Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 11:53 AM

10 posts, read 60,919 times

Advertisements

Does anybody have any input about this community? Home builders are: McCar Homes, KB Homes, Bela Sera Homes, Shea Homes, MI Homes, and St Lawrence Homes. Any better than the others? Good, better, best or indifferent..........thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 12:05 PM

93 posts, read 393,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halrms View Post
Does anybody have any input about this community? Home builders are: McCar Homes, KB Homes, Bela Sera Homes, Shea Homes, MI Homes, and St Lawrence Homes. Any better than the others? Good, better, best or indifferent..........thank you.
If you run a search on 'McCar homes', or, any other builder you've listed, you'll undoubetdly get answers on each of them. I personally, would caution you against McCar. I have posted my experiences with them. I've read other threads about several of the builders you mentioned and have not heard anything positive. It's the day and age of the building industry...throw it up fast, use subpar materials and builders, and hope the buyer doesn't find it or complain. Anything to save the builder a buck. Well, it's time for that crap to stop. Best of luck hunting.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:16 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halrms View Post

If you search the threads there is a bunch about people being very dissatisfied with McCar. Personally, I think MI has the best reputation locally and have heard no complaints about them.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:27 PM

75 posts, read 321,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
If you search the threads there is a bunch about people being very dissatisfied with McCar. Personally, I think MI has the best reputation locally and have heard no complaints about them.
i will not comment on McCar, there are plenty of threads about them. I would also stay away from KB Homes, they are a questionable builder. M/I is good, so is shea, i have not dealt with St. Lawrence....

Old 01-08-2007, 02:13 PM

124 posts, read 521,779 times
always thought this looked like a nicely planned community as well. Hopefully someone will chime in on with actual field knowledge of how it is to live there or maybe one of the realtors that have shown that community.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:45 PM

249 posts, read 875,060 times
I purchased a KB home there and will be closing within a month. I have read some things on this site about people having bad experiences with McCar and Shea. If you do a search you should find the info pretty easily. I still loved the McCar Hanley model though.

I haven't found much on the kb's or MI's on here but the people whom I have spoken to in the community with either one are pretty happy. I don't think the St. Lawrence homes have starting selling yet but they look like they are going to be very nice but a step above the rest price wise.

For us it came down to price per sq ft which kb was the hands down winner but to be honest if I could have gotten an MI home the same size for the same price I probably would have. IMO most builders cut corners where they can to build quickly, some more than others of course.

One other thing to be aware of, the new Dixie River Elementary school which is supposed to be part of Berewick is not funded yet. It "should" be included in the next bond (fall 07 I believe??) but it is not a definite at this time. There have also been some changes to the master plan, you can see those online.

Here are a few helpful sites.
berewick.com
berewickhoa.com
pappasproperties.com

Old 01-08-2007, 05:00 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,767,934 times
Great community. St. Lawrence has a bunch of award winning floorplans.

I know of many people that are very happy with their purchase.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:10 PM

22 posts, read 105,012 times
Default MCCar Homes

All I can say - is stay away from McCar Homes. They came out today (unscheduled) to repair my hardiplank for the 3rd time. They hammer all day and when I got home my electricity in my two upstairs bedrooms is out. Checked the fuse, not that. All I know is everytime they come out and try to fix their screw-ups, it only gets worse. I hope they did not nail through any electrical wires. I tried to reach them - no answer. Should be interesting, tomorrow was the scheduled date for my repairs. I have a slow leak, they have no idea where it is coming from. This is the second leak I have had in my family room. The first was from the toilet upstairs, they forgot to put in the wax seal. My floors are popping all over, carpet is separating from the threshold they just put down. I am going on two years in this house and they are still working on my 1 year walk-thru. I say run, don't waste your time or money.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:50 AM

10 posts, read 38,916 times
I live in Berewick and like the community. We bought a McCar home in December of 2005. The location is ideal for me as I work uptown (15-20 minutes w/ traffic) and its close to lake wylie. There is not much around the neighborhood right now but there will be. Thats one of the reasons we bought in Berebick, for what it will be instead of what it is. Once the retail and the park are built I believe demand for the neighborhood will be high. There are also alot of activities at the clubhouse.

Not too much to complain about aside from the construction and maybe the lack of a boatdock.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:59 PM

93 posts, read 393,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxdsp View Post
I live in Berewick and like the community. We bought a McCar home in December of 2005. The location is ideal for me as I work uptown (15-20 minutes w/ traffic) and its close to lake wylie. There is not much around the neighborhood right now but there will be. Thats one of the reasons we bought in Berebick, for what it will be instead of what it is. Once the retail and the park are built I believe demand for the neighborhood will be high. There are also alot of activities at the clubhouse.

Not too much to complain about aside from the construction and maybe the lack of a boatdock.
I have to agree with ireland on this one. I have spoken to many residents of my community, some who've been here for over 3 years and others that just recently built. The response is interesting. The homeowners of 'older' homes seem surprised by the quantity of problems many of us 'newer' owners have. This surprised me at first, until, I heard the same thing first hand from the subs themselves. Pay attention, Mr. McCrae...this may interest you. During numerous repairs to our home, subs have opened their mouths to share the same sentiment about the 'quality' of these newer homes vs. the older ones. ALH (those in Canton, GA know this sub) told me on several occassions that McCar is the ONLY builder they work for that require them to use flex-pipe for the gas lines and yet, time and again, they have so many problems with gas leaks from the flex-pipe. (I've had 4 leaks so far!) The gas company came out on one of our recent leaks and was horrified to see the flex-pipe. Said it's very dangerous. After discussing this with Josh Bailey with McCar, he gave me some big run around about why builders like it. Whatever. The point being is their own subs despise using it but actually told me the guy that 'sold' McCar on the flex-pipe deal was pretty smart. How's that for information? Nevermind the fact that two different subs from the same company admitted that the AC and furnaces are simply inadequate for these size homes. (I have not had any major problems with my heating/cooling, though.) Additionally, other subs told us that they are repeatedly called out for repairs on the newer homes because they were "thrown up so fast" that many simple things that SHOULD have been caught, were, ignored. What does a homeowner do with this information? Sit on it?!? I think not. It enrages us to think what did we get ourselves into? So, kudos to you if you were delivered a quality home by McCar. That is wonderful! If only the REST of us could say the same thing and be so sure. I'm not moving. We simply love it here. But, we were not delivered a quality home. We have made it our mission (as I have said before and will continue to say until something changes within McCar), to inform the public, as well as our community neighbors about these problems. My street is not an isolated incident. But again, the building industry is not what it used to be. We've learned our lesson big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte