Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:50 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,407,323 times

Advertisements

I'm seconding why you stayed here for 7 years if you were so miserable?

Sounds like trolling to me

Old 05-25-2008, 08:52 AM

414 posts, read 1,277,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marblmom View Post
If you've been here 7 years and still have no friends and no fun, then maybe the problem isn't Charlotte? Just a thought.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:53 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Jake and Weedy - okay - I was not being totally accurate. I love Bojangles but I tend to pig out on their DELICIOUS biscuits, dirty rice, crispy fried chicken breast . . . and so . . .I do not allow myself to eat it . . . except when I go to Boone. I actually happen to like it a lot . . .those biscuits like me, too, as they hang around on body parts after consumption!!!!

Old 05-25-2008, 09:08 AM

414 posts, read 1,277,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-J View Post
My family and I have lived here for about 7 yrs. Originally from Chicago.
Our experience with Charlotte has not been great at all. Good Lord willing we will move this summer after end of school year.

Overall, way tooooo hot in summer. For about 3 mos it's so hot, I can't even enjoy my deck. Wish we had more of the 4 seasons, it is what it is. I know I may sound crazy, but I actually miss a blanket of snow.

People way too judgmental.

Neighbors are, well, let's say, not neighborly. I remember in Chicago how everyone knew each other and it was not unusual for neighbors to just have cold one after work on or the weekends when working on lawns. They acually talked back!!! Here, everyone just kind of keeps to themselves.

Lack of European influence, stores, etc. When we hung out, there were Germans, Polish, Romanian, Italian, etc and it was great! Great food and stores, but here, if it ain't fried or it's different, we ain't gonna touch it.
I think people would probably starve without Bojangles fried chicken and BBQ.

Schools are not that great, let's face it. South Charlotte, yes, if you have $. Otherwise, forget it.

This is my favorite - No freakin' culture - art? science? history? Museums of anything that is worthwile? Please!

Not that much too do - if you have a boat, you may go on the lake. Yes, you have mountains and beach, but that is on occasion. We're talking several hrs drive, but if I just want something to do besides movies, what?
Parks? Of course not. Yes you may have a decent one that (in my case) it's an hour drive away.

Southern hospitality - it basically means, come and visit and spend your money, but be sure to leave. If you decide to live here we ain't talkin' to you because you're different

My biggest regret is that I did not move after a year or so and actually tried to make something of it.
Maybe the problem is YOU. I've lived here a decade and have found the city to be outstanding, with the great attitude of the people being the main reason. I'm assuming you live in a crappy neighborhood or perhaps a cave, because I find EVERYONE of your statements to be ridiculously inaccurate.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:10 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-J View Post
My family and I have lived here for about 7 yrs. Originally from Chicago.
Our experience with Charlotte has not been great at all. Good Lord willing we will move this summer after end of school year.

Overall, way tooooo hot in summer. For about 3 mos it's so hot, I can't even enjoy my deck. Wish we had more of the 4 seasons, it is what it is. I know I may sound crazy, but I actually miss a blanket of snow.

People way too judgmental.

Neighbors are, well, let's say, not neighborly. I remember in Chicago how everyone knew each other and it was not unusual for neighbors to just have cold one after work on or the weekends when working on lawns. They acually talked back!!! Here, everyone just kind of keeps to themselves.

Lack of European influence, stores, etc. When we hung out, there were Germans, Polish, Romanian, Italian, etc and it was great! Great food and stores, but here, if it ain't fried or it's different, we ain't gonna touch it.
I think people would probably starve without Bojangles fried chicken and BBQ.

Schools are not that great, let's face it. South Charlotte, yes, if you have $. Otherwise, forget it.

This is my favorite - No freakin' culture - art? science? history? Museums of anything that is worthwile? Please!

Not that much too do - if you have a boat, you may go on the lake. Yes, you have mountains and beach, but that is on occasion. We're talking several hrs drive, but if I just want something to do besides movies, what?
Parks? Of course not. Yes you may have a decent one that (in my case) it's an hour drive away.

Southern hospitality - it basically means, come and visit and spend your money, but be sure to leave. If you decide to live here we ain't talkin' to you because you're different

My biggest regret is that I did not move after a year or so and actually tried to make something of it.
I haven't made the move yet, & plan to be there ASAP, but somehow I can't help but see some flaws in your complaints. A lot of moving to another area is what you make of it. My family moved to South Jersey in 1964 & I'm still a transplant, because my childhood was spent in southwestern lower Michigan.

You make frriends with people one at a time, not one block at a time. You exchange information with people, one at a time. Southern people are just as open as anyone else, if you're open to them. I had a wonderful friend from Rome, Georgia & we would still be great friends if she hadn't died. I've had more than one friend from the south, but the one I single out was my best friend until she died.

If you don't like southern food, go to chain restaurants. Problem solved.

There's plenty of history in the Charlotte area. I know people who say the same around where I live now. They haven't made the effort to go 10 miles to Independence Hall & the historic area of Philadelphia.

You listed your complaints, but didn't give a single way that you have attempted to fix the problems.

Maybe the difference in my attitude us that I was brought up that Midwesterners & Southerners are a lot alike & my favorite aunt came from Texas.

Good luck wherever you go.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:43 AM

622 posts, read 1,782,249 times
Could it be that being a loan officer in today's market instigated your feeling of unhappiness?

Old 05-25-2008, 10:42 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,373,429 times
we have been here a year now...Could never imagine going back to NJ and WINTER YUK...that is insane....Love the weather here..the ONLY thing I do agree with is the Friends issue we have made some nice ones however people tend to be clicky however it seems to be everywhere....the Weather now your talkin and OMG THE SWEET TEA...Umm definitely love the South

Old 05-25-2008, 11:03 AM

422 posts, read 1,365,972 times
OH LORD!!!!!! Another one of these whining, I dont like Charlotte threads.......

What kind of response are you looking for when you write this? I dont get it?!?

Maybe there should be a WHINING forum for all the negative Nellys, and then the positive happy people would know to stay away.

And like everyone else said- It took you 7 years to figure out that Charlotte wasnt for you? Were you being forced to live here all that time? Did Chicago shut its doors to whiners or something????

Okay now- off to Chicago you go...... dont let the door hit you in the butt on the way out!!!!

Old 05-25-2008, 11:17 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,893,114 times
E-J - you should be spending your energy trying to find a way out of Charlotte instead of posting at CD how unhappy you are. I never understood people who are unhappy about where they are yet are not lifting a pinky to remedy the situation. Then there is the other group of people who after they have left continue bashing where they came from. If you managed to leave, then give it a rest already.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:27 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
E-J - you should be spending your energy trying to find a way out of Charlotte instead of posting at CD how unhappy you are. I never understood people who are unhappy about where they are yet are not lifting a pinky to remedy the situation. Then there is the other group of people who after they have left continue bashing where they came from. If you managed to leave, then give it a rest already.
You know . . . OP did not ask for a solution. We were left w/ a list of complaints and the OP's desire to move back to CHI.

What was the intention for posting????

Last edited by brokensky; 05-25-2008 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: edit - bad syntax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte