U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 01:28 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,234,385 times

Advertisements

I have been shopping around for the various services that I will use in Cornelius. I am attracted to Vonage for the free local and overseas calls. I know that an adaptor is required and there is what they call a two phone adaptor. If you use it, how do you like it, and is there can you use more than one phone with the system without too much hastle?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 01:35 PM

9,115 posts, read 16,643,383 times
I just switched to Vonage last month. I have the $20/month deal (bare bones) w/500 min for nationwide....I also get the 1st 2 months free...

Its cheaper than the triple play from TWC.

Had an issue w/my computer "slowing down" when I hooked it up at first, but my friend Raj from India corrected the situation in only 3 hrs!....

Otherwise, its fine......I will be saving about $20/month...

I only have it because my alarm system is tied to the home phone..

Old 05-13-2008, 01:48 PM

264 posts, read 869,160 times
Default We've had it for almost two years

It is fine now, but took a while for our old number (traditional phone line) to switch over. About two months, in fact. Seems the old traditional phone companies don't really want to play ball with Vonage, but there is some sort of portability rule and they have to give up the phone number eventually. Looking back, i wish we had just gone through the trouble of getting a new number.

As for quality. Occasionally there will be an echo on the line, and my friends say it takes a moment for my voice to click in. Similarly, there is an ever-so -slight delay when I answer the phone. I usually say "hello" twice. My spouse has figured it out, though, and just waits a beat before saying "hello."

Other than that, no complaints. Well, it does occasionally go down and the modem needs to be reset; hard to say if that is Vonage or the internet service.

I would say the small troubles are more than worth it for the savings you get. We use it for international calling and it's really cheap. You can also get a month free and your friend can get a month free if you get "referred" by someone who already has it.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:50 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,082,543 times
Think it is hit or miss and might depend on where you are. Have a friend that lives in Chantilly and had alot of problems. They eventually went back to Bell South.

That was when Vonage was still kinda new...they probably have more kinks worked out by now too.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 05-13-2008, 01:56 PM

6,955 posts, read 7,807,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I have been shopping around for the various services that I will use in Cornelius. I am attracted to Vonage for the free local and overseas calls. I know that an adaptor is required and there is what they call a two phone adaptor. If you use it, how do you like it, and is there can you use more than one phone with the system without too much hastle?
vindaloo - I have been a Vonage user for nearly 4 years in both NJ and NC and have not had a problem with it. I highly recommend Vonage and I use it for my sole phone source. The adapter looks very much like a cable modem or wireless modem. The Vonage adapter is plugged into the cable modem and my wireless internet router is plugged into the Vonage adapter. I plug my phone, which is a Uniden cordless answering machine combo into the Vonage adapter and I'm good to go. The Uniden phone can transmit to 9 other Uniden extension phones in the house so I don't need wiring for all those extensions. You just plug them in the wall!

In regards to your question about the 2-phone Vonage adapter - Mine has 2 phone jacks on the back of the adapter so you could have 2 separate lines with different phone numbers or a phone system /fax combo. The second line or the fax line is an extra charge. My bill runs about $31 a month including a charge for a phantom NC phone number. I kept my NJ number and added a "NC" phone number for $4.99 a month when I moved down here. Thus I keep 2 states happy. I dread what the cost would be if I still had Verizon as a land line carrier. If you get good internet service, your Vonage service will be good too!

Old 05-13-2008, 01:59 PM

9,115 posts, read 16,643,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solnechko View Post
It is fine now, but took a while for our old number (traditional phone line) to switch over. About two months, in fact. Seems the old traditional phone companies don't really want to play ball with Vonage, but there is some sort of portability rule and they have to give up the phone number eventually. Looking back, i wish we had just gone through the trouble of getting a new number.

See, I had no problems getting my # switched over...I received an e-mail 4-5 days after the switch saying everything was good..

Vonage took care of the line transfer w/TWC (they actually called TWC when my contract was up.). Make sure you call your cable/satellite company to make sure everything turns out ok though....

Old 05-13-2008, 02:04 PM

264 posts, read 869,160 times
We had the traditional phone company; I'm sorry I can't remember what it was. Bell South or some incarnation thereof. My friend who works there told me it's a political thing; they don't want to release the phone numbers but they have to, eventually. Vonage will give you a "virtual" number to use in the meantime, though. I just kept the old service active with voice mail only 'til Vonage was up and running.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:07 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,086,151 times
I've had Vonage for a year. I love it.

I have 3 phone handsets for it. One handset (base station) is connected to the Vonage-provided router and the other 2 are connected to the base station wirelessly. It works well. All three phones were purchased as a set. They are made by Uniden. There are lots of sets like this by many manufacturers.

My favorite features:
*price
*call forwarding to my cell phone
*voicemails are automatically emailed to you in .wav format
*the online feature management is easy to use.
*New offer allows customers to pay for 1 full year in advance for 20% less than the monthly rate.

If you don't have a referral, PM me your email address and I'll refer you!

Old 05-13-2008, 03:08 PM

3,361 posts, read 9,454,248 times
Question, does Vonage work with an alarm system, and what happens when power goes out.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:55 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,208,414 times
Default Love Vonage

I have used Vonage both here and in Maryland. I have never had a problem with it. I have a second home in Toronto and I call there at least daily...its a huge savings.

My kids and my family are spread all over this country and in Canada too...we all love it.

Good luck with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte