U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:50 AM
ADR ADR started this thread

171 posts, read 486,328 times

Advertisements

I need help-any Grand Ma's who can sew and wants to make a few extra bucks? I swear we are going broke paying for alterations for my daughter. She is 6 years old but a big 6. She is tall and a little overweight. To get shirts that fit her, the sleeves and legs are always way too long. I took 8 shirts in Saturday that only cost $7-$8 a piece. They were just summer tees. The lady charged $8 a piece to hem the bottomes of them. So I paid more for hemming than what the shirts were worth. I checked another place down the road and they wanted $10 a piece. I told my wife she needs to get her butt in a class and learn how to sew. We could buy a sewing machine for what 1 trip to the seamstress cost.

With what gas cost and our income, I can not keep paying this much but I can't let my baby girl look like a rag-a-muffin in school either

We are in Indian Trail, but heck, I'll drive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 07:54 AM

382 posts, read 1,816,284 times
I just finished taking a sewing class. Maybe you should consider getting a machine and taking a class. My class was at Creative Sewing & Vaccums at Stonecrest.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpocketbooks View Post
I just finished taking a sewing class. Maybe you should consider getting a machine and taking a class. My class was at Creative Sewing & Vaccums at Stonecrest.
very interesting. Was the class expensive? How long a class is it?

Old 05-27-2008, 08:18 AM

35,881 posts, read 72,338,548 times
I started sewing at 10, and at 11, my parents got me an old sewing machine for Christmas. Best present ever!!! Sewing is easy . . . if you can pull a piece of fabric, you can sew - at least - you can do simple alterations, like hemming sleeves and shortening pants, T-shirts, etc.

A few sessions at a sewing machine sales center and anyone can do simple sewing. My son's g/f decided to start sewing to do her own alterations and she is now making tote bags and purses to sell. She took a few lessons to figure it out and off she went . . . simple sewing is no biggie. Just takes the desire to do it. Most people get intimidated b/c they can't fathom doing the more intricate stuff - insetting sleeves, for example. But that is not what you and/or your wife want to do . . . so run over to a sewing center and ask some questions . . . and I think you will be surprised how easy it is to make your own simple changes to your DD's clothing.

BTW - I taught my son how to sew - enuff so he can do a hem or stitch up a torn seam. Anybody can learn to sew!!!! NOT HARD!!!! Go for it!!!

Old 05-27-2008, 08:52 AM

6,776 posts, read 12,807,444 times
I got a great sewing Machine at the Thrift Store. A White! For $20.00. I'd look there first if you don't want to invest a lot of money into a Sewing Machine. Value Villages (local thrift chain) are great.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:00 AM

197 posts, read 640,766 times
You guys are encouraging me to take my sewing machine out of the storage, I had barelly used it in 3 years, I allways accumulate all my "sewing needs" and wait untill my mom comes visit me (once or twice a year)...shame of me!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:31 AM

6,776 posts, read 12,807,444 times
Oh! And if you do buy one from a Thrift make sure it has a manual. Unless it's a Singer, you can order a manual for ANY Singer sewing machine from Singer for pretty cheap. Even the really, really, old ones.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:22 AM

5,978 posts, read 18,776,055 times
ADT - first of all, I have to commend you for thinking of your little girl's feelings and wish more parents are as understanding and thoughtful as you are. That being said, if you or your wife decide to take sewing lessons, why stop at T-shirt or jean hems? There are many very simple sundress patterns available to sew. I am sure that your and daughter and whoever ends up the sewer in your family would enjoy the simple projects available out there. You would not have to put up as much anymore with standard sizing that would have to be altered, and your daughter would have the benefit of original and better fitting creations!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:24 AM

35,881 posts, read 72,338,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
ADT - first of all, I have to commend you for thinking of your little girl's feelings and wish more parents are as understanding and thoughtful as you are. That being said, if you or your wife decide to take sewing lessons, why stop at T-shirt or jean hems? There are many very simple sundress patterns available to sew. I am sure that your and daughter and whoever ends up the sewer in your family would enjoy the simple projects available out there. You would not have to put up as much anymore with standard sizing that would have to be altered, and your daughter would have the benefit of original and better fitting creations!
Bibit is so on target here . . . plus, you can totally customize colors and then get creative and add all sorts of trims for a truly unique look. Cute tops, easy "yoga" pants . . . there are so many options out there . . . I was making my own clothes by 13, and helped make them earlier than that. It can be great fun and a creative outlet. You can take it as far as you want to take it!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Thanks. I want her to be confident and be able to dress and look like the other kids regardless of her being a different size. She is so beautiful and is my princess.

Thanks to all for the nice advice. Looks like I'll be researching lessons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>