Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 08:56 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,865,439 times

Advertisements

Just read the following- still have goose bumps thinking about how this could have ended. Charlotte Observer | 06/12/2008 | Child left in car for 2 hours (http://www.charlotte.com/breaking_news/story/667121.html - broken link)

The inside of a car can quickly heat up to 140 degrees and higher even if it is cool outside. Please spread the word- 25 kids a year to something this stupid is 25 too many!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 09:02 PM

250 posts, read 529,742 times
I will not read the article because it will raise my blood pressure, but please tell me the parents were arrested for child abuse.

When I read about people being THIS stupid I just want to turn in my card and leave....

Old 06-12-2008, 09:10 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
I dont know how old his great grandmother is but parents should be very aware of their elder parents mental state.
It should be common knowledge as a relative if they are showing signs of forgetfulness.

My mom now balances my 85 year old grandmother banking due to she a point she cant remember who she wrote a check to who.
So bless her heart she a great person but I know I would not leave her to babysit alone due to she might forget something.

I am armed with a camera phone if I see one dog left in a car in this heat I will photograph the incident , tags and send it to appropriate authorities

Old 06-12-2008, 09:11 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1261 View Post
I will not read the article because it will raise my blood pressure, but please tell me the parents were arrested for child abuse.

When I read about people being THIS stupid I just want to turn in my card and leave....
You got to read it to know the slant I was like you and thought the same thing and I had about 5 paragraph post ready to send then I decided I need to know where this article is going.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:13 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,865,439 times
I guess this article goes hand in hand with the other- Charlotte News - Local News Charlotte | Charlotte Observer (http://www.charlotte.com/112/story/666518.html - broken link) Kids in cars unattended just isnt a good thing! Thank God this had a happy ending!!!

Old 06-12-2008, 09:18 PM

250 posts, read 529,742 times
Kayak, I just want to share this with you. About 4 years ago I saw a dog in a car on a day where it hit 92 here and was muggy. The dog was panting and drooling to the point where it was about to pass out from dehydration.

I BROKE THE WINDOW OUT and took the dog with me, leaving a note that the owner should call me for restitution as far as the window was concerned, and that I would be happy to meet her, the humane society rep and the SPCA rep at the police station to discuss the return of the dog.

I faced breaking and entering charges, kidnapping for taking the dog, and probably a lot of lesser charges, but the dog was comfortable in my house for the SIX DAYS that elapsed before I heard anything from the owner.

I did get charged for breaking the window but the dog was never mentioned, and he is probably still living with the foster family that took him after the dust settled.

Only one of MANY times I stepped up and put myself in jeopardy for an animal abuse issue.

And when it's a child involved..... no comment.

PS Someday as me in private about the dog park incident. LOL!!!

Old 06-13-2008, 07:36 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,464,840 times
A few months after I left Florida, I got word from a former co-worker that someone at the City I worked at left her 1 year old in the car all day and it died. Apparently the husband was the one who normally took teh kids to school and day care...he was out of town so she had to do it...apparently the kid fell asleep on the way to work, all the way in the back of the van. After the 30-45 minute drive to work, the lady just forgot the kid was back there. Didn't come back out until lunch time and realized what she had done.

The super scary thing for me is I can be absent minded like this. Granted, I don't have a kid, so I can't relate to the level of responsibility that coems with a kid...but I can relate with the feeling of "oh crap, where's the reset button?!?!"

The sad part was the state threatened murder charges on the mother, who's life was obviously turned upside-down and wrecked already...AND still had to care for two other survivng children. On one hand I can relate with the message that needs to be sent for neglegence...on the other hand, I doubt there's any punishment that can be worse than living the rest of your life knowing you killed your kid. So I sway in teh direction of go ahead and investigate, but don't throw words around like "murder" or "manslaughter" until you are 1000% sure that's what it was. People make mistakes.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:09 AM

285 posts, read 1,072,086 times
I remember being in the city as the news story with the child dying. It was horrendous and I had two kids in carseats. I was really torn about the charge as well.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:11 AM

513 posts, read 2,111,704 times
"So I sway in teh direction of go ahead and investigate, but don't throw words around like "murder" or "manslaughter" until you are 1000% sure that's what it was. People make mistakes."

C'mon Metallisteve - are you kidding? "People make mistakes"? That is an understatement considering you're talking about the death of a child. It is at least manslaughter. It is negligence that results in the death of a child! How can anyone just forget their child ALL DAY?

Old 06-13-2008, 12:06 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,433 times
Once upon a time, I was working in DC in an office that happened to be located in a nice residential neighborhood.

DC summers get quite hot and muggy.

I noticed a dog left in car with the windows all the way up. I called the proper authorities, who released the animal and took it to the shelter. They warned me that I should "watch my back" and hope the owner of the car and the dog didn't see that it was me who had called in the report. I spent the rest of the summer on edge, hoping that I would not "get caught" for doing the right thing. Can you imagine???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte