Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2021, 12:09 AM

116 posts, read 105,002 times

Advertisements

I like Eddie V's. Beyond that its very bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
Now obviously I say “best in the world” rather tongue and cheek as I haven’t lived everywhere, but overall I think there is legit reasoning for seeing it as being “just right” for several reasons.

As a native I’ve thought about reasons I like the area I was born into for a long time…here is what I’ve come up with.

- not too far from the beach…I love going to the beach but I don’t think I’d want to live there.
- not too far from the mountains…I love occasionally taking the relative short drive for a mountain vacation
- not too expensive
- winters aren’t that bad…I hate cold weather and don’t see how those living any further north do it.
- good amount of sports teams (Hornets/Panthers/MLS/Knights)
- plenty of small towns around for that more traditional southern experience
- geographically right in the middle for those that like to travel more extensively (ATL/FL/Northeast)
- most of the big city stuff without being too big

Not sure if any perfect places exist but NC/Charlotte seems to ‘just right’ if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2021, 12:13 AM

116 posts, read 105,002 times
Some of the poorest states are red states. I'm not sure why people like you think having a red politician makes things a utopia.

PS- I'm black and conservative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarkman View Post
I suggest you get out and visit other places in America. Charlotte, is way overrated in my opinion. Flat, and too crowded with way to much traffic in the continually growing areas around Charlotte.

The “greenways” at the current time are a joke, only a few miles. No easy access to any real wilderness areas, without a 2-3 hour drive. Expensive car insurance and housing.

Becoming yet ANOTHER liberal city in the great state of North Carolina.

It depends on what one is looking for but there are far better areas in this great nation.

Old 10-22-2021, 11:24 AM

570 posts, read 547,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMI View Post
The Charlotte region represents many compromises along different measurements... Such a "4 seasons without too much cold" or "urban without being so immense that you dread crossing it" etc.

But being content with a place matters with where you are in your life path too, how you really feel about making those 2-3 hour drives to attractions that Charlotte lacks.
Driving 2-3 hours to attractions probably means the beach or the mountains. The good thing is that 2-3 three hours is much better than the number of people that have to drive 12 to 18 hours to these resorts. Lots of people do.

Old 10-22-2021, 11:35 AM

One of the best places in the world to live is relative. I would rather live in Singapore, Barcelona, Venice, Nice, or Monaco but there are reasons I don't. Despite the wonderfulness of the aforementioned places, factors make Charlotte better for me. These factors may be significant or insignificant to others, but they are crucial factors for me. I can say that Charlotte is probably the best place in the world to live for lots of people, but it may not be their favorite place. In regards to the U.S., I can see Charlotte being on top. I am presently in Miami. I enjoy it here, but to live here is a step below Charlotte. JMHO.

Old 11-01-2021, 03:21 PM

334 posts, read 290,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister View Post
One of the best places in the world to live is relative. I would rather live in Singapore, Barcelona, Venice, Nice, or Monaco but there are reasons I don't. Despite the wonderfulness of the aforementioned places, factors make Charlotte better for me. These factors may be significant or insignificant to others, but they are crucial factors for me. I can say that Charlotte is probably the best place in the world to live for lots of people, but it may not be their favorite place. In regards to the U.S., I can see Charlotte being on top. I am presently in Miami. I enjoy it here, but to live here is a step below Charlotte. JMHO.

Well, Arty, Baby, I see that you have bailed out of your own weak argument. You don't live in Charlotte anymore. I don't think that you lived in New Orleans very long either except for Spring Break. I grew up there for 30 years .

Now you tell us that "...I would rather live in Singapore, Barcelona, Venice, Nice, or Monaco but there are reasons I don't. Despite the wonderfulness of the aforementioned places, factors make Charlotte better for me..."

This is too good. What did you like about Singapore, Barcelona, Venice, Nice, and Monaco ? I worked and lived in two of those five places and visited two for a month. Please remind me what makes them so attractive. Maybe post some photos.

But now you live in Miami?

PS You would have to be a millionaire in order to live permanently In Singapore, Venice, and Monaco. But you already know that from one Spring Break.

Ta Ta.

Old 11-06-2021, 12:11 PM

13 posts, read 22,032 times
Been here since 2006, fled the high taxes, high crime, horrible traffic, progressive politics, dirty streets etc. (just like you did)

Since 2006, too many people that moved from the horrible blue states and cities to NC and have now been successful in destroying what made this state great. They refuse to realized that they are the parasites that infected this area and are killing it. They flat out cannot comprehend why things turn to S*it and refuse to take responsibility.

I am now fleeing this state asap, have fun in NJ south. It will only get worse, taxes, crime, services, tolls, traffic. Keep voting for the same ticket and win valuable prizes.

Old 11-08-2021, 11:21 AM

Charlotte doesn't always seem that great. But, if you know and can compare with other U.S. cities of similar size, one would see that Charlotte is likely far nicer than most. It is cleaner, has very nice areas with excellent amenities, all ethnic restaurants, growing public transportation, all sports representation, and a very good performing arts and music scene. Although there are lots of shootings and killings, once you live here you will know where to avoid such savagery. I would say that Charlotte is likely in the 10 top percent,

Old 01-17-2022, 10:48 AM

4 posts, read 6,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
Now obviously I say “best in the world” rather tongue and cheek as I haven’t lived everywhere, but overall I think there is legit reasoning for seeing it as being “just right” for several reasons.

Unrestrained growth has killed the Golden Goose, unfortunately. The past decade of lack of planning, a shift towards woke politics, and a melting pot of folks streaming out of failed large urban areas has tainted what was a great place. People (everywhwere) tend to bring their politcal baggage with them -- so you should think long and hard about where the growth in Charlotte is coming from... and decide if it is just like what you might be wanting to leave behind.

Old 01-18-2022, 07:43 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,694,636 times
Default The secret is out..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traintrack View Post
Been here since 2006, fled the high taxes, high crime, horrible traffic, progressive politics, dirty streets etc. (just like you did)

Since 2006, too many people that moved from the horrible blue states and cities to NC and have now been successful in destroying what made this state great. They refuse to realized that they are the parasites that infected this area and are killing it. They flat out cannot comprehend why things turn to S*it and refuse to take responsibility.

I am now fleeing this state asap, have fun in NJ south. It will only get worse, taxes, crime, services, tolls, traffic. Keep voting for the same ticket and win valuable prizes.

I would suggest that your online member moniker here be changed over to "Trainwreck" from Traintrack given how you just turned this flow of this thread about Charlotte onto it's side by posting nearly all political content that is exhibit A for much of what ails this country; i.e. extreme partisanship that shouts at everyone else while castigating ("parasites" for example) anyone who perhaps has different political associations or viewpoints than yours.
A suggestion or 2 as to how to improve Charlotte or a mention of anything great about the city would be helpful.

Old 01-18-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Damn. Imagine thinking Charlotte is as good as it gets. With constant drive-bys killing babies, murders in uptown, beggars on all the major intersections leaving trash, high taxes, low educational standards… took our kiddo and left that behind. From the day we moved there until we left the greenways were a dangerous place and in the news a lot for mostly women getting sexually assaulted or killed on.

They can keep that dirty south “best”. Whatever that is. There are plenty of great cities and small towns outside of other cities that don’t have to go through the growing pains that Charlotte is going through.
Remember, Charlotte is not even in the fop 100 most violent ridden cities. So, if you find a place to live with less crime, you will be living in a much smaller place. This is the U.S. If you want safety, you won't find it here in cities of any size. You need to move to a homogenous country like Japan, Iceland. The northwest with is also safe from crime except from the woke, land of zombies around Portland, Seattle, etc. The more diverse, the more crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte