Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 10:38 AM

161 posts, read 423,156 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Charlotte in time for the school year to begin for next year. We already have a paid trip to Disney for a week in Dec. My son will be in first grade. Does anyone know how the school or teachers treat this? In Canada they do not worry as long as the child does all the work sent with them or afterwards. They do not even count sick days in Ontario because they do not want parents feeling like they have to send said sick child to school.

Any info will be appreciated. Were looking around the Indian Trail Area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 10:43 AM

743 posts, read 2,242,462 times
I know that there are only so many days a child can miss throughout the school year. If you check the UCPS website, it does mention on there how many days exactly. But they are very in touch with the amount of days a child is absent throughout the year. I have not seen firsthand what happens but they do how children back if they miss enough. If that is all the time your child will miss I don't think there will be a problem. Plus they are out of school for 2 weeks around christmas. Unless you look in Shiloh then they are out for 3 weeks due to being a year long school. Oh, btw, can I come with you, lol, sounds like fun.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:46 AM

The only reason my son will be out is if he needs to be out so I would *hope* it would be ok. The job transfer came after the paid trip first of Dec. A week sounds so bad to be gone from school but I would hate to loose this trip and not get it all refunded.

Sure, come on and go. I can fit two more in the van But I warn you my other child is 2 and quite terrible these days lolol

Old 06-11-2008, 10:51 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,319,732 times
Default Union County Board Policy on Elementary Attendance

Here's the official policy:

http://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/BOE/php/policy_manual_public.php?chapter=4 (broken link)

In instances like yours, you may be able to get special permission from the principal for an "educational experience" absence. Students would be required to make-up work and probably do a special assignment related to their "educational experience."

Attendance policy is rather strict here. Absences and tardies can result in the student not being promoted.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:55 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
Here's the official policy:

http://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/BOE/php/policy_manual_public.php?chapter=4 (broken link)

In instances like yours, you may be able to get special permission from the principal for an "educational experience" absence. Students would be required to make-up work and probably do a special assignment related to their "educational experience."

Attendance policy is rather strict here. Absences and tardies can result in the student not being promoted.

Hello marvinnative - so good to "see" you here!!

I knew you would have good info to share

I want to say, this is the kind of stuff that drives me crazy about public school. If a responsible parent wants to/needs to take their child out of school I think as long as the work it made up, it is not the schools place to be punitive. This would not happen in the private schools.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:55 AM

ty kindly for that link... I wonder what educational by prinicpal means? Is Disney really something they would look at???

I would hope all would be ok, they are allowed 20 days and my DS has not come close yet. But oh the sick days might hit me. Hopefully those can be excused???

Got to learn the ropes.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:28 AM

285 posts, read 1,071,784 times
I used to live in Orlando and there are some educational aspects you can do. Animal Kingdown which is in Disney is awesome as it has animals in its natural habitat, or as close as they could do it. Epcot is mostly educational as well. You can do Sea World and learn all about ocean animals etc.

There are also an awesome science museam.

So if you research a bit and plan it out before asking the school, I am sure they will be fine.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:30 AM

I have never heard of planning a trip as educational. Any tips besides knowing about the parks. We are actually looking into Sea World as well but do not have the tix yet.

How does one go about doing this with the school?

Old 06-11-2008, 11:31 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emagine View Post
I have never heard of planning a trip as educational. Any tips besides knowing about the parks. We are actually looking into Sea World as well but do not have the tix yet.

How does one go about doing this with the school?
Most likely you would start by discussing it with the teacher. She could "assign" your child a particular animal or subject to have to do a report on and present to the class when you get back But start in August discussing this to get the principal onboard and the prior approval you'll need.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:46 AM

62 posts, read 298,073 times
We just took our daughter who is in K to Disney this past December. Not during any of the school time off. We had sent a note weeks ahead to let them know and asked what we could do for makeups. Really not much. It still counted against her as unexcused. But we were ok with that. She rarely misses anyway and is a good student.

I remember going to school and missing all the time for vacations or trips or being sick and never remember it being a problem growing up. I guess times have changed in that regard. But we've been here 3 years and have heard that Union County schools are strict on attendance policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte