Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 12:42 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,636,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
No problem...I just didn't want to drive over there and wait in a long line.

You have to mail them your birth certificate with a raised seal. They say they mail it back to you. Do you think I will ever see it again?
Hee Hee. Sorry, I had to giggle on that one, cause I have wondered several times . . . assumed I would never see that old birth certificate again . . .

Had to mail it off to American Express, if you can believe that, when I changed my last name (got married). I thought - well, that's it for my ancient birth certificate. I was so surprised when I got it back . . . same for passport.

So I hope you get it back . . . if not, more letters and heaven knows what, to get a notarized, authorized, verified (whatever they call it!!!!) birth certificate!!!!

(Have you checked the date on your passport lately?????)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 12:57 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,039,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
To all you future NC drivers - If you let your old state license expire, you will have to take the "behind the wheel" test in addition to the "computerized" written part.
Does anybody know what the driving test is, the reason I ask was in Miami I had to do an actual driving test, which consisted of driving around a car park and parking the car.

When I parked the car the examiner said congratulations you have passed I nearly fell out my seat.

Total exam time 3mins 30 secs.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:21 AM

630 posts, read 1,880,907 times
One idea to save some time (at the expensive of gas) is to go to a DMV where transplants don't generally live. The lines are much shorter.

What I find interesting is up in MA, the license and registration portions both take a long time. Here the license portion takes a really long time but the car registration and plates procedure took about 5 minutes start to finish. And custom plates took maybe 2 weeks. Custom plates in MA were 4 or 6 months I think.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:55 AM

60 posts, read 309,703 times
Oh Hoagie! I think Hades must have been icy the day you went to the DMV at Harris and Tryon!
I'm glad you had a great experience.

To echo what others have said, I think you have to try different places. My husband's b-day was Wednesday and he was absolutely DREADING going to the DMV. He works in Gastonia and walked in at lunchtime with no one in the entire building except for three examiners waiting to serve him! He was out in 5 minutes. Jackpot! We'll be making the drive there even if gas is $10/gallon

Old 06-06-2008, 12:12 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,567,447 times
OK...so you may as well and go to the Social Security Office in person and wait and wait and wait...

There website states that you can mail in the application for a replacement card along with your birth certifcate with a raised seal.

So I decide today just to call and verify after trying to get thru for ever...and they say oh no...that has changed...you can still mail the application in with your drivers license and they will return your drivers license with your new card in about 3 weeks. So do they expect you to drive around town for 3 weeks with no license? I advised they need to update their website.

NO WAY would I mail my drivers licence in the mail.

Websites are not always accurate...especially if you are dealing with the government.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:29 PM

624 posts, read 2,111,952 times
If you go to the Social Security Office in person - do you get the Social Security Card that day or do you just get to keep your ID (license, passport, birth certificate)?

My initial impression is that it is still a 7-10 day wait and they'll mail you the SS card but you get to keep whatever form of ID you are using. Is that right?

Old 06-06-2008, 12:32 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,567,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
If you go to the Social Security Office in person - do you get the Social Security Card that day or do you just get to keep your ID (license, passport, birth certificate)?

My initial impression is that it is still a 7-10 day wait and they'll mail you the SS card but you get to keep whatever form of ID you are using. Is that right?
No...they mail it to you in about 2 weeks if you go in person...not on the spot per Social Security Office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte