Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 03:18 PM

797 posts, read 3,294,619 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of joining the ballantyne Y so my child could swim in the waterpark they have . Do they sell a day pass so we can test it out to see if he'd like it? We'd only want to go for the rest of the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 03:28 PM

264 posts, read 918,067 times
They do. It's sort of expensive, though. Do you know anyone who goes there? it's so easy to piggyback another kid in with you if you have a family membership. Yes, I know it's cheating, but I pay my $1000+ a year and hardly use anything but the pool, so I don't feel guilty about slipping in an extra kiddo or two per summer. Besides, I have a college-aged stepdaughter who is on our membership and she never uses the facilities.

If you do pay to get in, I think it's about $10 a person. Another thought: You might meet with a membership person and see if you can get a trial pass, especially if you explain to them that you've just moved here and are seriously considering joining.

Honestly having the pool at the Morrison and Siskey and Harris available to us throughout the summer is worth more than the annual fees. We love it.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:28 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingrlclt View Post
I was thinking of joining the ballantyne Y so my child could swim in the waterpark they have . Do they sell a day pass so we can test it out to see if he'd like it? We'd only want to go for the rest of the summer.
You should be able to go, and ask for a single day pass, for free. Membership to the Y is actually pretty pricey in Charlotte- $93 for 2 adults and kids per month.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:37 PM

That seems crazy to pay $100 a month just to use the pool a few times a month. We'd only use it on weekends. They should have different rates for summer as I don't use any of the fitness stuff etc. Just want to take my kid to the pool.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
That seems crazy to pay $100 a month just to use the pool a few times a month. We'd only use it on weekends. They should have different rates for summer as I don't use any of the fitness stuff etc. Just want to take my kid to the pool.
I forgot to mention the "joining fee", which I believe is about $150.

YMCA of Greater Charlotte

The Y here is really a rip off, compared to other cities I've lived in. They do have "financial aid", but as I understand if you make more than $35,000/yr don't hold your breath.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:07 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
They do have free joining fees at least once a year, typically in April. I have many friends who say they join at the end of April so that they can use the pool for the summer and then cancel in the fall.

They should let you try it out for FREE! What better way to sell the place than to have 3 or 4 kids BEGGING to go back !

Dawn

Old 07-10-2008, 06:47 PM

264 posts, read 918,067 times
I've often thought they should have a summer swim membership. But honestly, $93 a month for four people, considering all the Y has to offer...I don't think it's expensive if you make good use of the facilities. We've been to just about every pool and waterpark in the Charlotte area, including the Baxter Y, which has a great outdoor facility. We've participated in soccer, basketball, day camp, parent's night out, swim team, pottery classes, swim lessons, aerobic classes, regular use of the gym (my spouse, not me ) and so on. When you consider how much you pay for other things, is $93 for four really all that much?

The only program we've participate in that I'm not 100% behind was the day camp at the Hemby Center. It's much more suited to a child who's used to daycare than one who really wants a "camp" experience. I also thought the children were not supervised as closely as they should have been. On the other hand, the kid's program at the Morrison Y is awesome. They have Parent's Night Out, plus occasional lock-ins and other events for the 6-to12's that are just great. Even a Mardi Gras "dance" this year.

If you use it, there's not a better bargain in town than the YMCA. And compared to where I am from, these are like upscale health clubs or, in reference to the pools, resorts or country clubs. The YMCA in my hometown was a couple of exercise bikes and a half-court bb court and a few soccer teams, and that was about it. I consider the Charlotte YMCA system top notch!

p.s. There are some neighborhood swim clubs you can join if you only want a pool for weekends. Or get a season pass to Carowinds? We use the YMCA pool at least four times a week in the summer, so we do get our money's worth.

Last edited by solnechko; 07-10-2008 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: ps

Old 07-11-2008, 06:08 AM

We work during the week so we would only be able to go on the weekend. I'm not looking to utilize any of the exercise or other programs. My son is only 2 and can't really benefit from anything else. I really wish they would offer a special summer rate just for the pool. There are no local pools to join in our area. The Y is the closest place. Driving to Carowinds is just not feasible as that is a whole day excursion.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:27 AM

777 posts, read 2,567,022 times
Quote:
Well you really don't have much of a choice. The Y is worth the money if you utilize everything they offer but overpriced if you just want to work out or swim. We have a family membership and use the gym, pool, classes, kids classes, etc so we get our moneys worth.

As a paying member myself, I wouldn't want the Y to offer "pool rates" because I think the pool is crowded enough. They have to keep the crowds down somehow and I think the $10 day pass is the way they do it. You have to rememeber between the Harris and Morrison Y, there are close to 40,000 members!

Old 07-11-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post
Well you really don't have much of a choice. The Y is worth the money if you utilize everything they offer but overpriced if you just want to work out or swim. We have a family membership and use the gym, pool, classes, kids classes, etc so we get our moneys worth.

As a paying member myself, I wouldn't want the Y to offer "pool rates" because I think the pool is crowded enough. They have to keep the crowds down somehow and I think the $10 day pass is the way they do it. You have to rememeber between the Harris and Morrison Y, there are close to 40,000 members!
Well, you'd think with 40,000 members they'd be able to budget better, and drop those rates! I searched several cities yesterday- Baltimore, Memphis, San Antonio, Minneapolis, Denver, and Charlotte had the highest family rates of all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte