U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Charlotte: humid summers, public schools, neighborhoods to live, above middle income

Old 07-09-2008, 07:20 PM
GLZ GLZ started this thread

1 posts, read 1,674 times

Advertisements

HI everyone:

MY husband and I could really use all of your input. We are considering moving to Charlotte from Buffalo, NY (as so many before us!) but don't know enough about Charlotte. Here are our questions:

1. Weather. Does it get very humid in the summer? We have a toddler. Could we take her out to play in the summer or would it be too hot. We're not worried about winters (not from where we come from!). Does it get past 100 degrees often?

2. Schools. How are the schools? If we were to live in the suburbs where are the best schools, including public schools.

3. Neighborhoods to live. Where do people like us (we're both in our mid 30s, professionals, one toddler, above middle income) live? We would probably rent first but then look to buy a house. Where are the best areas to rent, probably need 1,000 sq ft, about $1,000 hopefully. Where are the best areas to buy a house, don't want a commute longer than 35 min if possible from Charlotte downtown.

4. Others from NE. Has anyone here made the same switch from the NE or Western New York? We're two professionals and we wouldn't move without finding a job first. But if my husband does find one, then we might have to move in a flash, or reasonably soon. Did you have any problems making the adjustment from the NE?

5. Food, arts, diversity. We need to have a reasonably diverse population, cuisine, etc. Does Charlotte have good sushi? indian? spanish? mexican? What about entertainment, zoo, shopping. We lived in NYC before Buffalo and don't expect anything like it but how developed is the downtown. Do people shop there or in the suburbs.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 08:44 PM

56 posts, read 149,390 times
1. Weather
three months of every season. none to the extreme. summer gets hot for a couple of weeks, but it is summer, it should get hot.

2. Schools ...good private schools in south clt. ...weddington/marvin has great schools

3. Neighborhoods to live. ...you have a lot to choose from.

4. Others from NE. I have lived in clt for 25 years ...know a lot of happy NE-ers.

5. Food, arts, diversity. ...it is getting better.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:48 PM

7,937 posts, read 19,099,870 times
we are from NY and NJ and the whether is great here despite weeks it gets really hot...but not Northeast Hot....Schools we live in Marvin/Waxhaw which is in Union County, schools are Excellent...our area is 45-55 minutes to uptown...we are 3 miles to the major highway.

and developments you would have ALOT to choose from..S.charlotte schools are also very good, there are alot of young professionals that live there and im sure are above middle as there is alot of money in Ballantyne Area as well as Union County...so I dont think housing is going to be a problem for you....as far as Toddlers go again depends on what type of development/home your looking for.....u will find a Ton of little ones...

as far as food Excellent Sushi, No Spanish that is decent, Excellent Mexican food our favorite place is La Unica in Indian Trail...Indian I dont know about as I dont eat it...but i know there are a few places around...

Shopping no shortage of that here.....Cultural Arts not too sure about, I will say Charlotte in General is a very Family Oriented place which is what we love about it...there is a place called lazy5 ranch in Moorseville or Huntersville which is supposed to be really nice we are going to try and get there soon....

We are here a year and again we love it....

Old 07-09-2008, 09:56 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,565,759 times
I know I'll step on toes here, but S Charlotte is not the only place with good schools. University City Elem and Mallard Creek Elem are two highly rated schools- and both are in University City area. However, most of the folks in this part of town are just middle class, so if you're looking for more, certainly focus on the south side.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:21 PM

36 posts, read 130,555 times
Charlotte has some good magnet programs, just check out Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/programs/magnet/index.asp - broken link) and see if there's anything that interests you/your kids.

It is definitely a good idea to rent before you buy. Give yourself some time to explore the area and find out what suits you best. Many people will suggest the suburbs to you but I would never want to live out there. If you live in an in-town neighborhood you will not have to deal with much traffic.

There is very, very little shopping in downtown proper right now but there some things planned for the future and there is shopping in the areas right around downtown. We do have a new Target, Home Depot, and Best Buy and will soon have Marshalls and Staples just outside downtown. In terms of malls and big box shopping, you have to go to the suburbs for most right now.

There are great restaurants of most cuisines here.
The NC state zoo is in Asheboro, about 1.5 hours away.
As far as entertainment, there are a lot of local theatres and well as national touring plays, concerts, comedy, etc. I love the local music scene here. There are also several great museums and a children's library/theatre downtown.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:12 PM

45,246 posts, read 94,969,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
I know I'll step on toes here, but S Charlotte is not the only place with good schools. University City Elem and Mallard Creek Elem are two highly rated schools- and both are in University City area. However, most of the folks in this part of town are just middle class, so if you're looking for more, certainly focus on the south side.
I have to agree with you Hoagie - while south Charlotte might have the largest concentration of good schools in one area, there are good schools scattered all around the city and county for sure

Old 07-10-2008, 08:55 PM

140 posts, read 300,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I have to agree with you Hoagie - while south Charlotte might have the largest concentration of good schools in one area, there are good schools scattered all around the city and county for sure
Well, yes and no. Depending where in Jersey u r coming from, you may not even find the schools in Marvin to be as good.
I'm not saying these are mediocre schools, they are indeed good just not NJ good, after all you do pay a helva school taxes up there.

If good schools are a must you must check South Charlotte first. I lived in NJ for a while and have helped a few folks to move here to NC and they all love it. This is a great place to live IMO you will not regret it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte