel like he should be a senior instead of a soph.

Old 04-19-2021, 09:04 AM

958 posts, read 1,725,461 times
Quote:

Beyond silly.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:08 PM

149 posts, read 165,581 times
We chose NC 18 years ago and fourteen years later, one of our kids chose Clemson over Chapel Hill and other NC schools. My advice is, if you are going to limit your kids’ choices to in state, don’t take them to visit anywhere out of state.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:42 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,599,411 times
Quote:

As a manager who works for one of the large banks in Charlotte and hires out of college for full time and contract employees I can promise you this is absolutely not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte