U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 03:33 PM

11,838 posts, read 26,744,325 times

Advertisements

Charlotte Observer | 06/24/2008 | Citizens patrol Plaza Midwood - with guns (http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/683413.html - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 03:41 PM

35,883 posts, read 71,568,303 times
I wondered when someone was going to do this. I can't say I blame them. Yes, I can see how residents might be nervous about it. But you can bet - crime will go down. I just worry that the thugs will target people on patrol.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:46 PM

11,838 posts, read 26,744,325 times
I wonder what the police think about it all.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:02 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,878,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I wonder what the police think about it all.
From the article:
Quote:
“I'm glad that they're getting involved,” Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Sgt. Tonya Arrington said. “There's just some concern any time weapons are involved.”

Old 06-24-2008, 04:22 PM

Well, I think the Guardian Angel model - having citizens on the street - is what we need now. These thugs need to know SOMEONE IS WATCHING. They are brazen and arrogant b/c they know no one is watching them. They storm troop into a home and snatch and run . . . and laugh on the way out. Here in the South, it used to be, thugs knew they would get SHOT. Now, they know the police won't get there b/f they have grabbed the goods and left . . . and they also know the chances are slim or none that the homeowner possesses a gun . . .

Time we all took on the responsibility of not only protecting our own property, but noticing what is going on around us. And time the thugs figured out we are not going to just stand there, cell phone in hand, dialing 911 and waiting for the police to finally show up.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:31 PM

249 posts, read 456,579 times
So where in the city is Plaza Milwood?

Old 06-24-2008, 04:32 PM

330 posts, read 976,321 times
The comments section on that article was a fascinating read. If you have not read through them all, I highly suggest you do. Things that stood out to me:

1 - People associating crime with race, and not from the perspective you would think. There were a couple of comments from folks who, based on their race, would fear these armed neighborhood patrols. I am not sure if they were automatically assuming that the patrollers were racists, or actually associating their own race with the predominant race of the average criminal. I always thought of Charlotte as a city that did not have the racial problems that other cities had/have. I see far more of a class divide here than anything else, but I am still a relative newcomer.

2 - People assuming that the biggest proponents of gun rights are transplanted Northerners. What? Really? I thought that (based on the rural nature of much of the South throughout most of its history) Southerners were more apt to support gun rights than the typical Northerner, who usually comes from a more urban setting and is used to far more restrictive gun laws. Is it true that many native Southerners think that the transplanted Northerners are gun nuts?

3 - The perception by some that the 2nd amendment is a collective right. The Supreme Court will clear that one up, hopefully.

4 - The lowest rated comments were those in support of the neighborhood patrol, while the highest rated were those condemning gun ownership. Are Charlotteans anti-gun for the most part? I wouldn't have thought that for a second.

5 - A LOT of folks, even those who are against the idea of an armed neighborhood patrol, agree that CMPD is powerless to control crime in the city.

Personally, I think this story may be an example of overhyping, as this group only has "about five" members, but it will certainly be interesting to watch.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:40 PM

I find that very interesting that people think newcomers are gun proponents. The truth is - Southerners have always quietly had their guns in their homes . . . both for hunting and home protection. The attitude I have seen is that newcomers do not own guns and often are quite against gun ownership - and may even be afraid of firearms, b/c they have never been around guns. The exception would be former military.

Since Charlotte is now 2/3 non-native, it is quite possible that CLT has become more anti-gun, but historically NO - North Carolinians are pro-firearm.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:00 PM

6,955 posts, read 7,719,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I find that very interesting that people think newcomers are gun proponents. The truth is - Southerners have always quietly had their guns in their homes . . . both for hunting and home protection. The attitude I have seen is that newcomers do not own guns and often are quite against gun ownership - and may even be afraid of firearms, b/c they have never been around guns. The exception would be former military.

Since Charlotte is now 2/3 non-native, it is quite possible that CLT has become more anti-gun, but historically NO - North Carolinians are pro-firearm.
ani - I think that you and LAMF make some interesting points and observations. Being from a state that has very strict guns laws, it always strikes me as strange that the average person could go to a gun store and whipping out a credit card, leave with a gun. Many of the murders in my old home town were "stabbings" - something you don't see as much of down here. I have always had an ambivalent attitude in my thinking about guns. I thought it would be nice to have one if I needed one, but living in NJ, where the cops show up almost at the same moment that you hang up the phone, never really made me feel I needed one. I also feel much the same way living in Monroe, which has a pretty responsive police force. Charlotte itself is another matter though, I'd almost certainly have a gun by now if I lived there. There are just too many incidents where the police response time was simply abysmal.

As far as LAMF's point about so many newcomers being anti-gun, he may be partially right. There are be two possible choices for newcomers - to maintain their previous attitude or given the newfound freedom to own guns, go out and buy one and learn to shoot it. There will also be a subset of these new gun owners who would readily pay for the AK-47, Uzi, and a nuclear-tipped cruise missile if they are available at your friendly "Guns R Us". Most of the newbies would probably maintain their anti-gun thinking, hoping down the road, the police force would get a grip on property crime at some point.

I'm believe that the only way crime and especially property crime is going to go down substantially will be if Charlotte increases the size of its police force by about 25% (every Charlottean will start crying the tax blues) or that citizen patrols commit some Bernard Goetz-style executions that utterly shock the entire Charlotte community, kind of like that old film clip from the Vietnam War days, of General Giap nonchalantly shooting the Viet Cong soldier in the head. Those "head shots" are a lot more bloody than anything you see on CSI shows! Can you imagine the hue and cry from a posting of a "Charlotte Vigilante execution" on "Youtube" ? It might certainly drop the property crime in Plaza -Midwood for a while and encourage several visits from Al Sharpton! Neither one of these solutions will leave the entire population of Charlotte dancing in the streets, but one or the other wiil leave some on both sides of the gun issue strangely happier!

Old 06-24-2008, 06:02 PM

45,246 posts, read 94,434,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Charlotte Observer | 06/24/2008 | Citizens patrol Plaza Midwood - with guns (http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/683413.html - broken link)
All of Plaza Midwood is better off for these proactive citizens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte