Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2007, 03:34 AM

2 posts, read 7,387 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have an 8 yr daughter who was diagnoised with autism about 3 yrs ago.We are considering moving to Charlotte NC because we hear that they have better schools and programs out there.We have lived in Rock Hill SC ever since she was born and we have not received any help as far as getting any training that she should already have.We are not pleased with any of the schools out here.The suppot groups have been a big help but the resourses are limmited in what they can do.I go to church in the Carrowinds area and I work in Pinville NC.I know once I move to the Charlotte area I will find alot more help.What kind of programs and schools are there for her.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 07:27 AM

525 posts, read 1,804,595 times
Contact some of the local school systems, Meck, Union, Cabarrus and find out what they offer and how long it takes to get assistance.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:43 PM

473 posts, read 1,578,900 times
Red face Special needs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2theonly1 View Post
My wife and I have an 8 yr daughter who was diagnoised with autism about 3 yrs ago.We are considering moving to Charlotte NC because we hear that they have better schools and programs out there.We have lived in Rock Hill SC ever since she was born and we have not received any help as far as getting any training that she should already have.We are not pleased with any of the schools out here.The suppot groups have been a big help but the resourses are limmited in what they can do.I go to church in the Carrowinds area and I work in Pinville NC.I know once I move to the Charlotte area I will find alot more help.What kind of programs and schools are there for her.
I've heard some complaints about this and you need to research it well and buy your house around a school that meets her needs. One of the girls in my neighborhood has a son that used to be mainstreamed in NJ and he's having difficulty now because there are no programs for him, from what she says. He's special but not so special that he can't function in a normal classroom without assistance. So he's in between and that's been difficult for her.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:54 AM

43 posts, read 154,559 times
Hi n2theonly1
I also have a child with special needs and he was in a self contained class then moved to regular classroom setting along the way. I can only speak from my experience with Union County Schools, but my son went to Western Union Elementary and Parkwood Middle school and the exceptional childrens program and teachers at Western Union were fantastic. If you want more info on the Union County Schools program you can contact them and they will tell you. Also the website has more info here is the link:
http://ec.ucps.k12.nc.us/ (broken link)
Annette Martin and Rebecca Kaemmer are EC teachers at Western Union Elementary School and they are fantastic.
Having a child with special needs is not a problem in the Western Union, Parkwood School distict.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:48 PM

531 posts, read 2,011,773 times
I have a child who is also on the autism spectrum. We are in Union County. We recieve more services here than we did in CT. The teachers, EC teachers, the teaach program, and the local autism chapter have all been excellent.

Have you tried to contact the NC autism society charlotte chapter yet? They have 2 parent advocates that can help to answer any of your questions. They will also attend your IEP meetings with you to ensure your child receives the services she needs. They were awesome when we moved here and made sure my son was getting everything he needed. They also got me in touch with our local autism chapter and other parents in similar situations. It was nice to be able to talk to people that truly understand.

Please feel free to pm me with any questions. I can also get you the phone numbers to some of the staff to help you out. Best of luck in your move.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:30 PM

27 posts, read 80,908 times
Default Thank You

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posted replies regarding special needs services. The info. I've just read will really help us to with respect to our two sons with high functioning autism. Again, thank you to all you caring people!

Old 01-20-2007, 05:59 AM

43 posts, read 154,559 times
One more thing about Western Union Elementry School, if you have a child with special needs and they are age 3 then they will test the child and put them on an IEP and start to work with them in a PRESCHOOL setting at the school. Natalie Griffin works the Preschool Program at Western Union, as long as your child needs help then you will keep an IEP all the way thru school even into College if needed in NC. My son started in the preschool program and became mainstream with an IEP in 3rd grade. He had an IEP all the way thru middle school and in NC would have had his IEP for high school there.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:46 AM

4 posts, read 12,952 times
Default Services in Autism

I am the mother of a 9 year old autistic child. She does very well. I am writing because I would like to move to the charlotte area sometime in june. As a parent of a special needs child, as I am sure you know, everything revolves around her getting the proper education. I would really appreciate any feedback anyone copuld give me. this is n\my first move away from home and I have no clue what else is out there. I love my daughters school (here in nj) but New jersey is becoming to expensive and I am originally from the south anyway. Sorry to ramble, I know that NJ isn't the only place t o find a quality education for my daughter but I don't know where to start. Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Chakia

Old 01-22-2007, 12:02 PM

218 posts, read 253,825 times
I don't have kids or personal experience with Autism, but here are some local links that may be useful

http://www.supportworks.org/cat767.htm
http://www.autismsociety-nc.org/
http://www.parkerautismfoundation.org/

I wouldn't rely on the information the public school system tells you, considering Autism is a widely misunderstood disorder. I think the best source of information would be other parents of autistic children here in the Charlotte area.

Old 01-22-2007, 12:05 PM

531 posts, read 2,011,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chakia View Post
I am the mother of a 9 year old autistic child. She does very well. I am writing because I would like to move to the charlotte area sometime in june. As a parent of a special needs child, as I am sure you know, everything revolves around her getting the proper education. I would really appreciate any feedback anyone copuld give me. this is n\my first move away from home and I have no clue what else is out there. I love my daughters school (here in nj) but New jersey is becoming to expensive and I am originally from the south anyway. Sorry to ramble, I know that NJ isn't the only place t o find a quality education for my daughter but I don't know where to start. Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Chakia
We moved here to being affraid of our son not getting services he needs. But we were wrong, they offered us more services here. Everyone in the local schools have been very supportive and helpful. It was actually the best move we could have made for our son. We are actually inUnion County...right next door to Charlotte, but I have heard some of the schools in the Charlotte area are great for kids with special needs. Please fell free to pm me with any specific questions you have...and best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: