Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:16 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,243,762 times

Advertisements

The vast majority of homes in Charlotte that have been built during the last 50 years exist in subdivisions and almost without exception, especially in the last 30 years, these have been endless variations on traditional styled homes. This means that if you want modern, you are basically left with older custom homes and that means being on the very high end of the scale as the above indicate.

However with that said, there are a few options if you want to look for something a bit more reasonable. In the mid to late 70s there were a few builders here that put up modern style homes in the more reasonable price range. Some of these exist in Raintree and there are a few individual subdivisions in the Hickory Grove area. Unfortunately these houses tend to be smaller than what most would like these days and most likely need some updating.

You may also find some on individual lots which are pretty rare in Charlotte but do exist. Lowes, before they became Lowes Home Improvement, used to sell homes in kit form in order to sell lumber. Some of these houses were very modern looking and I've see a few of them in driving around Charlotte. Unfortunately, and in general, Charlotte is not a real progressive place for housing. I wish it was more progressive, but conformity is the rule of the day for here.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:20 AM

338 posts, read 799,195 times
Wow are these people serious!

Minimalist Home in Eastover | ModernCharlotte.com

Old 01-05-2010, 10:53 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,227,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivster View Post
1.1 million lols to that.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:09 AM

530 posts, read 1,186,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivster View Post
1/2 acre+ in Eastover... Damn right they're serious.. try looking at land/property/houses in Eastover...

Not that I agree with it, but property in that area has been in the 7 figure range for the last 8 years...

Old 01-05-2010, 12:10 PM

53 posts, read 90,472 times
The Modern Style isn't so modern and up to code standards. Most are Architects trying to copy famous Architects work in hopes of gaining recognition on a broader scale however even some of the most famous beautiful works of architecture out there are not desirable to live in and some don't even work for their intended use such as a famous fire station that is now an art museum.
Some confuse this style with the contemporary style that was briefly popular in the 70's and 80's. These are so design challenged the only way to truly update them is with a bull dozer.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:11 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,734,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
I live near the new modern green homes on Craig. They dont seem to selling. To me they look like something from "outpost Anartica" lol They look like boxes and for sure stand out in the neighborhood. Note the garage that comes with them is still like all the other new homes with no room to park a car if you also have a trash can or lawn mower in it...
Are those the Celedon homes?

Old 01-12-2010, 03:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,523 times
Default ModernCharlotte.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
Check out this link - it has listings for mid-century modern homes
Welcome to Modern Charlotte | ModernCharlotte.com

I just went out with the realtor that owns this company. Her name is Gail, and we had a great time exploring different neighborhoods. She has a passion for modern homes and seems to have a good handle on what's available on the market. I definitely recommend her!

Old 01-12-2010, 05:44 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,417,249 times
while this is an old post it is an important subject to me.
we are the owners of a true modern home , not at all what they have in montibello as have been
suggested. those homes are contemps , this is also what one will find in raintree.
not moderns. very important distinction in quality of design. at least to us modern home "snobs".

we have had ours on the market for a year and although we have come down $200.000
there just is not much interest in charlotte for these types of homes. we chased the market , etc.

combine that with the current poor market in the $500.000 range modern homes are not an easy
sell.
people that are attracted to Charlotte really want your pretty standard home or
actually most want mcmansions.

we have taken ours off the market and rented it out , now renting was easy because a lot of people wants to live in it , just not buy it.

I do know Gail and she is a delightful person , funny though , she does not herself
live in a modern.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,035 times
Default Are there any modern homes in Charlotte?

There are mid-century modern homes in Chalotte. Charlotte has everything from cute atomic ranches in Madison Park to luxurious custom built homes in Foxcroft. Montibello was built in the 70's-90's so does not qualify. the more you look for these homes..the more you will find. There just aren't that many on the market at any one time but many are very affordable. It depends if you want to do a little renovation or not. I think it is best to find the ones that have only had 1 owner so all the great mid-century modern design remains. then you can update to your taste.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
1.1 million lols to that.
The vacant lot on the corner is for sale at $1.2 million. The home is in Eastover and there is the land value to consider. It would be great if this home was restored as it is AG Odell's last surviving design for a single family home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte