Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 10:10 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times

Advertisements

Anyone else near Stanly county or surrounding areas have some heavy smoke in the air? It smells like smoke and the sun sure isn't shining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 10:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Does it smell like burning leaves?
If so it probably what is drifting from eastern North Carolina from the wildfire started by lightening that burn more than 3000 acres.

I was working in the triangle area and it was bad in Durham and Raleigh
It was so dense it look like a light fog over the area and in Raliegh it was a little more intense. There was cloud cover from the smoke and the sun had a blue red haze over it and some people said they had ash landing like snow.
What weird is that I saw people out jogging. I had to put eye drops in my eyes once I got out of that area.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:34 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
I've been through many wildfires coming from CA and this sure has that smell. I just can't imagine that smoke coming all the way to Albemarle/Stanly County from that wildfinre near the coast----it's suppose to be blowing more North I thought.. It is pretty hazey in our area whatever it is. If it is smoke I hope it blows out soon. If it's some kind of cloud cover, which I doubt, I just wish it would create some rain! I was just curious if anone else had noticed this today?!

Old 06-13-2008, 12:14 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I've been through many wildfires coming from CA and this sure has that smell. I just can't imagine that smoke coming all the way to Albemarle/Stanly County from that wildfinre near the coast----it's suppose to be blowing more North I thought.. It is pretty hazey in our area whatever it is. If it is smoke I hope it blows out soon. If it's some kind of cloud cover, which I doubt, I just wish it would create some rain! I was just curious if anone else had noticed this today?!
They said on last nights news that we may be smelling it in Charlotte by this weekend! It is a huge wildfire

Old 06-13-2008, 02:13 PM

I can see it is here now In Huntersville it very light right now but you can smell the sulfur

Old 06-13-2008, 02:15 PM

76 posts, read 291,489 times
We smelled it last night at our house near Troutman, in Iredell county. It was really hazy and the smoke smell was strong. It hasn't been as bad today during the day, but you can still smell it.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennej View Post
We smelled it last night at our house near Troutman, in Iredell county. It was really hazy and the smoke smell was strong. It hasn't been as bad today during the day, but you can still smell it.
The smell has a hint of sulfur to it.

It sad and amazing at the same time. I cant help but think of the wildlife that was killed or have no home now.

If anyone heads to OBX this summer share some photos of it with us when you past eastern nc region and share with us

Old 06-13-2008, 04:11 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
NC issues most severe air pollution warning ever

Cities under the Code Purple warning are: Edenton, Elizabeth City, Greenville, Plymouth, Roanoke Rapids, Rocky Mount, Tarboro, Washington and Wilson.

AIRNow - North Carolina Air Quality Conditions & Forecasts

Last edited by mm34b; 06-13-2008 at 04:27 PM..

Old 06-13-2008, 04:20 PM

280 posts, read 948,572 times
I am finishing up some classes at Virginia Tech during the week and the air was full of smoke yesterday from the NC fires and some fires burning up in VA (according to university relations). They recommended people go inside and turn on the AC because it got so bad.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:55 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,690,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
It sad and amazing at the same time. I cant help but think of the wildlife that was killed or have no home now.
Only about 10 minutes ago I was listening to the wildlife officials speaking about the displaced animals. And sadly talking about those that did not make it.
They did state that no animal species were severely effected as far as population. Not sure how they know that already....
And some animals they mentioned that they were keeping an eye on and found to be ok so far were the red wolf, a type of woodpecker and I forgot the last one.

I am a huge wildlife fan, so always have thoughts for those that did not make it in these wildfires.

Ok, well maybe not so much with bats these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte