Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 09:44 AM

573 posts, read 548,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traintrack View Post
Been here since 2006, fled the high taxes, high crime, horrible traffic, progressive politics, dirty streets etc. (just like you did)

Since 2006, too many people that moved from the horrible blue states and cities to NC and have now been successful in destroying what made this state great. They refuse to realized that they are the parasites that infected this area and are killing it. They flat out cannot comprehend why things turn to S*it and refuse to take responsibility.

I am now fleeing this state asap, have fun in NJ south. It will only get worse, taxes, crime, services, tolls, traffic. Keep voting for the same ticket and win valuable prizes.
It isn't just what you are saying, but many people that moved here years ago from other states, especially in the north, agree that too many people from outside move here to get away from the things that destroyed their states, i.e., taxes, cost of living in general, crime, etc.

People are now moving here in droves to get away from the things that plagued while living there only to vote for and support liberal politicians that are hell bent on installing the same detrimental laws and values that they escaped. It is easy to see how it is hurting N.C. Politics in the city isn't about what is good for all citizens, it is what benefits certain groups and individuals. Many of the new outsiders have no loyalty or feelings for the area. I salute that person from another state that supports a local sports team or volunteers for some good local cause. They are the people we need. Unfortunately. The invasion can be good or bad. At this point, it is mostly bad. The elections of 2022 could make things a little better not only here but nationally. Sorry to see you go Traintrack. We could use your vote. I can't wait to see what responses I get for understanding you. The truth is, I have seen the measurement factors that makes Charlotte one of the best cities in the world to live. It is surprising, but considering the factors involved, makes perfect sense. There are certainly many places I would rather live, but I don't because I can't because of laws, customs, expenses, taxes, local health issues, earthquakes, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2022, 03:07 PM

11 posts, read 7,885 times
love Charlottee . My daughter lives there .

Old 01-28-2022, 12:21 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister View Post
People are now moving here in droves to get away from the things that plagued while living there only to vote for and support liberal politicians that are hell bent on installing the same detrimental laws and values that they escaped.
This is a common refrain and I have yet to see anyone mention an actual example of all these "detrimental laws and values" that these folks escaped that are supposedly being implemented in their new places of residence. It sounds like nothing more than a complaint about an increase in cost of living but that's mostly a function of pure supply and demand.

Old 01-29-2022, 12:21 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is a common refrain and I have yet to see anyone mention an actual example of all these "detrimental laws and values" that these folks escaped that are supposedly being implemented in their new places of residence. It sounds like nothing more than a complaint about an increase in cost of living but that's mostly a function of pure supply and demand.
Also, (pre-covid) Los Angeles & San Francisco haven’t lost populations, neither has California. If not the largest cities (due to no more room), at least their metropolitan areas have been growing. In some cases, I think some of the largest metropolitan areas or some of the most populated cities with slow growth rates have been adding more people than booming high-growth mid-sized metropolitan areas.

In many cases it seems people are claiming xyz city is dying because they’re fleeing to ABC city. But XYZ is still adding more people than ABC city….

Some people have wondered when Charlotte will close the gap with Atlanta since Charlotte is booming and growing faster than Atlanta, however, the gap has actually widened the past few decades because Atlanta has added more people than Charlotte (it just so Happens that increase is a smaller percent increase)

I’d be curious to see which of these “high tax, high crime, progressive cities” are losing population.

Old 01-30-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Also, (pre-covid) Los Angeles & San Francisco haven’t lost populations, neither has California. If not the largest cities (due to no more room), at least their metropolitan areas have been growing. In some cases, I think some of the largest metropolitan areas or some of the most populated cities with slow growth rates have been adding more people than booming high-growth mid-sized metropolitan areas.

One must consider what is moving to L.A. and San Francisco? smack: Hell, they are legalizing crime there. What parasite wouldn't want to head that way for that? They may still be gaining population, but tons of smarter citizens are moving out quickly to places like Idaho, Arizona and other states in the vicinity aren't happy. They are not on the same page politically or otherwise.

In many cases it seems people are claiming xyz city is dying because they’re fleeing to ABC city. But XYZ is still adding more people than ABC city….

Some people have wondered when Charlotte will close the gap with Atlanta since Charlotte is booming and growing faster than Atlanta, however, the gap has actually widened the past few decades because Atlanta has added more people than Charlotte (it just so Happens that increase is a smaller percent increase)

Apples and oranges. Atlanta has a metro of 6 million. Charlotte is 2.7 million. The gap may never close. I personally prefer quality than quantity. I never consider we were trying to catch up with Atlanta. Former big cities of the north and west are still growing mostly but the sunbelt is leaving others behind. That has both good and bad attributes.

I’d be curious to see which of these “high tax, high crime, progressive cities” are losing population.
Hope this helps:
Cities that are losing the most people or growing the slowest:

1. Detroit 2. St. Louis 3. Baltimore 4. Toledo 5. Cleveland 6. Buffalo 7. Pittsburgh 8. Long Beach, Ca.
9. Anchorage 10. Milwaukee 11. Chicago 12. Norfolk 13. Memphis 14. NYC 15. Honolulu

Cities with the most growth:

1. Irvine, Ca. 2. Henderson, Nv. 3. Seattle 4. Austin 5. Durham 6. Fort Worth 7. Gilbert, Az.
8. Charlotte 9. Denver 10. Atlanta 11. Orlando 12. Tampa 13. Scottsdale, Az. 14. Mesa, Az.
15. North Las Vegas.

Old 01-31-2022, 11:21 AM

334 posts, read 290,825 times
Arty,

Where did you get your figures? Yahoo News?

Old 01-31-2022, 11:45 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister View Post
One must consider what is moving to L.A. and San Francisco? smack: Hell, they are legalizing crime there. What parasite wouldn't want to head that way for that? They may still be gaining population, but tons of smarter citizens are moving out quickly to places like Idaho, Arizona and other states in the vicinity aren't happy. They are not on the same page politically or otherwise.
Immigrants are still moving to LA and San Francisco for sure. And in spite of its issues (and they are serious no doubt), California overall will always be desirable just for its climate. At some point, enough people will be leaving to make staying put look like a more attractive option than it used to, at least for those who would truly benefit by doing so.

Quote:
Hope this helps:
Cities that are losing the most people or growing the slowest:

1. Detroit 2. St. Louis 3. Baltimore 4. Toledo 5. Cleveland 6. Buffalo 7. Pittsburgh 8. Long Beach, Ca.
9. Anchorage 10. Milwaukee 11. Chicago 12. Norfolk 13. Memphis 14. NYC 15. Honolulu

Cities with the most growth:

1. Irvine, Ca. 2. Henderson, Nv. 3. Seattle 4. Austin 5. Durham 6. Fort Worth 7. Gilbert, Az.
8. Charlotte 9. Denver 10. Atlanta 11. Orlando 12. Tampa 13. Scottsdale, Az. 14. Mesa, Az.
15. North Las Vegas.
I wonder which set of cities is more expensive and experiencing rising costs of living. Growth brings its own set of challenges that a lot of people mistake for "newcomers voting for the same failed policies that ruined their former homes."

Norfolk's slow growth is a bit of a head-scratcher but it's got the geographical advantage of the high-growth cities but the COL advantage of the low-growth cities.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:17 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Immigrants are still moving to LA and San Francisco for sure. And in spite of its issues (and they are serious no doubt), California overall will always be desirable just for its climate. At some point, enough people will be leaving to make staying put look like a more attractive option than it used to, at least for those who would truly benefit by doing so.

I wonder which set of cities is more expensive and experiencing rising costs of living. Growth brings its own set of challenges that a lot of people mistake for "newcomers voting for the same failed policies that ruined their former homes."

Norfolk's slow growth is a bit of a head-scratcher but it's got the geographical advantage of the high-growth cities but the COL advantage of the low-growth cities.
A word on Norfolk as someone who grew up around there. The wage scale (for civilian non-military affiliated workers) is one of the most depressed in the country. That wasn’t such a major issue in the early 2000s until housing prices skyrocketed. Now it has one of the worst wages to housing cost balances in the country. Beyond that the amenities are absolutely mediocre and there isn’t much to attract outsiders.

Old 02-01-2022, 07:15 AM

Quote:

I agree with you about California. It has everything which, unfortunately for residents include rotten law enforcement, insane taxes and rents, and an overabundance of woke people. I used to live in Santa Barbara, and nobody moves from there or most adjacent areas due to weather or geographical features except maybe the fires and mudslides.

I believe that in the two list, the top were the former expensive cities now becoming cheaper and the bottom list are the cities that were cheaper that are becoming more expensive.

When I think of the wonderful things about California, I think of the geographical offerings, i.e., mountains, ocean, deserts, Yosemite, etc., not the people that I found to be overly represented with shallowness, intolerance (wokeness), and for some reason, superiority complexes. Must be Hollywood? There are a hell of lot more in that category than you will find in the racist category around these parts. I will admit that there are many great people there, but they seem to be losing ground to be bad guys.

Old 02-01-2022, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
A word on Norfolk as someone who grew up around there. The wage scale (for civilian non-military affiliated workers) is one of the most depressed in the country. That wasn’t such a major issue in the early 2000s until housing prices skyrocketed. Now it has one of the worst wages to housing cost balances in the country. Beyond that the amenities are absolutely mediocre and there isn’t much to attract outsiders.
Is that because the navy monopolizes the economy so much in that area? That would make sense. What surprises me is the crime rate being so high. Is it becoming a little Detroit? Detroit was once dominated and prospered due to the automobile industries. America and unionism lost the car battle with Asia in the late 60s onward, and the industry there degraded. It seems like Norfolk is highly dominated by the navy like Detroit was with the auto industry. Am I close?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte