Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2021, 09:07 PM

606 posts, read 420,515 times

Advertisements

At the end of my lease, which expires at the end of January, I am looking to move into a better apartment. I currently pay around $910 for a 1 bedroom and there are roaches in the building. I've seen worse, but I take care to clean up and spray raid, which results in the majority of the roaches that come in here eventually dying. I know I can't do anything about the messy tenants in the other units which I've been told is the cause.

But I'm also not too fond of some of the people here. The area is diverse and the surrounding neighborhoods are nice, not upscale but probably middle class. Some of the neighbors are kinda loud and play loud music. It doesn't happen daily though and I think management stepped up because it happened a lot more frequently months ago.

Some of the men that live here worry me. Like today a man in his vehicle tried to block my way to the mailbox (I ignored him and he drove off) but some of the vibes I get from some of the men around here make me a bit uncomfortable. I've also had another man drive beside me slowly in broad daylight while I was taking a walk.

I am looking for an area that's a bit walkable (not necessarily downtown because it will be out of my price range) that is safe for a single woman. At what price range would I have to pay for a 1 bedroom that does not have roaches? I did browsing for awhile yesterday and it seems even some of the nicer ones had roaches according to reviews.

My upper budget is capped at around $1250 going by rule of thirds. I work in Gastonia so I currently commute around 40 minutes. Are there also areas outside of Charlotte I can consider?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 03:42 AM

425 posts, read 420,104 times
You could consider looking for something in Clover or York in S.C. which would be a better commute to Gastonia than coming from Charlotte.

I don't feel like Gastonia has many good choices for apartments. The complexes are older looking and Gastonia is kind of iffy feeling in many areas to be a pedestrian.

One you might take a look at though is "Destination at Union" which borders the Avon Greenway in Gastonia.

There are some newer complexes on 74, west of Belmont - but I think the price ranges start around $1200 so the units in them in your price range would probably be the smallest available.

Old 08-11-2021, 06:10 AM

335 posts, read 430,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
At the end of my lease, which expires at the end of January, I am looking to move into a better apartment. I currently pay around $910 for a 1 bedroom and there are roaches in the building. I've seen worse, but I take care to clean up and spray raid, which results in the majority of the roaches that come in here eventually dying. I know I can't do anything about the messy tenants in the other units which I've been told is the cause.

But I'm also not too fond of some of the people here. The area is diverse and the surrounding neighborhoods are nice, not upscale but probably middle class. Some of the neighbors are kinda loud and play loud music. It doesn't happen daily though and I think management stepped up because it happened a lot more frequently months ago.

Some of the men that live here worry me. Like today a man in his vehicle tried to block my way to the mailbox (I ignored him and he drove off) but some of the vibes I get from some of the men around here make me a bit uncomfortable. I've also had another man drive beside me slowly in broad daylight while I was taking a walk.

I am looking for an area that's a bit walkable (not necessarily downtown because it will be out of my price range) that is safe for a single woman. At what price range would I have to pay for a 1 bedroom that does not have roaches? I did browsing for awhile yesterday and it seems even some of the nicer ones had roaches according to reviews.

My upper budget is capped at around $1250 going by rule of thirds. I work in Gastonia so I currently commute around 40 minutes. Are there also areas outside of Charlotte I can consider?

Thanks!
Nobody should feel unsafe where they live, that's unfortunate. If you're interested in breaking your lease there are a couple reasonably priced units available now, but they'll be gone by January for sure...but others will come around.

This condo uptown is listed in the MLS for $1250/month, I could send you the listing agent info if interested
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...80459875_zpid/

This one is on the MLS for $1075/month, right behind atrium main hospital
https://www.remax.com/nc/charlotte/h...97010022191108

Others come around from time to time, but rent is getting a little crazy in Charlotte. But those are two good options in walkable areas that may interest you. Best of luck.

Old 08-11-2021, 03:35 PM

606 posts, read 420,515 times
Thanks for both responses. This was my first apartment as I had previously lived with roommates, so I didn't know much about apartment hunting. I am not sure about breaking my lease though. I have been eyeing Pine21 and some of the newer complexes in Charlotte.

I will definitely look into both options. As far as taking a job in SC the wages would be too low and there's also the thing about taxes. I am in the process of looking for a job closer to home.

Just saw both apartments, the second one looks gorgeous! I think I will wait until the lease expires, but how can I find more apartments like these?

Old 08-11-2021, 04:35 PM

335 posts, read 430,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
Thanks for both responses. This was my first apartment as I had previously lived with roommates, so I didn't know much about apartment hunting. I am not sure about breaking my lease though. I have been eyeing Pine21 and some of the newer complexes in Charlotte.

I will definitely look into both options. As far as taking a job in SC the wages would be too low and there's also the thing about taxes. I am in the process of looking for a job closer to home.

Just saw both apartments, the second one looks gorgeous! I think I will wait until the lease expires, but how can I find more apartments like these?
To be honest, I pulled these from the MLS, so they may not be posted on the regular zillows and realtors and apartments dot coms of the world, but feel free to message me here if you ever want some assistance with that kind of stuff in the future. I make no money on rentals that I help people find (so I don't waste time doing it very often), so I'm not trying to solicit your business for income on my behalf, I just hate the idea of someone living somewhere they're uncomfortable or unhappy.
But in the meantime, check apartments dot com, zillow has rentals, craigslist does sometimes (but there are a LOT of rental scams on craigslist so play it safe there). Most of the time you can come across independently owned properties scattered on those sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte