U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2008, 08:08 AM
E-J E-J started this thread

2 posts, read 3,230 times

Advertisements

My family and I have lived here for about 7 yrs. Originally from Chicago.
Our experience with Charlotte has not been great at all. Good Lord willing we will move this summer after end of school year.

Overall, way tooooo hot in summer. For about 3 mos it's so hot, I can't even enjoy my deck. Wish we had more of the 4 seasons, it is what it is. I know I may sound crazy, but I actually miss a blanket of snow.

People way too judgmental.

Neighbors are, well, let's say, not neighborly. I remember in Chicago how everyone knew each other and it was not unusual for neighbors to just have cold one after work on or the weekends when working on lawns. They acually talked back!!! Here, everyone just kind of keeps to themselves.

Lack of European influence, stores, etc. When we hung out, there were Germans, Polish, Romanian, Italian, etc and it was great! Great food and stores, but here, if it ain't fried or it's different, we ain't gonna touch it.
I think people would probably starve without Bojangles fried chicken and BBQ.

Schools are not that great, let's face it. South Charlotte, yes, if you have $. Otherwise, forget it.

This is my favorite - No freakin' culture - art? science? history? Museums of anything that is worthwile? Please!

Not that much too do - if you have a boat, you may go on the lake. Yes, you have mountains and beach, but that is on occasion. We're talking several hrs drive, but if I just want something to do besides movies, what?
Parks? Of course not. Yes you may have a decent one that (in my case) it's an hour drive away.

Southern hospitality - it basically means, come and visit and spend your money, but be sure to leave. If you decide to live here we ain't talkin' to you because you're different

My biggest regret is that I did not move after a year or so and actually tried to make something of it.
Rate this post positively

Old 05-25-2008, 08:13 AM

4,729 posts, read 18,695,540 times
There are plenty of museums and arts in Charlotte. Yeah, it isn't a major metropolis like Chicago, but there's always something to do around here. The heat, well in Detroit where I once lived it's just as bad if not worse during the summer. I also lived in WNY (and that's where I'm at right now visiting) and I'll take Charlotte any day over both of those. We do usually get a blanket of snow or two here and if you really wanna see it so bad it's not too far away. My neighbors are somewaht like whatt you say, but guess what? They're all from up north, so it's them and not Charlotte.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:27 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,083,944 times
Thankgoodness you don't live in Southeast Florida like me. There's even less of all of the above HERE! LMAO

P.S.
I don't live in CLT, but we are looking to relocate there.

Last edited by AJ1972; 05-25-2008 at 08:59 AM..

Old 05-25-2008, 08:32 AM

513 posts, read 2,028,315 times
If you've been here 7 years and still have no friends and no fun, then maybe the problem isn't Charlotte? Just a thought.

And by the way, I've lived here for over 10 years and have never had Bojangles.

Last edited by marblmom; 05-25-2008 at 08:45 AM..

Old 05-25-2008, 08:33 AM

7,126 posts, read 10,958,171 times
What made you stay 6 years longer than you wanted to? What impressions did you have of the weather in the South before you moved to CLT?And, finally, what purpose does it serve for a moan post after spending 7 years here and admit you shoulda,woulda, coulda, moved after 6yrs.

Believe me, I mean NO offense or disrespect it is just my inquiring mind that makes me want to respond.
J

Old 05-25-2008, 08:36 AM

35,881 posts, read 73,141,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-J View Post
My family and I have lived here for about 7 yrs. Originally from Chicago.
Our experience with Charlotte has not been great at all. Good Lord willing we will move this summer after end of school year.

Overall, way tooooo hot in summer. For about 3 mos it's so hot, I can't even enjoy my deck. Wish we had more of the 4 seasons, it is what it is. I know I may sound crazy, but I actually miss a blanket of snow.

People way too judgmental.

Neighbors are, well, let's say, not neighborly. I remember in Chicago how everyone knew each other and it was not unusual for neighbors to just have cold one after work on or the weekends when working on lawns. They acually talked back!!! Here, everyone just kind of keeps to themselves.

Lack of European influence, stores, etc. When we hung out, there were Germans, Polish, Romanian, Italian, etc and it was great! Great food and stores, but here, if it ain't fried or it's different, we ain't gonna touch it.
I think people would probably starve without Bojangles fried chicken and BBQ.

Schools are not that great, let's face it. South Charlotte, yes, if you have $. Otherwise, forget it.

This is my favorite - No freakin' culture - art? science? history? Museums of anything that is worthwile? Please!

Not that much too do - if you have a boat, you may go on the lake. Yes, you have mountains and beach, but that is on occasion. We're talking several hrs drive, but if I just want something to do besides movies, what?
Parks? Of course not. Yes you may have a decent one that (in my case) it's an hour drive away.

Southern hospitality - it basically means, come and visit and spend your money, but be sure to leave. If you decide to live here we ain't talkin' to you because you're different

My biggest regret is that I did not move after a year or so and actually tried to make something of it.
This is the South. It is not CHI, nor the midwest. CHI is a major metropolitan area, one of the largest in the USA. Comparing CHI to any other region is plain goofy. CHI is singular. You can't even compare it to Dallas, LA, NYC, ATL.

I don't know where you live, as you did not state that . . . but I grew up here and the area you describe is not even close to what my experience has been here. I have never eaten at Bojangles except when out of town and needed to grab fast food. I have not had fried chicken in two years. I was not raised on it, either. So the stereotype is pretty silly for someone who has lived here 7 years. If all you eat is fast food, then I am sure wherever you live in the CLT area, you have plenty of other fast food restaurants to choose from.

If you moved here w/ a job, well . . . we don't always get to choose where we find ideal employment. Sounds like you have not tried to adjust here if you are still comparing CLT to CHI.

Of course we don't have the Field or Art Institute or Navy pier or Grant Park here. You knew you were leaving those things behind when you moved here.

I have been in CHI in July when it was so hot I thought I would pass out on Michigan Ave. I have also been there in blizzards. I can't believe weather is that much of a "bad deal" for you here.

As far as people being "way too judgmental," that seems very contradictory to your statement that your neighbors are not friendly. How can you feel people are judgmental if you don't socialize w/ anyone? How would you know what they think? And have you complained for seven years about being here?

You should move back to CHI b/c you obviously don't like living here. If you came thinking you would replicate "little CHI" here, you should have done some homework. This is the South. I suspect many Southerners would not be thrilled w/ the hustle and bustle and industrial feel of CHI. And let's add traffic and long commutes from burbs back to the city. Plus shoveling snow.

I happen to really like CHI and would be just fine living there. I loved Kansas City. You have to find the good in whatever area you move to. I could have whined daily that I didn't have mountains or coast lines when I lived in KCMO. But I figured out other things to enjoy. I sure didn't sit around and whine that I couldn't find good pork so I could make pork BBQ when I lived there . . . didn't complain that the only big lake was 4.5 hours away . . . didn't focus on the fact that summers were hotter than blue blazes . . . didn't get upset that I got ribbed about "having an accent."

You gotta put down roots wherever you are . . . and blossom. Sounds like you moved here and have been angry about it since Day One. Time to either figure out how to find some enjoyment here . . . or relocate. IF CHI is your idea of Utopia . . . then you need to buy a snowblower, save up your dollars for your long commute, higher taxes and more expensive (but smaller) home . . . and head on back.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:40 AM

755 posts, read 2,383,900 times
Ani, what's the matter with you?

Bojangles is awesome!

Old 05-25-2008, 08:40 AM

452 posts, read 1,284,129 times
Your Wacked dude!!!! Chicago is nice but you got to be kidding me if you enjoy having those crazy winters in chicago.....GEEEZ

Old 05-25-2008, 08:47 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,490,186 times
Not sure what the compalining will do for you, but I guess it bolsters one of my favorite sayings "If you don't like it here, or like the way we do things, then go back where you came from"

It baffles me about how someone can live 7 years of their life of somewhere they aren't happy!! Life it too short.

I moved from Long Island 18 years ago as a teenager and now that I'm starting a family, and a homeowner I am glad that my parents made the decsion to move to "God's Country". I don't have to deal with the cold winters, higher taxes and everything else my old schoolmates are dealing with.

Jake

SIDE NOTE FOR ANI -- Try the Dirty Rice, you won't be sorry!

Old 05-25-2008, 08:47 AM

7,126 posts, read 10,958,171 times
When you move back to CHI you'll probably join the City Data board there and will be reading about how you miss the 55 degree weather in Jan/CLT while you're having a 18" snow storm in CHI.Before you lv. give us your new screen name so we can have some fun next winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte