Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2008, 01:21 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times

Advertisements

I think the old thread that was closed is an important and worthwhile subject matter that, for me at least, should be continued.
So, what are the challenges facing CLT??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 01:22 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
I was enjoying the conversation, too! But I think it is just temporarily shut down and will be opened again shortly.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:32 PM

285 posts, read 1,072,189 times
I am a little nervous that they are not taking more stronger methods in dealing with criminals.

It seems like within hours of being arrested, if they are even caught at all, they are released on bail.

I hope the newish sheriff will take a stricter stance on crime!

Old 07-05-2008, 01:35 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,835 times
Education must be addressed.
The school district is much too large to manage on a cost effective basis.
Several years ago the Charlotte Observer posted that buses run just under 100,000 miles per day in Mecklenburg County, which today must be a staggering cost.
I would love to utilize the local system but would never consider it until it was split into smaller, more autonomous, units.

Transportation must be addressed.
Main arteries are, and have been for sometime, at capacity, yet building continues.
It is short sighted to allow so much building off two lane roads (esp Union County currently) without widening the roads.

Beyond that I yearn for the smallest government and least taxes possible, but I will not hold my breath.
'The government is best which governs least' - Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-05-2008, 04:47 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,873,572 times
I absolutely agree with you other posters. The legal system has to have some...er.....a lot of reform. The crime here is common for a big city, but imagine what we could accomplish if these repeat offenders were behind bars where they should be. Also, I think infrastructure, as has been discussed many times before, needs to catch up with the growth. We have a great commerce community that is excellent in recruiting retail and other developments, but we need better roads, etc.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:24 PM

549 posts, read 1,741,418 times
Overcrowding and all the problems (schools, crime, infrastructure, etc) that come with it.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:42 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,465,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Beyond that I yearn for the smallest government and least taxes possible, but I will not hold my breath.
But everything you mentioned needs a larger, or more controlling government...

Old 07-06-2008, 02:54 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Education must be addressed.
The school district is much too large to manage on a cost effective basis.
Several years ago the Charlotte Observer posted that buses run just under 100,000 miles per day in Mecklenburg County, which today must be a staggering cost.
I would love to utilize the local system but would never consider it until it was split into smaller, more autonomous, units.

Transportation must be addressed.
Main arteries are, and have been for sometime, at capacity, yet building continues.
It is short sighted to allow so much building off two lane roads (esp Union County currently) without widening the roads.

I like the Thomas Jefferson quote...and to think he is the father of the Democratic party!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte