Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 07:54 PM

334 posts, read 290,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24gf424g View Post
According to economists and developers, Charlotte and all along 85 to Atlanta are supposed to catch up with Atlanta.

That's interesting. Can you cite your source?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2021, 02:22 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,748,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
Now obviously I say “best in the world” rather tongue and cheek as I haven’t lived everywhere, but overall I think there is legit reasoning for seeing it as being “just right” for several reasons.

As a native I’ve thought about reasons I like the area I was born into for a long time…here is what I’ve come up with.

- not too far from the beach…I love going to the beach but I don’t think I’d want to live there.
- not too far from the mountains…I love occasionally taking the relative short drive for a mountain vacation
- not too expensive
- winters aren’t that bad…I hate cold weather and don’t see how those living any further north do it.
- good amount of sports teams (Hornets/Panthers/MLS/Knights)
- plenty of small towns around for that more traditional southern experience
- geographically right in the middle for those that like to travel more extensively (ATL/FL/Northeast)
- most of the big city stuff without being too big

Not sure if any perfect places exist but NC/Charlotte seems to ‘just right’ if you ask me.
Average monthly humidity of 67%??? No thank you.

Old 09-26-2021, 03:15 PM

1,655 posts, read 774,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Average monthly humidity of 67%??? No thank you.
Will take any kind of humidity over anything any colder than NC. I wish NC had FL weather but then I hear people complaining about FL weather for some reason.

Old 09-26-2021, 05:02 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,910,103 times
Must still be a secret. I know I can't wait to explore new areas at retirement.

Old 09-27-2021, 05:16 PM

1,655 posts, read 774,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Must still be a secret. I know I can't wait to explore new areas at retirement.
What areas are on your list?

Old 09-28-2021, 03:22 PM

12 posts, read 14,389 times
The region is wonderful, but you'd better have money to live a decent lifestyle in the city proper. Most of the city has been heading in the wrong direction for about 20 years. More suburbs are becoming ghetto, clearcutting has degraded the natural tree canopy, homelessness has risen, and most of the public schools are subpar. The local government has been taken over by incompetent ghetto politicians and bureaucrats, and again, this was not the case until about 20 years ago.

Old 09-28-2021, 03:38 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,038,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave79 View Post
The region is wonderful, but you'd better have money to live a decent lifestyle in the city proper. Most of the city has been heading in the wrong direction for about 20 years. More suburbs are becoming ghetto, clearcutting has degraded the natural tree canopy, homelessness has risen, and most of the public schools are subpar. The local government has been taken over by incompetent ghetto politicians and bureaucrats, and again, this was not the case until about 20 years ago.
You need to meet Sweetbottoms.

Old 09-28-2021, 05:27 PM

157 posts, read 105,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langerhans View Post
That's interesting. Can you cite your source?
"Piedmont Atlantic Megaregion"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piedmo...tic_megaregion
https://rosap.ntl.bts.gov/view/dot/3..._32568_DS1.pdf
http://www.dot.ga.gov/InvestSmart/Ra...troduction.pdf

Old 09-29-2021, 08:47 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times
Default The secret is out..

That's all fine and good info but I don't get what those links have to do in support of your earlier post that included the phrasing of "...catch up to Atlanta" and I seem to not be the only one here who doesn't understand what you meant by that line in your first post.

Old 09-29-2021, 09:22 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times
Default The setret is out..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24gf424g View Post
According to economists and developers, Charlotte and all along 85 to Atlanta are supposed to catch up with Atlanta.

I first bought in the Lake Norman area in 1993 and we are still getting bad elements out of the area and cleaning up derelict properties.

A moment ago I asked you what you were referring to in your first sentence.
And I have just taken a second look at the content of the 3 links you supplied in a 2nd post made in response to a question posed to you from another member.
It seems that the link contents all point to a rephrasing of your sentence in this way:

"According to economists and developers, Charlotte and all along 85 to Atlanta are supposed to CONNECT up with Atlanta."

Does that work out ok for you?

It seem to me that that is exactly what is going to happen along the I-85 corridor over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte