Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 02:36 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,654,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister2 View Post
I agree with both of you. I assume that anyone smart enough to write on this message board (haha) is smart enough to understand that we are a big city (not N.Y. or Chicago big but big) and it isn't possible to live in a big city that doesn't suffer crime issues.

The fact that Charlotte is something like 16th largest city in the U.S. and is rated number 59 for violent crime numbers says a lot. By American standards, we suffer less violent crime than most cities anywhere close to in population. I also assume that anyone interested in moving to any city realizes that all cities have good and bad sections, even the best of cities. Sweetbottoms, I do wonder if you did your research before moving to Steele Creek. You obviously suffered the consequences of not doing so.
To add to what you wrote, most of the Northeast & Mid Atlantic is low in crime: I lived on Long Island, in Jersey, and in two of the five boroughs that make up NYC; you don't have signs saying: "keep your valuables out of sight" in parks; "lock your car doors," etc. Yes...if you're in Manhattan, or in many parts of Queens or Brooklyn, you will experience crime. But in many areas, these issues don't exist - so the perception of newcomers (to CLT) is one of surprise.

By appearances, Steele Creek looks like a nice area, therefore the expectation of newcomers is one of surprise, when they experience, or read about, criminal activity.

Had Sweetbottoms relocated to a different part of Charlotte, she likely would be slagging Steele Creek, as opposed to the City as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Yes, but where? Has Lansdowne, Piper Glen, Blakeney, Carmel, etc., seen exponential increases in crime?

In other words, high crime areas in NC have gotten worse, but does this speak to the nicer areas within the State?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2022, 06:51 AM

447 posts, read 374,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
To add to what you wrote, most of the Northeast & Mid Atlantic is low in crime: I lived on Long Island, in Jersey, and in two of the five boroughs that make up NYC; you don't have signs saying: "keep your valuables out of sight" in parks; "lock your car doors," etc. Yes...if you're in Manhattan, or in many parts of Queens or Brooklyn, you will experience crime. But in many areas, these issues don't exist - so the perception of newcomers (to CLT) is one of surprise.

By appearances, Steele Creek looks like a nice area, therefore the expectation of newcomers is one of surprise, when they experience, or read about, criminal activity.

Had Sweetbottoms relocated to a different part of Charlotte, she likely would be slagging Steele Creek, as opposed to the City as a whole.

Yes, but where? Has Lansdowne, Piper Glen, Blakeney, Carmel, etc., seen exponential increases in crime?

In other words, high crime areas in NC have gotten worse, but does this speak to the nicer areas within the State?
You are right. Although it is taboo to be factual and indiscriminate in a non-open, over sensitive society, it would be advantageous to not be labeled as a racist for admitting openly and honestly that excessively high crime rates are directly related to race. In the mid-Atlantic area, Maryland (Baltimore), Delaware, and D.C. have seriously high crime rates. States like S.C., Missouri (St. Louis), Tennessee (Memphis). Juliani did miracles with NYC. It had become a safe, friendly place during his administration. Now, it is back to the old days of filth, crime, and unfriendliness. It is no longer the main destination as it was. It was nice to see that the number one city destination of New Yorkers planning to leave the state was Charlotte. I like having newcomers if they accept the changes they face and don't vote idiots into political offices to raise taxes and waste money.

I live 18 miles from the center of Charlotte. I feel totally safe walking home from my favorite watering holes on the occasions I go. I feel safe walking around South end, South Park, Dilworth, Elizabeth, and such places, but I make it a point to be aware. Sometimes weird, not so nice outsiders wander into the areas looking for mischief. That would concern me if I were a woman that couldn't fight like a man (or a bad ass women that works out a lot. I lived in North Boston and felt at the same level of security. North Boston is the very safe part. When living in the Financial District (Hudson St.) in Manhattan several years ago, it was fairly safe but there were always potential issues in the area.

Crime areas have grown along with general population growth. It seems that with the growth going on, the loss of control of our court systems, degrading of our police forces, and the diminishing sense of watching out for each other fading away, it is worsening in many areas.

Sweetbottoms, I'm sure you're happy now in your new location. I wish that you had asked me or NDL for advise before moving to Steele Creek.

Old 10-27-2022, 07:29 AM
NDL

Quote:
You are right. Although it is taboo to be factual and indiscriminate in a non-open, over sensitive society, it would be advantageous to not be labeled as a racist for admitting openly and honestly that excessively high crime rates are directly related to race. In the mid-Atlantic area, Maryland (Baltimore), Delaware, and D.C. have seriously high crime rates. States like S.C., Missouri (St. Louis), Tennessee (Memphis). Juliani did miracles with NYC. It had become a safe, friendly place during his administration. Now, it is back to the old days of filth, crime, and unfriendliness. It is no longer the main destination as it was. It was nice to see that the number one city destination of New Yorkers planning to leave the state was Charlotte. I like having newcomers if they accept the changes they face and don't vote idiots into political offices to raise taxes and waste money.

I live 18 miles from the center of Charlotte. I feel totally safe walking home from my favorite watering holes on the occasions I go. I feel safe walking around South end, South Park, Dilworth, Elizabeth, and such places, but I make it a point to be aware. Sometimes weird, not so nice outsiders wander into the areas looking for mischief. That would concern me if I were a woman that couldn't fight like a man (or a bad ass women that works out a lot. I lived in North Boston and felt at the same level of security. North Boston is the very safe part. When living in the Financial District (Hudson St.) in Manhattan several years ago, it was fairly safe but there were always potential issues in the area.

Crime areas have grown along with general population growth. It seems that with the growth going on, the loss of control of our court systems, degrading of our police forces, and the diminishing sense of watching out for each other fading away, it is worsening in many areas.

Sweetbottoms, I'm sure you're happy now in your new location. I wish that you had asked me or NDL for advise before moving to Steele Creek.
You raise several interesting points; each of which, could result in pages of exploration.

The Steele Creek phenomenon is a headscratcher: it's an area surrounded by nicer areas; demographically, nothing points to low income; the shopping and apartment complexes in the area are newer, handsome, well maintained, not "cheap." The area appears, in my view, to be underpoliced - and the City hasn't done much to ameliorate this - at least to my knowledge.

Old 10-27-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
You raise several interesting points; each of which, could result in pages of exploration.

The Steele Creek phenomenon is a headscratcher: it's an area surrounded by nicer areas; demographically, nothing points to low income; the shopping and apartment complexes in the area are newer, handsome, well maintained, not "cheap." The area appears, in my view, to be underpoliced - and the City hasn't done much to ameliorate this - at least to my knowledge.
I learned that poverty is not the cause of crime. It contributes like many other things. It has been interesting to notice that the types of crime you expect in inner city bad areas now occurs in the much more affluent ethnic areas in the suburbs. Steele Creek is a good example.

Old 10-31-2022, 09:29 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,965,807 times
Quote:

Steele Creek was actually touted as the next Ballentyne. If you speak to some of the older home owners to the area you'll tell you. I was actually kind of shocked by that. Even as late as 2019 I had read an article talking about the amenities of Steele Creek being as abundant as South Park and Ballentyne. That is obviously not true imo. The other two areas being much more preferable.

I'am not bashing on Charlotte as a whole, of course there are nice areas such as Myers Park, Dilworth, Cotswold etc. But let's be serious here for a moment when we say those area have a price range far beyond 90% of the people moving to that city. 1 bedrooms there can exceed $2400 and homes are astronomical (small cottages in the $800,000+ range) compared to a lot of other areas of Charlotte. I think a lot of people are surprised (we were) by Charlotte in that there are a lot of nice-looking areas and very nice-looking neighborhoods. We lived in a great HOA. It was beautiful with tree lined streets and gorgeous homes. Who could have suspected that at night we'd hear weekly gunshots from surrounding apartments and neighborhoods. The issue is when night falls there seems to be a lot those areas are suddenly not nice at all. As a whole, crime in the area is just way higher than we were used to after living in New England and Fla and it became too much to deal with. When I can't send my kid to school because they're so terrible then we have a problem. All I'm saying is if the OP is noticing there is a crime issue in the area they are searching already, and they haven't moved here then it is something to be worried about.

Old 10-31-2022, 09:53 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,963,373 times
Quote:
Steele Creek was actually touted as the next Ballentyne. If you speak to some of the older home owners to the area you'll tell you. I was actually kind of shocked by that. Even as late as 2019 I had read an article talking about the amenities of Steele Creek being as abundant as South Park and Ballentyne. That is obviously not true imo. The other two areas being much more preferable.

I'am not bashing on Charlotte as a whole, of course there are nice areas such as Myers Park, Dilworth, Cotswold etc. But let's be serious here for a moment when we say those area have a price range far beyond 90% of the people moving to that city. 1 bedrooms there can exceed $2400 and homes are astronomical (small cottages in the $800,000+ range) compared to a lot of other areas of Charlotte. I think a lot of people are surprised (we were) by Charlotte in that there are a lot of nice-looking areas and very nice-looking neighborhoods. We lived in a great HOA. It was beautiful with tree lined streets and gorgeous homes. Who could have suspected that at night we'd hear weekly gunshots from surrounding apartments and neighborhoods. The issue is when night falls there seems to be a lot those areas are suddenly not nice at all. As a whole, crime in the area is just way higher than we were used to after living in New England and Fla and it became too much to deal with. When I can't send my kid to school because they're so terrible then we have a problem. All I'm saying is if the OP is noticing there is a crime issue in the area they are searching already, and they haven't moved here then it is something to be worried about.
You were a homeschooler so you wouldn't have sent her anyway.

Old 10-31-2022, 12:19 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,723 times
Quote:

This is common sense and applicable to any city in the world. And a great deal of hyperbole as usual. It is a city, you do not have to live in the city. Guns shots every night is just a damn lie and you know it, just stop.

Old 10-31-2022, 01:23 PM
NDL

Quote:

I'm not writing this to cause you grief, but are you saying that middle class Charlotteans cannot live in a safe low crime environment, because there aren't any middle class areas within Charlotte for middle income earners that are low in crime?

Old 10-31-2022, 01:51 PM

Sweetbottoms, I can see where people thought that the area was going to be like Ballantyne. I thought it looke great during the day. Luckily, I decided before investing there that I would do an after dark drive by. Thank god I did. I turned ghetto. I may have mentioned before that once I was speaking to someone on the phone a couple of years ago that lived in a nice Steele Creek condo across from Walmart that was at the time of the conversation watching a neighbor's condo be broken into. He had to hang up and call the cops.

Old 10-31-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
This is common sense and applicable to any city in the world. And a great deal of hyperbole as usual. It is a city, you do not have to live in the city. Guns shots every night is just a damn lie and you know it, just stop.
I don't know if "guns shot every night" is a reality. I don't live in that sort of place. I have seen black mothers in the city claim to hear gunshots every night. They usually say it on the news after a murder occurs. I don't really care, it doesn't affect me, but it is just the thought that one can't simply live wherever one wishes in a city without using common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte