U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2008, 10:09 AM

13 posts, read 28,912 times

Advertisements

My 22 year old daughter has gotten a good job and is going to be moving to your fine city. I am a little apprehensive as you can imagine and want to make sure she gets into a decent apartment complex. I know that all complexes are going to have some issues, but my #1 concern of course is saftey.

She got a great job offer right out of college and will be working just off 77 - near the Billy Graham Pkwy.

I'm looking for advise on safe places to live near this area. I'd say her budget is 600-800 per month for rent. She'd like to live near her work, and we are looking online at some place, but I have some concerns from what I read of some of the areas of SW Charlotte.

She'd like to not have to drive 20-30 minutes each way to work, and she'd like to be close to entertainment districts as well. However, safety is my main concern.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated!

Omaha Dad
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 10:17 AM

4,730 posts, read 18,216,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaDad View Post
My 22 year old daughter has gotten a good job and is going to be moving to your fine city. I am a little apprehensive as you can imagine and want to make sure she gets into a decent apartment complex. I know that all complexes are going to have some issues, but my #1 concern of course is saftey.

She got a great job offer right out of college and will be working just off 77 - near the Billy Graham Pkwy.

I'm looking for advise on safe places to live near this area. I'd say her budget is 600-800 per month for rent. She'd like to live near her work, and we are looking online at some place, but I have some concerns from what I read of some of the areas of SW Charlotte.

She'd like to not have to drive 20-30 minutes each way to work, and she'd like to be close to entertainment districts as well. However, safety is my main concern.

Omaha Dad

She may be working where I work! Stay out of all apartments in SW Charlotte and near the airport. Fort Mill, SC is an easy drive, but few apartments to choose from. Gaston County particularly Belmont and Mt. Holly are VERY easy drives to the airport and safer ovarll in regards to apartments.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:18 AM

2,560 posts, read 7,925,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaDad View Post

Omaha Dad
She doesn't want to live near I-77 & Billy Graham I can tell you that.

I would suggest if she is single and living alone try SouthPark area of Charlotte. A nice 1 bedroom will be on the higher end probably $800 if she wants to be in a nice safe area. Southpark would be a straight shot to work for her too.

I would suggest Uptown (City Center & Entertainment District) at her age but it will be closer to $950 - $1,000 a month for a 1 bedroom in a nice community. Uptown is very safe but not in-expensive.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 06-06-2008, 10:19 AM

382 posts, read 1,784,278 times
there are some nice apartment communities near Woodlawn and Park Rd. This is considered South Park area.
a friend of mine lives here and a lot of tenants are in their 20's and 30's. it's close, but in a more desirable location.
1420 Magnolia in Charlotte, NC

Old 06-06-2008, 10:21 AM

1,852 posts, read 4,811,112 times
Thats just south of uptown (the downtown area), I am not sure I would live right near there myself. I am most famliar with the north side, which would be 77 and Harris. I like some apts around that area and would be really close to Northlake mall, 10/15 minutes from Lake Norman and Birkdale shopping center, 15 minutes from uptown and probably 25 from that area. Is she into retail? Hiking? Lakes? At 22, she would probably like to be uptown, where the young profressionals "hang out". At 600 to 800 she wouldn't be able to get her own place, but she could find a roommate and rent an uptown apt, which would be ideal. If she wants to go solo, there are quite a few options.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:32 AM

13 posts, read 28,912 times
Thanks for the information - any further information would be greatly appreciated as well.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:36 PM

327 posts, read 1,101,099 times
I'd suggest that you take a look at the South End area of Charlotte. Its the area around South Blvd. It is the area roughly bordered by East and South Blvd. She'll probably not want to be on the north/west side of South Blvd. This area is undergoing some serious revitalization, has plenty of new apartments and alot of entertainment options either within or in uptown, which is a very short car/light rail ride away. Not sure about the prices, but I'm sure she could find a 1 bedroom there.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:40 PM

187 posts, read 612,569 times
where is she working? I work right around there, you don't want to live around there though, there are nice business buildings like I work in but other than that ... that area is trashy...in some parts

Old 06-06-2008, 02:46 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,925,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhagw View Post
where is she working? I work right around there, you don't want to live around there though, there are nice business buildings like I work in but other than that ... that area is trashy...in some parts
She will be woking near I-77 & Billy Graham.

What areas are you saying are trashy?

Not the previous post above you...right...SouthEnd is not trashy at all.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:59 PM

187 posts, read 612,569 times
Like others said, North and West aren't very good. North East is nice, i'm In South East Charlotte and moving to North East charlotte though.

South BLVD is nice in spots, obviously south park is very nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte