Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 01:52 PM

15 posts, read 96,482 times

Advertisements

Here are my observations right off the bat.

He knew about cars. I definitely know more than an average person about cars and I threw a lot of technical questions at him around secondary air pumps (that most cars dont even have), talked about part swaps (use VW parts in BMWs), talked about oils (even though he advertized that he is was the master tech on nissan and infiniti (and also ASE master tech), he knew exactly what oil BMW recommends for their vehicles.

He gave me a LOT of time on the phone but that could also be because i told him i am in the market to make a new relationship with a mechanic (which is true). But still compared to the previous shop that i talked to.. in fort mill...posted above... he spent about 40 minutes with me on the phone. Going into a lot of details and seemed very transparent about several things that i agree with - like transmission oil flushes are just a way to make money...draining, replacing is just fine).

We dont need to replace water pump if we dont need to... recommendations on which coolant to use etc etc. A lot of technical details backing his opinion (i am a mechnical engineer myself so I know something about these things).

On the price, i found him really reasonable. Here is what he has quoted me for the 90k service.

pump + timing belt = $200 labor (we looked up parts together on the computers and they are around 150 bucks). so basically 350 bucks for the whole thing including parts

will give me free oil change (he uses guard 10/30 full synthetic but i need to read about this one) if i do the above with him.

transmission oil change - $90-100 if we use the factory oil, which i would. his labor itself for the job is $35 (VERY low, i thnk).

Tire rotation - only if needed..10 bucks! (nice)

gave me options on which coolant to use..and why.

I have a problem related to the exhaust system that i discussed with him and he knew a LOT about it and I have done a LOT of technical reading on it so I knew he was right on..

i have a complex job regarding a AC compressor on another car that i have been given a $1300 quote from AAA on). He knew the 'cheap/smart' workaruond that i had in mind and had the tools to do the job (basically a clutch tool with which you only take the clutch out and replace that or just the bearing) instead of replacing the entire compressor (big $$$ saves). Non of the 'branded' chains that i spoke with would even mention that option till I basically let them know I know what they are talking about and to also let them know that I know a little something about it too). And then they would say "yes, that is an option too"..

i just feel right about this one. So I have booked an appointment with him in 3 days from now. Will let you know how the overall experience is.

I think he is new in the area but very experienced and making his clientele base right now.

I think this is probably the longest review i have written about any business and i dont write reviews at all (sorry, yes, I am a leech).

So lets see how my experience with him is on sat. Found his ad on craigslist of all the places as i was searching for "toyota" in the services section and his name came up with several others...

He is Mark Boles of Boles Automotive service center LLC 704 792 1005. On concord motor speedway..

My regular (great guy till about last month) is Martin near the south blvd area.. I still feel he is really good with a lot of ford, chevys, maybe even toyotas but he was not able to diagnose a couple of things with my bmw that i ended up finding the root cause of and fixing myself. So my conclusion on him is that he is not that good on import vehicles...but still a great honest mechanic and very good value for money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 09:40 AM

6 posts, read 8,329 times
I would also say Martin at 3631 Tryclan Dr, Charlotte, NC 28217 is so honest. I used to go for my camry...he is reliable and good mechanic you can give a try !!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte