Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2008, 06:49 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,653,855 times

Advertisements

I'm sure most of us already knew this, but it feels good when someone agrees:

Charlotte-Named-Best-Place-to-Live: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 07:17 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Ok......I guess! But, it is just another one of those "Best Places To Live" type articles. There ARE other places to live that are as good if no better than Charlotte.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:09 AM

249 posts, read 874,751 times
Sorry but this article lost me at...

"The city's strong economy, boosted largely by the banking industry, was another selling point."

Um, not the best time for the banking industry... not in charlotte or anywhere else in the country. Seems to me they pretty much looked at the growth rate as the primary indicator. Did they take into account how difficult it can be to find a job here because of that growth??

Sorry, not saying anything bad about charlotte, but it seems like they used the wrong facts to base an article on.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:46 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Charlotte View Post
Sorry but this article lost me at...

"The city's strong economy, boosted largely by the banking industry, was another selling point."

Um, not the best time for the banking industry... not in charlotte or anywhere else in the country. Seems to me they pretty much looked at the growth rate as the primary indicator. Did they take into account how difficult it can be to find a job here because of that growth??

Sorry, not saying anything bad about charlotte, but it seems like they used the wrong facts to base an article on.
At this point, Charlotte is still probably one of the stronger economies. I appears that the job market is really slow, but there are thousands of people here looking for jobs. The job market has been saturated with job seekers from outside the charlotte area. Despite banking problems now, it is only temporary and the economy is still very strong comparitively. A few months down the road will paint the true picture. But for the newcomer, all he/she needs to do is drive around and see the incredible amount of construction going on and the indication is there that something is healthy.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:47 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
I'm sure most of us already knew this, but it feels good when someone agrees:

Charlotte-Named-Best-Place-to-Live: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
Charlotte was also voted number eight best city in USA Today Magazine. This was based on different criteria I believe. Nevertheless, Charlotte is up there

Old 05-16-2008, 03:23 PM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Tell this to the thousands of people who are still out of work!!!!!!!!!!! Seeing buildings going up right now isn't getting hired for a job and getting a paycheck!!!
So, we have a problem with too many people moving into the Charlotte area, right? A solution for that???????

Old 05-16-2008, 03:37 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,807,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Tell this to the thousands of people who are still out of work!!!!!!!!!!! Seeing buildings going up right now isn't getting hired for a job and getting a paycheck!!!
So, we have a problem with too many people moving into the Charlotte area, right? A solution for that???????
You've answered your own question.
When people stop getting jobs, they'll move-on......it's self-correcting.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:29 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,871,066 times
I believe that this is the beginning of a new phase for Charlotte. With the newer, educated workforce, will come jobs eventually. Companies see Charlotte as what it is - a fast growing, progressive city with a great business climate.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:22 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
I believe that this is the beginning of a new phase for Charlotte. With the newer, educated workforce, will come jobs eventually. Companies see Charlotte as what it is - a fast growing, progressive city with a great business climate.
PLENTY of companies have already discovered that! We've had many companies relocate their headquarters here even. We don't need jobs to "eventually" come here, there are many already here. There are just too many qualified applicants for all the jobs available so not everyone will find a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: