Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2007, 05:50 PM

3 posts, read 9,004 times

Advertisements

We are looking into moving to Charlotte and I wanted to hear from some of you who currently live in developments what some of the common HOA rules are - i.e. fencing restrictions, dogs allowed in backyard?, able to plant trees on property? (front and/or back), etc.... Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 07:07 PM

543 posts, read 1,818,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemay324 View Post
We are looking into moving to Charlotte and I wanted to hear from some of you who currently live in developments what some of the common HOA rules are - i.e. fencing restrictions, dogs allowed in backyard?, able to plant trees on property? (front and/or back), etc.... Thanks!
Some of the things off the top of my head for us in Huntersville (Rosedale):

All changes for any improvements to lots or homes must be submitted to and approved by architectural committee.

Fences need 1 inch of space for every 6 inches of wood, nothing taller than 6 feet allowed. No chain link fences allowed.

No more than 3 outside pets (dogs) per house, no livestock allowed.

Front yard plantings are supposed to be approved but I don't think there's too many people submitting plans for new plantings.

No statues or organizational flags allowed.

Satellite dishes need to be approved and must not be visible from the street unless approved.

Trash cans must not be visible from the street and must be removed within 24 hours of pickup.

Holiday decorations must be removed within two weeks of the holidays passing.

No above ground pools other than temporary kiddie pools, inground pools need aproval.

No overnight parking on the street (not enforced).

No commercial vehicles to be parked in driveways(not enforced)

No parking of boats or rv's in driveway. You may park them in the backyard but they may not be visible from the street.

In reality there's nobody policing us and looking for infractions, yet. I'm sure there'll be some neighbors eventually that will think it's their job but as long as you keep your yard neat and clean and get everything approved nobody will bother you.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:08 PM

630 posts, read 1,869,766 times
I was wondering how strict HOAs were as well. I was looking online at the rules for Cambridge Grove in Huntersville (http://www.cambridgegrove.com/PDF%20Documents/CGHOA%20Declaration.pdf (broken link)) top of page 18 and one of them was that you couldn't repair your automobile in your driveway or garage. Thats definitly not the place for me.

Also are there any HOA horror stories and places new buyers should avoid.

Last edited by flexysteve; 01-25-2007 at 12:19 PM..

Old 01-25-2007, 12:39 PM

218 posts, read 251,375 times
I would steer clear of any HOA managed by Abbott Enterprises if at all possible. They are CROOKED!

When my case is settled, I will share the story

Old 01-25-2007, 02:27 PM

201 posts, read 608,908 times
KatieMay,

Living in a subd. administered by an HOA is entering into a contract with a legal entity, a Corporation registered with the State. You relinquish many rights as a property owner in this arrangement. It's not a neighborhood assoc. or communtiy club by any means.
Enforcement of CC&R's (code, covenants, and restrictions) can be very subjective and very often reflects the personality of your elected board. Lawyers love em because of the amount of work they generate for them. Courts tend to honor that written contract where you signed so many rights away.
Tread carefully, do your due diligence to see if you think it's a good fit. The arrangement works great for some not so for others. Good luck.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:34 PM

172 posts, read 582,400 times
I agree with the HOA rules where I am buying. I wish they had them here. I am sick of the junk my neighbors have in their yard.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:01 PM

221 posts, read 743,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieM View Post
KatieMay,

Living in a subd. administered by an HOA is entering into a contract with a legal entity, a Corporation registered with the State. You relinquish many rights as a property owner in this arrangement. It's not a neighborhood assoc. or communtiy club by any means.
Enforcement of CC&R's (code, covenants, and restrictions) can be very subjective and very often reflects the personality of your elected board. Lawyers love em because of the amount of work they generate for them. Courts tend to honor that written contract where you signed so many rights away.
Tread carefully, do your due diligence to see if you think it's a good fit. The arrangement works great for some not so for others. Good luck.
HOA'S seem to be very common in Union Cty, NC. It is the first I ever heard. In NY these only really exist with condo's and co-ops.
I was looking in Bridle that did not have amenities and they still had an HOA with fees of $40 a mth. Seems like you cant get away with it.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:05 PM

60 posts, read 287,453 times
FYI-Per FCC rules, as long as a satellite dish is under, I think, 36 inches diameter, not installed in an unsafe area, and not on a historical building, a HOA can not deny it. You could put it on your front door, and they could not do a thing.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:57 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,061,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threesons View Post
HOA'S seem to be very common in Union Cty, NC. It is the first I ever heard. In NY these only really exist with condo's and co-ops.
I was looking in Bridle that did not have amenities and they still had an HOA with fees of $40 a mth. Seems like you cant get away with it.
There ARE subdivisions without HOAs. We live in one.

However, for the record, $40 sounds minimal.

SL

Old 01-25-2007, 11:16 PM

221 posts, read 743,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
There ARE subdivisions without HOAs. We live in one.

However, for the record, $40 sounds minimal.

SL
where, do you mind me asking. Also $40 is minimal, but for what is this paying AND do they have the authority to tell you what an what not you can do to your house and on your property?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: