Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2021, 06:56 AM

58 posts, read 61,745 times

Advertisements

So I may potentially be commuting from NW-Charlotte (<10 mi from Uptown) on a new-ish road bike (5-speed, rim+coaster brakes). The path has a few easy hills to get through, but very little in terms of bicycle infra. The *closest* section with bike lanes is Idaho and W Trade.

I was wondering if there are any other similar commuters in this forum and what type of gear do they carry or wear on their commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 07:47 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,698,397 times
If you don't have a gym / locker room with showers at your office, I highly recommend joining an Uptown gym walking distance to your office as your can expect to sweat heavily at least 4 months per year with the humidity. It is going to be 97 degrees today with 77% humidity for example.

You'll also want to bring gear for rain with you everyday, especially in summer. The weather can change very quickly and a sudden thunderstorm that forecasters didn't see coming can quickly form during the afternoon commute. If it is hot and humid, the forecasters have no clue where the afternoon storms will form. They just tell you what is happening in the moment.

Old 07-29-2021, 11:23 AM

425 posts, read 418,993 times
Make sure you have a secure place away from street view to lock your bike. Too many transients wander around uptown, they may simply vandalize a bike out of frustration if they can't take it.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:41 PM

751 posts, read 934,802 times
Some of the parking garages have bike parking. I can't imagine there isn't a MeetUp/Reddit/Etc type group out there with more info for you.

Old 07-29-2021, 04:16 PM

231 posts, read 234,490 times
[quote=CLTCDR;61558279]Potentially commuting to work via bicycle. Any advice?QUOTE]

My advice is to not do it. Between the heat, rain, insane traffic and homicidal drivers, it won't end well.

Old 08-05-2021, 12:55 PM

Thank you all for your advice on what to consider when commuting via bicycle.

Despite some advice to avoid it, there are some safe bicycle paths that lead straight into uptown which I plan to use. The rest of my trip might be by bus though so I don't encounter so many drivers.

The heat/rain don't bother me as much as some. There are various ways to protect yourself against the sun during clear skies, and other types of weather.

Old 08-08-2021, 12:08 PM

52 posts, read 48,427 times
I don’t know your area very well, but here on east side of Charlotte, riding a bicycle con te road is not the best idea, as there is little or no bike culture here (drivers have no respect for bicyclists), too many large trucks and overall to ouch traffic, and literally no where to safely commute with a bike.

As other posters noted, humidity is high In sure and it can thunderstorm without much warning, so a pace to wash up before starting your job is helpful.

FYI, I used to be a serious bicycle computer, in 2 different states, with an average round trip commute distance of around 38 miles.

When I moved to Charlotte suburbs (Union County), sadly , my counting days ended.

Old 08-08-2021, 12:15 PM

52 posts, read 48,427 times
I don’t know your area very well, but here on east side of Charlotte, riding a bicycle con te road is not the best idea, as there is little or no bike culture here (drivers have no respect for bicyclists), too many large trucks and overall to ouch traffic, and literally no where to safely commute with a bike.

As other posters noted, humidity is high In sure and it can thunderstorm without much warning, so a pace to wash up before starting your job is helpful.

FYI, I used to be a serious bicycle computer, in 2 different states, with an average round trip commute distance of around 38 miles.

When I moved to Charlotte suburbs (Union County), sadly , my counting days ended.

Old 08-08-2021, 03:32 PM

@Monarkman Northwest CLT isn't great in terms of bicycle infra but we have the Stewart Creek greenway. So all one needs to do is ride a bus (which has a front rack for bicycles) to that point and ride on into the city. Stewart Creek is expanding later this year and should touch I-85 which will make the bus ride shorter (+) and the commute safer (+).
I think the best place to ride is probably the along the Blue Line. It has a greenway beginning from the southern end of I-485 all the way to Cordelia Park (Villa Heights/Noda).

There's also a bicycle lane on Rozelles Ferry/Idaho. Although not as safe as greenway or cycling track, it may prove to be useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: