Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 06:42 PM

16 posts, read 158,923 times

Advertisements

I plan to buy a new inventory home but the center of the backyard there has a storm water easement that runs from right to left center and drains of the underground hole outside that yard's left side.
The water easement is actually 2 neighboring home plots length only. But I am worried that I have to either construct a French drain with underground pipe but not sure how much it will cost or risk flooding of the backyard during moderate rain. Should i be worried about the fix up cost and also the resale value because of having a storm water easement in the backyard ?

Thanks in advance for your expert opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 06:50 PM

210 posts, read 748,994 times
I think it could very well hurt in resale.

Have you done all the research?

Is it sitting in a flood plain? There has to be a reason this easement was needed. Does the city or county or hoa have a right to your property to come in and dig it up if need be for repairs and replacements and maintenance?

Many times they do not have to pay or fix it after working on it. I would think twice about this property, with so much on the market, you should not take the risk.

Also, you should know that you probably can not put a permanent structure on this easement. That means no fence, no playground, no pool, no nothing, as again, the city, county or hoa may have the rights to come in and tear it down and not replace it.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:03 PM

143 posts, read 537,708 times
I'm closing on a house that has an easement along the backyard. You can still build in your backyard but you would have to leave a few feet between the structure/fence and easement. It didn't hamper my decision The one in my backyard is pretty much a creek, doesn't bother me.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:38 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,983,129 times
Listen to that lil voice inside your head. I think you hear it talking to you. There are plenty of homes out there. You will know the right one when you see it.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:39 PM

16 posts, read 158,923 times
Thanks for the information. This house and the full sub division is not in the flood plain according to the seller agent.
She told me that I cannot have a pool in there.
Since it is in the center of the yard, I can however have a fence according to her in the whole back yard.
I need to confirm about other restrictions like setting up playground etc...

I am not sure about the HOA rights on this back yard because of this easement. I should specifically ask about that. It looks like a 1 to 2 feet wide easement.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:46 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycharlotte2005 View Post
I plan to buy a new inventory home but the center of the backyard there has a storm water easement that runs from right to left center and drains of the underground hole outside that yard's left side.
The water easement is actually 2 neighboring home plots length only. But I am worried that I have to either construct a French drain with underground pipe but not sure how much it will cost or risk flooding of the backyard during moderate rain. Should i be worried about the fix up cost and also the resale value because of having a storm water easement in the backyard ?

Thanks in advance for your expert opinions!
Go to the local library & find plat maps. Check to see what was there before the development. If there was a finger of a creek there, you could hava a huge problem when it rains. There was a similar easement near my parents house & during heavy rains the old creek bed came back to life, all the way through the middle of my parents yard. There was no sign of it except in heavy rains,

Old 05-21-2008, 08:24 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Listen to that lil voice inside your head. I think you hear it talking to you. There are plenty of homes out there. You will know the right one when you see it.
I agree w/ Doorway's statement. We have been in a drought. I would want to see what happens when we get 2 in of rain in an hour, or three days of steady rain . . . rain water run-off is a big problem in many areas . . .

Old 05-21-2008, 08:56 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,059,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycharlotte2005 View Post
Thanks for the information. This house and the full sub division is not in the flood plain according to the seller agent.
She told me that I cannot have a pool in there.
Since it is in the center of the yard, I can however have a fence according to her in the whole back yard.
I need to confirm about other restrictions like setting up playground etc...

I am not sure about the HOA rights on this back yard because of this easement. I should specifically ask about that. It looks like a 1 to 2 feet wide easement.
Important! Don't take the seller's agent's word on anything. They don't work for you. They want the sale.

Do your homework and go with your gut. It's a buyer's market right now. You don't have to settle.

Good Luck!

Old 05-21-2008, 09:01 AM

143 posts, read 537,708 times
Ugh, now I'm getting paranoid about buying a house with an easement along the backyard

Old 05-21-2008, 09:09 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kja25 View Post
Ugh, now I'm getting paranoid about buying a house with an easement along the backyard
I have a creek at the back of my property, also w/ an easement. I love my creek!

In fact, this is my third house w/ a creek at the back. One of the reasons I chose each home was to have a creek in the back. I enjoyed landscaping the area and the kids all enjoyed playing in the creeks. So for me, having a creek is a PLUS. If your new home has a creek at the back, that is not a cause for alarm. Just be cautious about the flood plane that might be associated w/ the creek. My lot is long and narrow and the creek is 5 ft. deep so it does not overflow - it only gets prettier w/ rain. However, if your creek is shallow and in a low flood plane, then you might want to give it further consideration. Sounds like you have checked it out and know what you are dealing with.

My concern for Jay is that this easement (if I understood correctly) is smack dab in the center of his backyard. If it were along the line at the back, even that would not concern me as much as it being right in his back yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte