Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2008, 02:52 PM

72 posts, read 220,205 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I know there are a lot of threads on here already about particular neighborhoods, but I'm making a final decision on my living situation for next year, and I'm still a little unsure.

A friend and I have been looking for rental properties in Elizabeth, Chantilly, and Eastover for the fall, but have recently come across an amazing house in Plaza-Midwood. The house we're looking at is on Kenwood Ave., which is about two blocks up and over from the corner of Plaza and Central.

From what I can tell, I like the area, and the house itself is in a gorgeous little area. But I was wondering if anyone who lives in the area currently or has experience can answer a few more questions for me.

- What is the safety of the overall area like? We'll be 3 young girls living alone, so it's definitely a concern for us. The house has an alarm system, so I feel confident about the actual property. I worry mostly about the outlying areas. There are a lot of nice, cute little restaurants right near the Plaza/Central corner, but there are also some buildings in the area that worry me.

- I'd like to still be able to access the Elizabeth area, perhaps by bike. The easiest way to do that seems to be to use Pecan and go under Independence. Is this safe?

- Can anyone give me an overall feel of the neighborhood? We know people our age who swear by Thomas Street Tavern, etc., but get the impression that the residential areas are mostly young couples. Will we, as early-20's girls, be out of place in the neighborhood?

Thanks so much! Any insight you can give is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 03:07 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabercro View Post
Hi all! I know there are a lot of threads on here already about particular neighborhoods, but I'm making a final decision on my living situation for next year, and I'm still a little unsure.

A friend and I have been looking for rental properties in Elizabeth, Chantilly, and Eastover for the fall, but have recently come across an amazing house in Plaza-Midwood. The house we're looking at is on Kenwood Ave., which is about two blocks up and over from the corner of Plaza and Central.

From what I can tell, I like the area, and the house itself is in a gorgeous little area. But I was wondering if anyone who lives in the area currently or has experience can answer a few more questions for me.

- What is the safety of the overall area like? We'll be 3 young girls living alone, so it's definitely a concern for us. The house has an alarm system, so I feel confident about the actual property. I worry mostly about the outlying areas. There are a lot of nice, cute little restaurants right near the Plaza/Central corner, but there are also some buildings in the area that worry me.

- I'd like to still be able to access the Elizabeth area, perhaps by bike. The easiest way to do that seems to be to use Pecan and go under Independence. Is this safe?

- Can anyone give me an overall feel of the neighborhood? We know people our age who swear by Thomas Street Tavern, etc., but get the impression that the residential areas are mostly young couples. Will we, as early-20's girls, be out of place in the neighborhood?

Thanks so much! Any insight you can give is greatly appreciated!
Kenwood Ave is fairly safe for Plaza Midwood. Generally, the closer to Central you are the better, as the back side of the neighorhood closer to Shamrock and Sugar Creek is where I would not personally feel comfortable. Though I want to add, this is an "urban" neighborhood - you will have to remember that you are not living in the suburbs and remember to always lock your doors and leave nothing valuable outside okay?

People your age LOVE living in Plaza Midwood - there are great neighborhood haunts there like Thomas Street Tavern, the Penguin, Zada Jane's and Dish, just to name a few. You could certainly bike from Kenwood anywhere you needed to go in uptown, Elizabeth or Chantilly. Riding your bike down Pecan under Independence is perfectly safe. You just would not want to bike thru NoDa necessarily, or anywhere near the back of the neighborhood - like I said - stay away from Sugar Creek and you would be pretty safe. Biking Plaza Midwood, Chantilly and Elizabeth is just fine

Old 04-28-2008, 07:13 AM

195 posts, read 538,384 times
I live in the Plaza-Midwood area and love it. There are a lot of young single people who live around here. We all walk to the Plaza (by ourselves in the daylight at night in groups is best). Midwood has it's problems, like any other place, but common sense will get you far.
Pecan is a good way to get from Midwood to Elizabeth.
Kenwood is a great street to live on. I say get to know your neighbors, be aware of your surroundings, and you will be happy you moved there.
Looking forward to seeing you around the Hood.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:26 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Plaza-Midwood = GREAT neighborhood!

Old 06-09-2008, 09:04 PM

40 posts, read 128,980 times
i live off of central/morningside area and it is absolutely everything i could have ever wanted. uptown and the rest of the city is very easily accessible and i feel pretty safe with that big police station at central and eastway close by.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:09 AM

569 posts, read 1,409,073 times
Kenwood Av. is a great area. You generally want to avoid walking down the Plaza, especially after you cross Belevedere heading towards NoDa. I always felt pretty safe in the area, just use common sense and good judgement. No matter where I was I probably would not walk or ride a bike by myself anywhere at night. I think you will enjoy the area. It is full of 20-30 something singles and couples. You do have trendy bars such as Thomas St Tavern and Penguin. I say trendy because now it seems everyone from all over town goes to these. When I moved in they were just regular neighborhood dives. Anyways, they are still good places to get a drink if you do not mind the crowds.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte