Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 11:04 AM

6 posts, read 19,022 times

Advertisements

Thinking about relocating from L.I. to areas around Charlotte. We have heard it is hard to make a salary that is even close to what can be made in N.Y. We don't want to make a huge mistake, there's no turning back!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 11:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
I dont know if this site will help you or not but it may give you a base idea.
PayScale - North Carolina Salary, Average Salaries

It also has a box to find out how much you are worth.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:17 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Generally true, but a dollar has much more buying power here than there. Wait until you see how much home and land you can buy in NC for the same amount as on Long Island.

Last edited by mm34b; 01-19-2008 at 12:21 PM..

Old 01-19-2008, 12:19 PM

999 posts, read 4,651,484 times
My husband took about a 10% pay cut to come here from Fairfield County, CT. It is hard to gauge salaries, since jobs may be slightly different, certain fields have more need, therefore higher salaries. I have heard of folks getting MORE to come here also. You should look for positions in your field and see what types of salaries are offered, that may be more telling.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:25 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,712 times
Default Salary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of Long Island View Post
Thinking about relocating from L.I. to areas around Charlotte. We have heard it is hard to make a salary that is even close to what can be made in N.Y. We don't want to make a huge mistake, there's no turning back!!!
You will love it down here!! I know many ex-Long Islanders who now live in NC/VA. Yes, salaries are much lower but so is real estate, taxes on real estate. The Charlotte area has a lot of energy so an ex-New Yorker will find
plenty to do. Remember it is the South so be prepared for some culture shock and have an open mind.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:57 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Salaries are lower but more importantly, jobs are hard to come by. Make SURE you know what you are doing before you leave. Who says there is no turning back? We are thinking that route as we speak. It is nice here though, no complaints, but its not New England...be prepared for that.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:00 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:

It can vary by employer or field of work. I know some people who make less than they did in places like NYC and Boston and I also know people who make the same amount and even a few who actually make more here. So basically the responses you receive will depend on who you ask. As for me, I make the same amount as I did in NJ.

Again, your mileage may vary

Old 01-19-2008, 05:12 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,108 times
Leaving NYC for NC, I took less than 1% paycut. I don't really consider it a cut I save so much more money on other things. Car insurance, housing and taxes are cheaper. Don't think of the cut, but think of all the other great possibilities. To tell you the truth, I would've taken a 10% pay cut just to live here.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 5,941 times
Tired of Long Island, I am from Boston and I also strongly thinking of moving to NC. The main reason is because I know I get more for my money. I do not know what the salaries are in NY, but they are not that great in Boston. They are offering A LOT less than they were two years ago, but living expenses are increasing. I've found that some of the jobs I've looked at pay the same as they did here two years ago.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:00 AM

6 posts, read 19,022 times
Thanks for the responses to my wife's inquiry yesterday. Thing is, I've been a Real Estate Broker here on Long Island for the past 15 years. What with the market going as it has been, I should make less this year than in years before, due to lower prices and lower sales volume. Since NC will offer us lower taxes ($12K annually up here), and no mortgage payment (since we can buy as big, or larger than we currently own, for less), just hard to judge. I know my expenses will be lowered, but income will be lower as well. Just can't tell how much lower, and NC Realtors have all differeing opinions.

Larry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte